• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should we get DAS return for FOP and get FP for Na'vi?

atisikitabasket

Mom Always Said I was a Little Off
We are a party of 6. My oldest son will have DAS. He really wants to ride FOP with my husband and daughter but me, grandma and little brother 4 do not. We all want to ride Na'vi. I thought since we all want to ride that one together I should try and get a FP+ for it and get a DAS return time for FOP for the 3 that want to do it. then we can all use our FP+ while we wait for their DAS return time. Is that how you would do it also since everyone doesn't want FOP?

the line for FOP can be very long ( like over 90 minutes) and it will not take you that long to ride the river one. if your sone can wait that long to ride FOP then this could be a good way to use the DAS if not you might want to FP FOP for the 3 riding it and then get a DAS for the river one ( much shorter line normally).

when we were there over the winter, not during a busy time, the line for FOP was 4 hours long, and the wait for the navi river was 2 hours. I would probably do das for navi and get fastpass for fop, so that your das isn't tied up all day long.

I would also suggest Fastpass for FOP and use DAS for the Na’vi River ride for the same reason others mentioned.

I just looked the other day and the standby line for FOP was 4 hours (it is Spring break, so very busy)

My son, who also will be using DAS wants to ride both FOP and Na'vi Ride this year. Last year he was fine with just Na'vi, but after watching the movie Avatar, he has shown interest in riding FOP. I plan on getting there at rope drop and picking up a DAS return for FOP, since he has other rides that he wants to do before we head over there. On a side note, it would be nice if the CM could spread "pixie dust" and schedule the return time a little shorter than a 4 hour wait.

We will have to DAS FOP. Our window opened today and at 60+3 FOP FP was evening so I got Na'vi early in the morning then we will grab a DAS for FOP that way we can still grab 4th and on FP+ for other attractions as we can after we use our other 3 FP and wait for his DAS return. I just hope he handles the crowds and the heat well. We normally go in a cooler less crowded November time but I know we will have fun!

We will have to DAS FOP. Our window opened today and at 60+3 FOP FP was evening so I got Na'vi early in the morning then we will grab a DAS for FOP that way we can still grab 4th and on FP+ for other attractions as we can after we use our other 3 FP and wait for his DAS return. I just hope he handles the crowds and the heat well. We normally go in a cooler less crowded November time but I know we will have fun!
I was not able to get FOP for the morning either. So I did the river one at 9 and I have the Safari at 10 my plane is to get a FOP DAS go do my FP for river then go do the safari and then hopefully the DAS Return will be up. I would have rather used my DAS for river one

My son, who also will be using DAS wants to ride both FOP and Na'vi Ride this year. Last year he was fine with just Na'vi, but after watching the movie Avatar, he has shown interest in riding FOP. I plan on getting there at rope drop and picking up a DAS return for FOP, since he has other rides that he wants to do before we head over there. On a side note, it would be nice if the CM could spread "pixie dust" and schedule the return time a little shorter than a 4 hour wait.

The folks who really need pixie dust are those standing in line for four hours without taking a break on another ride. Remember, the reason you have a four hour return time is because there are people waiting in line for four hours. It is already a huge amount of pixie dust that you get to do other attractions while you wait.

Wait, the system allows you to get a DAS and FP for two tier one rides at the same time? Can that be right, I thought you can’t be in 2 lines at the same time?

Just be prepared to have to actually wait a bit to get to ask for the DAS at rope drop. Trying to get past hundreds of other guests who are ahead of you all heading to FOP can be tricky. It's a pretty big crowd, and it can extend past the entrance. Also, depending on the size of the crowd, access directly to the CM that gives out DAS may be restricted due to crowd management. If that would be upsetting for your child, you might want to wait until they get the crowds in order before attempting to get through it all.

The folks who really need pixie dust are those standing in line for four hours without taking a break on another ride. Remember, the reason you have a four hour return time is because there are people waiting in line for four hours. It is already a huge amount of pixie dust that you get to do other attractions while you wait.
I don't think there was a need for that type of comment. First off, people choose whether or not to wait 4 hours for a ride. Saying that, I also know that Disney inflates their wait time. So asking for this is not unreasonable. I'm not asking for a 90 minute return time. At the end of they day my son rides FOP once and the person who uses FPP or Stand-by rides FOP rides it once. The DAS is to help him to have the same opportunity.

First off, people choose whether or not to wait 4 hours for a ride.

Just like you choose whether or not to tie up your DAS for four hours - no difference at all.

The DAS is to help him to have the same opportunity.

Yes, after waiting the full four hours, just like the people in line. Only difference is that your son is able to ride three or four other rides during that time, as opposed to those who are just standing in line.

I'm all for the DAS, and think its a great accommodation for those who need it and qualify, so my comments aren't based on "oh, woe is me, I have to wait in line while they get to ride stuff'. They're based on the opinion that when you are able to have an accommodation that meets your son's needs, and there is bonus of extra rides that comes with it, asking for that accommodation to be even more generous than it already is seems, IMO, out of line.

YMMV.

I don’t agree with the poster about being nice to get a shorter return, but I wouldn’t call “huge amount of pixie dust” a pass for Disability, it’s sounds like is a privilege to be disabled and get a DAS for it.

My family and I have been visiting Disney World annually, since my son was 5 years old. He is now 18. During those many visits, we made sure never to take "advantage" because of his disabilities. This means taking into account the wait times of the attractions and dividing it by the park hours for that day. So let's say the average wait time for the majority of rides is 90 minutes and you are at the park for 5 hours, so that would give you time to ride about 3 to 4 rides for that day. I also utilize FPP more so than DAS, to keep things "fair".

This whole discussion isn’t very nice- I’m sure DAS holders are just appreciative to enjoy this time with their families that isn’t as much of a struggle as it may be in day to day life.

We do a FP+ for FoP and get a DAS for Navi. (My adult special needs son gets the DAS). This seems to work out better for us overall, the return time is shorter. (well, so far we did this only once so far lol, we are not local).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter