• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should we just cancel?

We leave in a week. All this stuff about Fastpass + is getting me down. I don't even want to go now. I've been waiting for this trip since July. I don't want to let this ruin it. If the standby lines are shorter, can we just use them instead?

Yes, of course you can just use the shorter standby lines. And, while you're on that shorter line, log on to MDE and change your FP+ for something else later in the day.

As to all the rest, the Serenity Prayer:
Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

You can't change FP+. All you can change is your reaction to it. Had you never read any of the negative reviews, it's entirely that you would react with "Wow, even if it's only 3 FPs, at least I KNOW I'm getting on Soarin' without waiting an hour for it or having to make rope drop."

You cannot control Disney policy. What you can control is whether or not you choose to let this change ruin your vacation.

I do not like FP+ at all (and I have used it). And I have trips to WDW planned for June and August. I planned the August trip after I'd used FP+. Even though I don't like FP, I'll still love my trips.

I definitely wouldn't cancel a fully paid for trip a week before you leave. Go and enjoy (and be sure to give Disney your feedback on FP+ when you return, whether it's positive or negative)

I'd say the thoughts on fp are just about evenly split positive and negative, so why assume one way or another how you'll feel about it. Go with an open mind.

Canceling the whole trip because you don't like the sound of FP+ is like canceling the whole trip because you have a 1/8 inch paper cut on your finger.

I don't know if people have posted more negative than positive reviews of FP+. All I do know is that I went in December and while I was there I posted a review, which also included some helpful work-arounds if your ride reservations weren't coming up (we had minor problems in two of our parks, which were easily corrected/compensated for).

My positive review lasted all of six hours on this board, before getting bumped to the Theme Parks Community board.

Evidently, someone considered it off-topic on a theme parks planning and strategies board. :rotfl:

In any case, I had a great time. Other folks have had great times. I expect I'll have another great time when we return to Disney in April. FP+ is not a big deal. Just pick up a copy of the Unofficial Guide, and bookmark EasyWDW.com, and you'll be fine!

This site is entertaining, and occasionally helpful, but it's FAR from being my go-to resource for planning a successful Disney vacation.

I am not a fan of FP+ at all...but I love Disney more than I hate FP+ so it will be a cold day in hell before I consider not going on our vacation this September because of it. Instead, my plan is to study the boards and the FP+ threads (both positive and negative) learn everything I can about the program and how best to utilize what I consider to be a craptacular system. I will educate myself about the ins and outs and ups and downs so that in the end I make better use of it than Joe-Average visitor just like I used to do with Original-Recipe FP.

Enjoy your trip!

Don't even think about canceling!!! Go and have fun!! Worst come to to worst just wait standby. People have done way before any FP was introduced and they all survived. Enjoy your trip and dont let some of the posts get you down. I've read bad stories but I've also read about people having a fantastic time with the new system...go make memories with your fam :)

Go and have fun. I believe that Disney new FP+ system is having growing pains. It is a new system and the kinks have to be worked out. I am sure they are learning from the mistakes and taking in what guests are saying.

Disney is enjoyable at some level for everyone.

Now is one of the best times to come and visit Disney. The weather should be nice, probably going to be in the 70s to low 80s and the Spring Break crowds haven't arrived in force yet. While Fastpass + is affecting wait times, the overall Disney experience is still very good. I think the best approach is to take a relaxed approach to visiting the parks. Pick out those three must do rides at the park your going to that day and strategically approach the stand by lines; visiting the less popular attractions during the day and saving the more popular attractions for opening or late in the evening. There are also many hidden gems at Disney [attractions/activities/experiences] both in and out of the parks to experience. Don't cancel, come and visit Disney :drive:

Based on what I've seen on my wait times app, the times seem reasonable. But of course that could change in a week. I've never been down there at this time of year so I'm anxious to see how the crowds are, especially with Mardi gras

My positive review lasted all of six hours on this board, before getting bumped to the Theme Parks Community board.

