Should We Rent My Mom a Wheelchair or Scooter?

Disneytrippin'

DIS Veteran
My mom is totally new to this and has never used a wheelchair or scooter. She will not be able to walk much, she uses a cane but might need a walker soon. I told her we would rent her a scooter. She suggested a wheelchair and someone could assist her.

At first I thought a scooter would be better. After thinking about it, she doesn't have experience driving one and would probably get anxious trying to dodge everyone. So, I thought maybe having someone maneuver her might help her not stress.

Any thoughts or experiences navigating the parks with either would be appreciated. I wonder if it would be easier to get out of a wheelchair then off a scooter too. I just don't know what getting around with her will be like.

T.I.A!

My mom is totally new to this and has never used a wheelchair or scooter. She will not be able to walk much, she uses a cane but might need a walker soon. I told her we would rent her a scooter. She suggested a wheelchair and someone could assist her.

At first I thought a scooter would be better. After thinking about it, she doesn't have experience driving one and would probably get anxious trying to dodge everyone. So, I thought maybe having someone maneuver her might help her not stress.

Any thoughts or experiences navigating the parks with either would be appreciated. I wonder if it would be easier to get out of a wheelchair then off a scooter too. I just don't know what getting around with her will be like.

T.I.A!
who in your group will be pushing? would not plan on her being able to self propel. if she goes to any stores at home that have ones to use in store have her try out and get some skills. ps I find it harder to get out of chair than off scooter. make sure she does not try to get out without putting up footrest. and she is still going to worry about hitting people cause they are that close at times. plus people walking do not seem to see a wheelchair because it is that low but this is also true with scooters

How much does she walk with the cane? When we go for a walk, my DH uses a rollator. To walk from car to church, he uses a cane. She could walk with the wheelchair at times and someone can push her at times. My DH is really afraid of trying to use a scooter in the parks and the buses.

the first trip my mom needed assistance we did a wheelchair. She is petite, 110 lbs. and it was exhausting pushing her around. Three of us took turns and were still sore at the end of the day. We definitely felt like we had to dodge people even with the wheelchair. People stepping in front of us, trying to get in front of us thinking we would slow them down.
Next trip we did a scooter. She was anxious of driving it, so I took her to grocery stores to practice on the scooters there. She was afraid to hit stuff, so we would go early in the mornings to practice.
We would go up and down aisles, back up, do turns, 3 point turns, anything I could think of that she would probably have to do.
We rent one every time now from local Orlando providers, as we can get one smaller and easier to maneuver than the Disney ones. If she can drive the big clunkers at the grocery store, she can drive the ones in Disney no problem. She will still have to be alert while driving around the parks- people do try to get in front of you, or are just completely oblivious and walk in front of you, but the difference this has made is incredible, and has given her freedom to move where and when she wants.
Not sure of the Covid protocol now, but in the past bus drivers always helped us load, and the smaller models an adult can manually move into place (we rent light weight portable models)
I hope our experience helps you, and have a wonderful trip.

the first trip my mom needed assistance we did a wheelchair. She is petite, 110 lbs. and it was exhausting pushing her around. Three of us took turns and were still sore at the end of the day. We definitely felt like we had to dodge people even with the wheelchair. People stepping in front of us, trying to get in front of us thinking we would slow them down.
Next trip we did a scooter. She was anxious of driving it, so I took her to grocery stores to practice on the scooters there. She was afraid to hit stuff, so we would go early in the mornings to practice.
We would go up and down aisles, back up, do turns, 3 point turns, anything I could think of that she would probably have to do.
We rent one every time now from local Orlando providers, as we can get one smaller and easier to maneuver than the Disney ones. If she can drive the big clunkers at the grocery store, she can drive the ones in Disney no problem. She will still have to be alert while driving around the parks- people do try to get in front of you, or are just completely oblivious and walk in front of you, but the difference this has made is incredible, and has given her freedom to move where and when she wants.
Not sure of the Covid protocol now, but in the past bus drivers always helped us load, and the smaller models an adult can manually move into place (we rent light weight portable models)
What a great idea! We aren't going until next year so this is an awesome idea. Thanks you.

This is exactly why I posted this question. I definitely want to rent her a scooter now. Thanks.

How much does she walk with the cane? When we go for a walk, my DH uses a rollator. To walk from car to church, he uses a cane. She could walk with the wheelchair at times and someone can push her at times. My DH is really afraid of trying to use a scooter in the parks and the buses.
She can't walk for long even with a cane she starts to hurt after a bit.

T

T.I.A!
Totally a scooter, hands down!!!!!!

Would definitely go with a scooter. Also would reserve it ahead from a different company rather than try to get it at the gate as they do run out. Disney has some that they work with. A wheelchair ties someone else down pushing it and if others go on a ride and leave the person behind, they are truly stuck. I've been there.

She can't walk for long even with a cane she starts to hurt after a bit.

My DH up to this point has used a wheelchair, but on any hills, he walks pushing the chair, If he just feels like walking, etc, so it would be maybe me pushing 60 % of time. Sounds like your mom couldn't handle that much walking.

But for either wheel chair or scooter, get it off site. Waiting in line at buses or the 17 mile walk just to get to the bus is the worst for my DH.

Happy planning.

A other option for getting experience is to go to a local medical supply store and rent one there and have it her use it for a few days around the neighborhood at least. Try to get the same model as you will rent in Florida.

If you go with Gold Mobility, that will likely be the Pride Victory 10, unless you want something more portable, then the Pride GoGo sport or if you need more heavy duty, Pride Maxima. BuenaVista Scooters has some others, Walker Mobility has their own and Scooterbug is the same as in almost every theme park and zoo across the country since they operate most of the ECV in park rentals. Other companies may have other options as well.

nI matter what, trying to push a wheelchair all day is very hard, even with people switching, so finding a way to get some experience in advance and getting her comfortable with a scooter would be a good idea.

My DH up to this point has used a wheelchair, but on any hills, he walks pushing the chair, If he just feels like walking, etc, so it would be maybe me pushing 60 % of time. Sounds like your mom couldn't handle that much walking.

But for either wheel chair or scooter, get it off site. Waiting in line at buses or the 17 mile walk just to get to the bus is the worst for my DH.

Happy planning.
Well, lets put it this way this is new to her, she is having a pretty hard time walking and she was hesitant to go. She didn't want to be a burden or hinderance. I said, "Mom, I picked my DVC resort with you in mind, so if you poop out you can go right back. You can take a break and if nothing else you are on vacation." She seemed to perk up at the thought.

My parents have never been to Disney World and have never taken a real vacation. We camped and went to Disneyland sometimes when we visited family, but it wasn't a stay in a hotel thing. It was one day. So I am so excited to be able to take them. Its been a dream of mine.I am giving them the master suite.

No more saying "oh, my mom would love this" and , "I can't wait until I can bring her here someday." She isn't going to get away with not coming. I told her "Mom, you can get us to the front of the line. lol!"

A other option for getting experience is to go to a local medical supply store and rent one there and have it her use it for a few days around the neighborhood at least. Try to get the same model as you will rent in Florida.

If you go with Gold Mobility, that will likely be the Pride Victory 10, unless you want something more portable, then the Pride GoGo sport or if you need more heavy duty, Pride Maxima. BuenaVista Scooters has some others, Walker Mobility has their own and Scooterbug is the same as in almost every theme park and zoo across the country since they operate most of the ECV in park rentals. Other companies may have other options as well.

nI matter what, trying to push a wheelchair all day is very hard, even with people switching, so finding a way to get some experience in advance and getting her comfortable with a scooter would be a good idea.
She is coming up to stay with me for my birthday. Maybe, I will look into renting one for her to toodle around in and go shopping.

who in your group will be pushing? would not plan on her being able to self propel. if she goes to any stores at home that have ones to use in store have her try out and get some skills. ps I find it harder to get out of chair than off scooter. make sure she does not try to get out without putting up footrest. and she is still going to worry about hitting people cause they are that close at times. plus people walking do not seem to see a wheelchair because it is that low but this is also true with scooters
After reading how exhausting it is to push her and the fact she doesn't have a lot of energy or strength, I am getting her a scooter. I am going to take her out and have her test drive the store scooter. I feel for anyone having to drive a scooter around selfish people who disregard them.

Any of you decorate your scooters? We go during Christmas and I have seen scooters with wreaths and all lit up and flashy. I was wondering if they brought those things with them or there was a place that sells them around Disney? If not that would be a good idea for someone.

... I told her "Mom, you can get us to the front of the line. lol!"

Well... no.

You *might* get "Pixie Dusted" and be occasionally waved through the FP+ line, but plan on any personal mobility device using the mainstream queues at WDW these days.

If your Mom requires a DAS, that's different - but she will have to be able to describe *why* she can't stay in the regular queue and if her issue is mobility-related, then Disney's "fix" is for her to use a personal mobility device...

*Not* trying to be a stinker - I promise! I just want to set a realistic expectation for you! Nothing is worse than getting to WDW and finding out that what you *thought* would happen is not at all how things will be... (I know, from personal experience).

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Yes! You can, and should! decorate her scooter if she wants to! It's lots of fun, and you don't have to go nuts - even just a favorite Disney T-shirt popped over the seat back, and a colorful beach towel on the seat will go a long way towards livening up a rental scooter. Some fun garland to decorate the basket, maybe even a string of battery powered lights as well - you can imagine *tons* of ways to make it fun!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

So, let's talk about using ECVs at WDW for newbies. I'm going to use "you" during this next section - but I'm referring to your Mom here; feel free to share this with her - and if she has any questions, let us know! 🙂

Mostly it's about the buses (and boats, and Monorail and Skyliners too, for that matter.)

But first things first - Repeat after me - Every night, I will plug in my ECV, and charge it completely overnight in my hotel room.

Do that, and you should not have to worry about your battery at all the next day. Fail to do that, and you will have a miserable day, constantly searching for outlets (many are covered, or are inaccessible without tools) to try and charge your scooter. Every night, charge it all night, until it is fully charged.

There's plenty of room in every Disney Resort hotel room to charge *2* scooters - If you need furniture moved or removed to accommodate the ECV, pick up your room phone, and use the button labeled "Housekeeping". The person answering the phone will help set up either the removal or placement of furniture for you.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Sometimes people worry that other Guests are watching or "judging" them when they use the ramp to drive their device into/out of the bus. I've been using a personal mobility device for *years* at WDW now, and I know that people who appear to be staring at you when you are loading/unloading from the bus really are often just watching out of curiosity.

Think about it like this: The bus pulls up, and everyone gets off. BUT before anyone can get on, the driver closes the front doors, and the back doors, and then walks to the back of the bus. The back doors open again - but only *after* the bus has "kneeled" (with a great huge wheezy gasp) and then barfed out a ramp with all kinds of beeping as well!

It's a wonder that Disney hasn't decided to sell tickets for the spectacular that is the bus deploying/retracting the ramp!

So, often the folks who may (to us) appear to be "judging" or staring, are actually WDW newbies who are startled by all of the commotion. But it's the *bus* they are watching - not the scooter driver. 🙂

And some of them are just flat out exhausted, and staring off into space, unaware that they are looking at anything at all!

So, ignore them - and at the Resort Hotel, make sure you are parked in the white painted rectangle HA symbol ♿ at the bus stop (unless another guest beat you to it) so that the driver sees you, and knows you are waiting to ride. As the bus approaches, I usually try to wave and smile to let the driver know I will be riding their bus, or shake my head "no" so that they know I am waiting for a different bus. Some Disney Resorts have queues or rope lines set up for the buses; others just kind of form loose lines. Often in the mornings, there will be a CM at the main Resort bus stops; just as at the Parks, take your guidance from them.

Once the bus stops, and everyone is off, the driver will typically close the doors, kneel the bus, and then open the back doors and flip out the ramp. Wait for the driver to motion you on, and then up the ramp you will go.

When the driver says that it's time to board the bus, just let them know that you are a newbie, and will appreciate all the help and guidance that they can give you. Remember - they are an *expert* at getting folks on and off the bus, so just take a deep breath, and listen to their instructions, and everything will be fine! Disney bus drivers help *thousands* of people load and unload ECVs, so you are not a surprise to them in any way!

When you are at the base of the ramp, try to go right up the center. At the top of the ramp you will typically have to turn a bit to the right. GO SLOWLY, especially until you are used to the ECV. (This is a moment where "turtle speed" is your new best friend!) Even experienced users take this carefully - the last thing you want is to bump into the driver, or hit the side of the doorway going in. The drivers will give you instructions and will help as much as they can, but *technically* it is up to you (or a member of your party) to actually get the ECV up into (or back out of) the bus. You will hear stories about drivers that "park the ECV for you", but that is considered "pixie dust" and is not expected behavior.

Once you are parked, the bus driver will "tie down" the ECV, by clipping on the tensioned belts down at the wheel level, front and back. If you decide to sit on the ECV during transit, the driver will also offer you a seat belt to help hold you securely in place as the bus moves through traffic.

With buses, you will typically board first, and exit last. Ignore anyone who says anything about how "it must be nice to get on the bus first"; if you really feel the need to reply, just give them your biggest smile, and a big 'ol southern "Oh, bless your heart!". That's all they deserve. 😉

If you are just too worried about driving on and off the bus, someone who is with you can do that for you. Again, they just have to follow the bus driver's instructions. You can walk up or down the ramp after the driver tells you it is safe to do so.

While you are boarding the bus, the rest of your group will wait outside the bus, next to the ramp. Once the ECV is parked on the bus, the driver will indicate to your party when they can walk up the ramp to join you, and should be able to sit near/next to you.

When it's time to disembark from the bus, the rest of your party can get off the bus with all of the other passengers, and they will wait for you outside the bus (or wherever you have agreed upon). Again, the driver will assist you in getting the ECV positioned to drive down the ramp, and out of the bus; listen to their instructions, and you should be fine. 🙂 When driving off the bus, the most important thing is to make sure that you don't turn your front wheels (or the "tiller" - the steering mechanism) until AFTER your rear wheels are completely on the ground, and you are completely clear of the ramp. You don't want to catch the edge of the ramp, and tip over!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

As far as boats go, *most* boats at WDW are quite accessible; the notable exceptions are some of the small launches that serve Poly/GF to MK and back, and a small launch that runs every other trip on the WL/MK route. At WL, the bigger boats historically don't use a ramp there, and you just have to hope that the water level (and number of people on the boat) work in your favor! (Makes it kind of exciting LOL!) We have had a CM instruct us to wait while more people board/disembark to lower the boat, and then when the doorway is at the optimum height to the dock, they wave us on. All other boats will have a portable ramp that a CM (Cast Member) will place for you, including the Sassagoula fleet that serves parts of Saratoga, and the Disney Springs Water Taxis (which are the same type of boat.) The Friendships that ply the waters between Hollywood Studios and the International Gateway at EPCOT use the exact same ramp as well. The ramps are *noisy* when driving on and off, but quite safe, I promise!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

The Monorails use the same portable ramp for loading/unloading as the boats use, and the worst part is some of the ramps going *up* to the stations may really tax the battery on the ECV. A CM will place the ramp into the Monorail for you - just follow their instructions. Most of the time, you will have to back off down the ramp at the next station. Remember to keep your wheels straight, have someone behind you giving you clear verbal cues, (CMs are used to doing this, and will be glad to help you) and take your time for safety.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

The Skyliners are VERY accessible, and the gondola cabins are a direct drive on, no ramp needed. CMs will "chock" the ECV wheels to prevent it from rolling across the cabin while in flight. The user simply rolls straight in and sits between the benches. Follow the signs and CM directions at each Skyliner station to go to the HA loading area - they fully stop the gondolas to load there, and you can take all the time you need for both loading and unloading. The exception is Riviera - they cannot stop the Skyliner there, and so loading/unloading is only done while moving (and so mobility devices are not loaded there)

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

In general: Whenever loading/unloading from Disney transportation of any kind, use the *slowest* possible speed - this may be indicated on the controls by a "turtle" - and listen to the CMs who are there for your safety. They are all experienced in helping Guests with their mobility devices.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Once you are in the Parks, don't worry if y'all park the ECV, and you come out of a ride, attraction or meal to find it "missing". This is probably the the most startling thing that will happen during your trip!

Cast Members routinely have to shift around scooters and strollers to keep walkways clear, and to fill in blank spots. Because there are so many similar ECVs (especially rental ECVs) it can be easy for it to become "lost" in a small sea of similar looking units. So, one of the things we recommend you do is tie a brightly colored length of ribbon, or even a brightly colored cotton bandana somewhere on the scooter. You can even pop a favorite Disney T-shirt over the back of the seat! That way, you ask the CM who is moving scooters and strollers around if they have seen the scooter with the bright green and pink striped ribbons on the basket - instead of "the black one" or "the one with a captain's chair".

In all the years I have been hanging around here, we have had *one* scooter that was literally taken by accident because it was identical to the scooter that person had rented. (for rentals, the keys are all the same so the rental company doesn't have to keep track of one particular set of keys - they can hand over any key for any scooter). It all got sorted in the end, and everything was OK. But seriously, at WDW, in the Parks, you don't have to worry.

Nowadays, most vendors will put a "license plate" with your last name in a plastic cover that is usually on the back of the ECV seat, or the front of the basket, but those all start to look the same after a long day, so... ribbons, bandanas and/or t-shirts!

And always always always take the key if you leave the scooter anywhere. Cast Members know how to disengage the brake to move it if need be.

It should go without saying that you never leave anything in the basket, or on the scooter that you want to keep, otherwise, it could "grow legs" and disappear...

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

So that you can have the best trip possible, here's a few more tipsl:

- Plan ahead if you are flying. Remember that long lines at TSA - and long concourses inside terminals - can be problematic. You may want to consider bringing along a folding rollator or a wheelchair that someone in your party could push, or arranging for an airport porter service if you will need it. Mobility devices will fly for free, and the airline will be happy to help you with it at the gate; just allow a bit more time.

- If flying in to Orlando, be sure to let Disney's Magical Express know if you will need to use the lift to get in and out of the bus that goes to and from the airport. (you must be seated on/in a wheelchair or ECV to use the lift)

- You can always practice your ECV driving and parking skills at Wal-Mart, Target, Lowe's, the grocery store, etc. and it can help. It's a great way to practice for the inevitable moment when someone *will* walk right out in front of you while you are driving at WDW! (Pandemic disclaimer: Please follow all local & store requirements regarding masks)

- Grab a towel from the hotel to cover the seat bottom - black vinyl or fabric can get very hot in the Florida sun! Some models have seat backs that fold down to help protect the seat bottom, but a simple bath towel works as well. Some folks cover their rental seats with a Disney shirt or beach towel for fun!

- If you are worried about rain, most vendors provide a clear plastic shower cap to cover the controls; you can throw a poncho over the seat (especially when you are not riding) to help keep it dry. I often ride with the front of the poncho OVER the tiller/controls, and the back of the poncho OVER my seat back to help keep everything as dry as possible! Looks weird, but who cares? You're at Disney World! Yay!

- WDW has a rule - for everyone's safety - that only you ride the ECV. You will undoubtedly see people holding children on their laps while driving their scooters, but it's very dangerous, and I hope you will agree that safety comes first. One ECV, one rider. One seat, one butt.

- Don't allow the scooter to become your group's personal pack mule. It's a medical mobility device, meant to carry a person, not everyone's bags, coats and "stuff". A lot of people see the basket on the front, and start loading it up! For the comfort and safety of the rider, try to make sure that they are not overburdened. This is especially true at bag check - ECVs still have to go through security lines, and the person on the ECV is responsible for everything on the ECV, or in it's basket/compartment/bag at security.

- Remember to stay sharp and focused while driving the ECV - people at WDW tend to be doing everything but paying attention to others when they are walking, and many of us here have had folks run right into us, or walk right in front of us as we are moving!

Bipeds don't realize that many scooters can't just stop on a dime; some of them "coast" a tiny bit before coming to a complete stop, even if the driver is hard on the brakes. To help keep everyone safe and whole, I try to make eye contact, smile politely, and offer an cheerful "Excuse me!" when needed. Little kiddos are also prone to running out in front of mobility devices because they are blissfully unaware of the laws of physics.

Personally, I have my family create a "bubble" around me to help with this issue. Some walk just ahead of me, and someone will typically (when possible) walk on my left side. I try to stay to the right side of walkways, "streets" and sidewalks and that means I still have to watch for people popping out on the right side, but hopefully helps cover the left.

- Ideally take some time to practice a bit with your rental (at the Resort is a great spot for this) prior to going in to the parks. Get used to how it handles, turns, stops and starts. Every ECV is a bit different (just like any other vehicle). I have 2 personal ECVs, identical models and they each have their own "personality" (and name. Because I'm weird like that LOL). Everyone is eager to get to the theme parks, but 15 minutes of practice (going through the shops, the Quick Service, dealing with different types of surfaces, doors, ramps and obstacles) will make you feel more confident, and more "in-tune" with your rental.

- A few miscellaneous driving tips: anytime at WDW (or anytime using an ECV for that matter) be aware of ramps, hills and slopes. Going up, you will want to lean forward slightly to help shift your center of gravity towards the front of the ECV. Take your time on steep slopes, hills or ramps, and if possible, approach them at a slight angle at the base.

Coming down, be very aware of your speed (turtle speed is recommended for best control), and make sure you can brake effectively. Two hands on the wheel!

When crossing the train tracks embedded in Main Street at MK, be sure to cross at an angle. Otherwise, you risk the wheel(s) getting caught, and you could find yourself dumped rather unceremoniously onto Main Street. Everyone wants to have an unforgettable trip - just for the right reasons!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Sorry this was so long, but I hope it helps answers any questions your Mom may have!

Let us know if you have any more questions about ECV use at WDW!

🙂

Well... no.

You *might* get "Pixie Dusted" and be occasionally waved through the FP+ line, but plan on any personal mobility device using the mainstream queues at WDW these days.

If your Mom requires a DAS, that's different - but she will have to be able to describe *why* she can't stay in the regular queue and if her issue is mobility-related, then Disney's "fix" is for her to use a personal mobility device...

*Not* trying to be a stinker - I promise! I just want to set a realistic expectation for you! Nothing is worse than getting to WDW and finding out that what you *thought* would happen is not at all how things will be... (I know, from personal experience).

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Yes! You can, and should! decorate her scooter if she wants to! It's lots of fun, and you don't have to go nuts - even just a favorite Disney T-shirt popped over the seat back, and a colorful beach towel on the seat will go a long way towards livening up a rental scooter. Some fun garland to decorate the basket, maybe even a string of battery powered lights as well - you can imagine *tons* of ways to make it fun!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

So, let's talk about using ECVs at WDW for newbies. I'm going to use "you" during this next section - but I'm referring to your Mom here; feel free to share this with her - and if she has any questions, let us know! 🙂

Mostly it's about the buses (and boats, and Monorail and Skyliners too, for that matter.)

But first things first - Repeat after me - Every night, I will plug in my ECV, and charge it completely overnight in my hotel room.

Do that, and you should not have to worry about your battery at all the next day. Fail to do that, and you will have a miserable day, constantly searching for outlets (many are covered, or are inaccessible without tools) to try and charge your scooter. Every night, charge it all night, until it is fully charged.

There's plenty of room in every Disney Resort hotel room to charge *2* scooters - If you need furniture moved or removed to accommodate the ECV, pick up your room phone, and use the button labeled "Housekeeping". The person answering the phone will help set up either the removal or placement of furniture for you.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Sometimes people worry that other Guests are watching or "judging" them when they use the ramp to drive their device into/out of the bus. I've been using a personal mobility device for *years* at WDW now, and I know that people who appear to be staring at you when you are loading/unloading from the bus really are often just watching out of curiosity.

Think about it like this: The bus pulls up, and everyone gets off. BUT before anyone can get on, the driver closes the front doors, and the back doors, and then walks to the back of the bus. The back doors open again - but only *after* the bus has "kneeled" (with a great huge wheezy gasp) and then barfed out a ramp with all kinds of beeping as well!

It's a wonder that Disney hasn't decided to sell tickets for the spectacular that is the bus deploying/retracting the ramp!

So, often the folks who may (to us) appear to be "judging" or staring, are actually WDW newbies who are startled by all of the commotion. But it's the *bus* they are watching - not the scooter driver. 🙂

And some of them are just flat out exhausted, and staring off into space, unaware that they are looking at anything at all!

So, ignore them - and at the Resort Hotel, make sure you are parked in the white painted rectangle HA symbol ♿ at the bus stop (unless another guest beat you to it) so that the driver sees you, and knows you are waiting to ride. As the bus approaches, I usually try to wave and smile to let the driver know I will be riding their bus, or shake my head "no" so that they know I am waiting for a different bus. Some Disney Resorts have queues or rope lines set up for the buses; others just kind of form loose lines. Often in the mornings, there will be a CM at the main Resort bus stops; just as at the Parks, take your guidance from them.

Once the bus stops, and everyone is off, the driver will typically close the doors, kneel the bus, and then open the back doors and flip out the ramp. Wait for the driver to motion you on, and then up the ramp you will go.

When the driver says that it's time to board the bus, just let them know that you are a newbie, and will appreciate all the help and guidance that they can give you. Remember - they are an *expert* at getting folks on and off the bus, so just take a deep breath, and listen to their instructions, and everything will be fine! Disney bus drivers help *thousands* of people load and unload ECVs, so you are not a surprise to them in any way!

When you are at the base of the ramp, try to go right up the center. At the top of the ramp you will typically have to turn a bit to the right. GO SLOWLY, especially until you are used to the ECV. (This is a moment where "turtle speed" is your new best friend!) Even experienced users take this carefully - the last thing you want is to bump into the driver, or hit the side of the doorway going in. The drivers will give you instructions and will help as much as they can, but *technically* it is up to you (or a member of your party) to actually get the ECV up into (or back out of) the bus. You will hear stories about drivers that "park the ECV for you", but that is considered "pixie dust" and is not expected behavior.

Once you are parked, the bus driver will "tie down" the ECV, by clipping on the tensioned belts down at the wheel level, front and back. If you decide to sit on the ECV during transit, the driver will also offer you a seat belt to help hold you securely in place as the bus moves through traffic.

With buses, you will typically board first, and exit last. Ignore anyone who says anything about how "it must be nice to get on the bus first"; if you really feel the need to reply, just give them your biggest smile, and a big 'ol southern "Oh, bless your heart!". That's all they deserve. 😉

If you are just too worried about driving on and off the bus, someone who is with you can do that for you. Again, they just have to follow the bus driver's instructions. You can walk up or down the ramp after the driver tells you it is safe to do so.

While you are boarding the bus, the rest of your group will wait outside the bus, next to the ramp. Once the ECV is parked on the bus, the driver will indicate to your party when they can walk up the ramp to join you, and should be able to sit near/next to you.

When it's time to disembark from the bus, the rest of your party can get off the bus with all of the other passengers, and they will wait for you outside the bus (or wherever you have agreed upon). Again, the driver will assist you in getting the ECV positioned to drive down the ramp, and out of the bus; listen to their instructions, and you should be fine. 🙂 When driving off the bus, the most important thing is to make sure that you don't turn your front wheels (or the "tiller" - the steering mechanism) until AFTER your rear wheels are completely on the ground, and you are completely clear of the ramp. You don't want to catch the edge of the ramp, and tip over!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

As far as boats go, *most* boats at WDW are quite accessible; the notable exceptions are some of the small launches that serve Poly/GF to MK and back, and a small launch that runs every other trip on the WL/MK route. At WL, the bigger boats historically don't use a ramp there, and you just have to hope that the water level (and number of people on the boat) work in your favor! (Makes it kind of exciting LOL!) We have had a CM instruct us to wait while more people board/disembark to lower the boat, and then when the doorway is at the optimum height to the dock, they wave us on. All other boats will have a portable ramp that a CM (Cast Member) will place for you, including the Sassagoula fleet that serves parts of Saratoga, and the Disney Springs Water Taxis (which are the same type of boat.) The Friendships that ply the waters between Hollywood Studios and the International Gateway at EPCOT use the exact same ramp as well. The ramps are *noisy* when driving on and off, but quite safe, I promise!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

The Monorails use the same portable ramp for loading/unloading as the boats use, and the worst part is some of the ramps going *up* to the stations may really tax the battery on the ECV. A CM will place the ramp into the Monorail for you - just follow their instructions. Most of the time, you will have to back off down the ramp at the next station. Remember to keep your wheels straight, have someone behind you giving you clear verbal cues, (CMs are used to doing this, and will be glad to help you) and take your time for safety.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

The Skyliners are VERY accessible, and the gondola cabins are a direct drive on, no ramp needed. CMs will "chock" the ECV wheels to prevent it from rolling across the cabin while in flight. The user simply rolls straight in and sits between the benches. Follow the signs and CM directions at each Skyliner station to go to the HA loading area - they fully stop the gondolas to load there, and you can take all the time you need for both loading and unloading. The exception is Riviera - they cannot stop the Skyliner there, and so loading/unloading is only done while moving (and so mobility devices are not loaded there)

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

In general: Whenever loading/unloading from Disney transportation of any kind, use the *slowest* possible speed - this may be indicated on the controls by a "turtle" - and listen to the CMs who are there for your safety. They are all experienced in helping Guests with their mobility devices.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Once you are in the Parks, don't worry if y'all park the ECV, and you come out of a ride, attraction or meal to find it "missing". This is probably the the most startling thing that will happen during your trip!

Cast Members routinely have to shift around scooters and strollers to keep walkways clear, and to fill in blank spots. Because there are so many similar ECVs (especially rental ECVs) it can be easy for it to become "lost" in a small sea of similar looking units. So, one of the things we recommend you do is tie a brightly colored length of ribbon, or even a brightly colored cotton bandana somewhere on the scooter. You can even pop a favorite Disney T-shirt over the back of the seat! That way, you ask the CM who is moving scooters and strollers around if they have seen the scooter with the bright green and pink striped ribbons on the basket - instead of "the black one" or "the one with a captain's chair".

In all the years I have been hanging around here, we have had *one* scooter that was literally taken by accident because it was identical to the scooter that person had rented. (for rentals, the keys are all the same so the rental company doesn't have to keep track of one particular set of keys - they can hand over any key for any scooter). It all got sorted in the end, and everything was OK. But seriously, at WDW, in the Parks, you don't have to worry.

Nowadays, most vendors will put a "license plate" with your last name in a plastic cover that is usually on the back of the ECV seat, or the front of the basket, but those all start to look the same after a long day, so... ribbons, bandanas and/or t-shirts!

And always always always take the key if you leave the scooter anywhere. Cast Members know how to disengage the brake to move it if need be.

It should go without saying that you never leave anything in the basket, or on the scooter that you want to keep, otherwise, it could "grow legs" and disappear...

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

- Plan ahead if you are flying. Remember that long lines at TSA - and long concourses inside terminals - can be problematic. You may want to consider bringing along a folding rollator or a wheelchair that someone in your party could push, or arranging for an airport porter service if you will need it. Mobility devices will fly for free, and the airline will be happy to help you with it at the gate; just allow a bit more time.

- If flying in to Orlando, be sure to let Disney's Magical Express know if you will need to use the lift to get in and out of the bus that goes to and from the airport. (you must be seated on/in a wheelchair or ECV to use the lift)

- You can always practice your ECV driving and parking skills at Wal-Mart, Target, Lowe's, the grocery store, etc. and it can help. It's a great way to practice for the inevitable moment when someone *will* walk right out in front of you while you are driving at WDW! (Pandemic disclaimer: Please follow all local & store requirements regarding masks)

- Grab a towel from the hotel to cover the seat bottom - black vinyl or fabric can get very hot in the Florida sun! Some models have seat backs that fold down to help protect the seat bottom, but a simple bath towel works as well. Some folks cover their rental seats with a Disney shirt or beach towel for fun!

- If you are worried about rain, most vendors provide a clear plastic shower cap to cover the controls; you can throw a poncho over the seat (especially when you are not riding) to help keep it dry. I often ride with the front of the poncho OVER the tiller/controls, and the back of the poncho OVER my seat back to help keep everything as dry as possible! Looks weird, but who cares? You're at Disney World! Yay!

- WDW has a rule - for everyone's safety - that only you ride the ECV. You will undoubtedly see people holding children on their laps while driving their scooters, but it's very dangerous, and I hope you will agree that safety comes first. One ECV, one rider. One seat, one butt.

- Don't allow the scooter to become your group's personal pack mule. It's a medical mobility device, meant to carry a person, not everyone's bags, coats and "stuff". A lot of people see the basket on the front, and start loading it up! For the comfort and safety of the rider, try to make sure that they are not overburdened. This is especially true at bag check - ECVs still have to go through security lines, and the person on the ECV is responsible for everything on the ECV, or in it's basket/compartment/bag at security.

- Remember to stay sharp and focused while driving the ECV - people at WDW tend to be doing everything but paying attention to others when they are walking, and many of us here have had folks run right into us, or walk right in front of us as we are moving!

Bipeds don't realize that many scooters can't just stop on a dime; some of them "coast" a tiny bit before coming to a complete stop, even if the driver is hard on the brakes. To help keep everyone safe and whole, I try to make eye contact, smile politely, and offer an cheerful "Excuse me!" when needed. Little kiddos are also prone to running out in front of mobility devices because they are blissfully unaware of the laws of physics.

Personally, I have my family create a "bubble" around me to help with this issue. Some walk just ahead of me, and someone will typically (when possible) walk on my left side. I try to stay to the right side of walkways, "streets" and sidewalks and that means I still have to watch for people popping out on the right side, but hopefully helps cover the left.