Evidently, someone considered it off-topic on a theme parks planning and strategies board. :rotfl:

I would assume it got moved because it was considered a trip report and the moderators feel that trip reports are a better fit on the community board, per the sticky titled, "Looking for the Live Report and Just Back Threads?". However, I'll concede that a lot of trip reports don't get moved over there even when they say "here now" or "just back" right in the thread titles. ;)

I just got back from WDW and we had a fantastic time. It's different than the old system and different can scare people, but honestly, it did not make or break my vacation. There were certain things I liked about FP+, some things I didn't, but, on balance, I found that it made my vacation far less stressful because I didn't have to race to the FP machines to ride TSMM or Soarin' or Test Track. I had Fastpasses before I left and it made it possible for me to know I could ride all of my favorites even though I was there for President's Week. Even the tiering is workable. Just make sure you hit rope drop, go straight to the ride you didn't fastpass and ride that then. If you stay offsite, get to rope drop early so you're at the front of the line to make your fastpass picks. Then hit the rides for which you do not have fastpasses.

I wouldn't cancel a vacation over FP+. It's not as terrible as people are making it out to be. Seriously.

We were there the first week in February. We had no issues with FP+, it actually worked great for us. I was able to change things if needed throughout the day. We had an amazing trip, and you will too!

I was there at the same time, and this pretty much mirrors my experience. Great time at the parks, great time at the Yacht Club, met some great people and some very friendly CM's. FP+ and MM+ worked flawlessly for us in every respect.

So much so that we booked another stay for flower and garden and a second stay for the second week of September. On top of that, we'll be going at least four or five times for a day or overnight trip between now and then as we are AP holders and live just over an hour away. Opinions are opinions, and your life is yours to live. Live it. Go and have a great time..:)

We are here now, we too were worried but so far so good. i have changed our FP+ 3x today already based on lower than expected wait times, I do think we walked a little less too. We are on our afternoon break from MK now, kiddos napping and we're relaxing. An example: we arrived at 9am, ate breakfast at CP, got to Fantasyland about 10am. We rode Peter Pan, Mermaid, Dumbo, Barnstormer, Space Mtn, Buzz Lightyear, BTMR ( with fp+) and Haunted Mansion. Then we had lunch at Be Our Guest (also with FP+) watched a litlle of the parade, took a few pics and were on our bus back to POR at 3:17pm. We plan to go back tonight around 7pm or we may not, we'll see what the kiddos want to do. We all felt today worked out great and we only used one of our 3 ride fp's and we had very minimal whining and wait times:) Have Fun!

You know, I'm really glad I started this thread because as I said before and I'll say it again, it's really nice and refreshing to hear all the positve things people have to say about Fastpass+. There's far too much negativity everywhere else on here. I need to be around the positve people. Walt would want that.:goodvibes:cloud9:

Also wanted to add some sample days from our trip. We saw everything that we wanted to see.

MK day 1 (late arrival)
- Arrived in park at around 3:45. Did some Photopass pictures.
- Had a 4:00 Fastpass for ETWB. Waited about 5 minutes for the next show.
- After ETWB, we checked UTS but the wait was really long (it was the day before President's Day and an EMH evening) . So we headed to Dumbo.
- Waited about 20 minutes for Dumbo while the kids played in the playground. Rode Dumbo.
- After Dumbo, we headed to Frontierland. We had a FP+ for BTMRR. Got baby swap pass. Rode BTMRR with FP+ and Baby swap pass.
- We then went into some shops in Frontierland and headed to our dinner ADR at Liberty Tree Tavern.
- After dinner, we rode Haunted Mansion. Waited about 20 minutes in Standby.
- Then headed to Fantasyland and rode IASW.
- Then used our FP+ for Peter Pan. Wait was less than 5 minutes with FP+
- Saw Mickey's Philharmagic. Waited 10 minutes for next show.
- Then walked towards main street for Wishes and realized that DD lost a toy.
- Saw Wishes from Fantasyland after backtracking to find lost toy.
- After Wishes, we headed to Frontierland to replace lost toy. Then headed to Adventureland. Rode Jungle Cruise (walked on)
- Then did Photopass pictures and headed to Main Street and watched the electrical parade. Then headed out of the park.