- Ideally take some time to practice a bit with your rental (at the Resort is a great spot for this) prior to going in to the parks. Get used to how it handles, turns, stops and starts. Every ECV is a bit different (just like any other vehicle). I have 2 personal ECVs, identical models and they each have their own "personality" (and name. Because I'm weird like that LOL). Everyone is eager to get to the theme parks, but 15 minutes of practice (going through the shops, the Quick Service, dealing with different types of surfaces, doors, ramps and obstacles) will make you feel more confident, and more "in-tune" with your rental.

- A few miscellaneous driving tips: anytime at WDW (or anytime using an ECV for that matter) be aware of ramps, hills and slopes. Going up, you will want to lean forward slightly to help shift your center of gravity towards the front of the ECV. Take your time on steep slopes, hills or ramps, and if possible, approach them at a slight angle at the base.

Coming down, be very aware of your speed (turtle speed is recommended for best control), and make sure you can brake effectively. Two hands on the wheel!

When crossing the train tracks embedded in Main Street at MK, be sure to cross at an angle. Otherwise, you risk the wheel(s) getting caught, and you could find yourself dumped rather unceremoniously onto Main Street. Everyone wants to have an unforgettable trip - just for the right reasons!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Sorry this was so long, but I hope it helps answers any questions your Mom may have!

🙂
I wish I could do a hundred likes. This is amazing. I'm not sure how many disney trips are left for us but I think DH is coming veeerrryyy close to getting a scooter. It was pulling teeth just to get him to use wheelchair and once he did, it was why didn't I do this last trip instead of sitting on benches half the trip.

I need to just throw a comment about wheelchairs. My DH started using a wheelchair a few years ago. So me, being the main pusher, I've done a bunch of miles pushing him around (LOL). His weight is about 225 -250. I have not done hills like the entrance at Epcot at the international gateway but have handled a good part of the parks. And of course, I didn't push him every moment.

For us, it worked out fine. I wasn't exhausted at the end of the day. It was easier to push him through the lines than have him bashing through the turns. He would not do that. He would say I'll wait here and you go on the ride.

I know you said you will get your mom and scooter but I just wanted to say for us it wasn't horrible with the wheelchair and for some reason the scooter doesn't work out, all is not lost.

Well... no.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

🙂
I million likes and thank you's for this post. I am going to look into both a rollator and and EVC to purchase my mom. Is there a certain brand of EVC you recommend that is best i.e. battery life etc?

I million likes and thank you's for this post. I am going to look into both a rollator and and EVC to purchase my mom. Is there a certain brand of EVC you recommend that is best i.e. battery life etc?

Rollators can be found starting at about $65, and those come down to personal preference, mostly in terms of color 😉

But ECVs are a whole different discussion. You can find them at price points ranging from $350 to $500, all the way up to $3000 and beyond.

Like much in life, you get what you pay for. My personal ECV is a TravelScoot (he is named "Angus", in honor of Princess Merida's faithful steed, who always brings her home safely from their adventures!) - which is the lightest-weight, folding scooter with a lithium-ion battery. Personally, I ride mine without the seat back, because I love the ability to get on and off of it like a tricycle! My personal power chair is a Fold & Go Magshock (in purple, so he is named "Figment" for everyone's favorite resident of EPCOT!) which is the lightest, most comfortable power chair I could find (and is made in the US). Both will easily do a full "Disney Day" if completely charged overnight the night before. In all honesty, my devices are at the higher end of the price scale - but I view it that they are restoring my mobility; they are my legs, and so to me, I want the most comfortable, lightest, easy to transport devices that I can get so that I can maintain my own personal mobility. Fold & Go even sells a "elevator" to help load the chair into the back/trunk of your vehicle that collapses down, and weighs about 30 pounds.

At the lower end of the price scale are used rental scooters from some of the Orlando vendors - these are rental units that have been replaced after 6 months to a year of daily rental use. Some of the companies "refurbish" them first, by replacing the batteries (and if needed, the tires) and other companies sell them "as is".

In between, you can find a range of scooters, some with 3 wheels, some with 4; some have baskets (front and/or rear), others have armrests as a prime feature! There are different types of "tillers" (steering/speed controllers) as well; the Travelscoot that I have is a very simple "twist throttle" like a motorcycle, but I use a $10 Crampbuster after-market device to make it infinitely more comfortable for all-day use.

So, I could pick one at random, and tell you it's the best one... but it's really a personal decision. And, depending on the age of the owner, insurance may help pay for some (or all) of the cost - but that is not guaranteed, and may require a physician's prescription and/or a fair amount of jumping-through-hoops.

Some general advice: Avoid anything being sold at your local State Fair/festivals/etc. 563762
Those devices (almost always accompanied by a high-pressure sales pitch and wildly unrealistic claims) tend to be poorly made, and don