On our other MK day (Wednesday after President's Day, late arrival), we got to the park at 10:45 and rode:
- POTC (waited around 10 minutes)
- Saw the Jack Sparrow Pirate tutorial
- Toured the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse
- Lunch at Pecos Bills
- Winnie the Pooh (FP+)
- Teacups (waited 5 minutes)
- Buzz Lightyear (FP+)
- Got the kids' faces painted
- Space Mountain (FP+, baby swapped)
- Rode People Mover during Space Mountain baby swap
- Headed to BoG for a dinner ADR
- Rode Under the Sea(ride had broken down, but we waited outside and walked on 5 minutes later)
- Rode Tomorrow Land speedway (waited around 5 minutes)
- Did Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor
- Rode Space Mountain with the Baby Swap pass
- We all rode the People Mover
- Rode the Barnstormer
- Left park about 1.5 hours before 11 PM closing.

Epcot: Had a breakfast at Akershus at 8:45, finished up at around 9:45 or so. Headed to Future World:
- Character Spot, 10 minute wait.
- Had a FP+ for Mission Space. Wait was 5 minutes. Rode standby, switched FP+ to Nemo for later in the day.
- Baby Swapped Mission Space. Had a 11:45 Fastpass for Test Track (3 in our party). Got there at 11:30. Picked up the baby swap pass. My cousins took my 3 year old to Innoventions. At 11:40 we entered Fastpass. Waited about 5 minutes to get to the design room.
- Baby swapped. Then headed to The Land and ate lunch. Headed to Nemo. We had a FP+ for later in the day, but the standby wait at 1:00 was 5 minutes. Rode Nemo. Then went to Turtle Talk.
- Waited 10 minutes for Turtle Talk. Saw the show. Then toured the Seas and saw the dolphin show.
- Headed to the Land and picked up our baby swap pass for Soarin'. The other 3 people used a fastpass.
- While my middle DD and cousins rode Soarin', my 3 year old, 9 year old, and me rode Living with the Land 2x.
- My 2 DDs, one cousin and I, then used the baby swap pass for Soarin' while my cousin's husband rode living with the Land with my 3 year old.
- We then headed to Figment. Walked on.
- Then we decided to hit the World Showcase and skip Spaceship Earth. The wait was less than 5 minutes but we didn't want to backtrack.

I can't believe that you are seriously considering cancelling your trip to Walt Disney World, the Happiest Place on Earth!!!, because of what strangers are saying on a message board!!!! :confused3 Please go and have a good time and judge things for yourself!!!!!! I promise you will have a wonderful time!!! It's Disney World for goodness sakes!!!! :)

I won't say that I love FP+, but it worked ok for our Dec trip other than not being able to hop to another park and get a FP. We had also made our FP+'s before the tiers went into effect. And more than 3 would definitely be nice, especially in MK.

But, I would definitely not cancel your trip! I think if you did that, the whole week you were supposed to be on vacay, but were at home instead, you'd be sad and doubting yourself and whether you should have cancelled or not. I think you'd definitely be regretting not going on your long planned trip that you were so excited for, and also regretting not at least checking things for yourself as far as how FP+ would work for you. There will still be lots of other things you'll love and enjoy as you always have, besides just your FP's. I'm sure you know that Disney is about lots more than just FP's! And, of course you can always use stand by lines at any time if you'd rather do that!

Go and have a wonderful trip! Be interested to hear afterwards, how things actually go for you! :)

Take everything you read here with a grain of salt. People are more likely to post about negative experiences rather than positive ones.

I have used FP+ twice - December and last week - with no issues. It was fantastic! I wrote up a few tips that you might find helpful. You can find them here (shameless plug hehe):

http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2014/02/03/tips-for-using-walt-disney-worlds-fastpass/

Have fun, and enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter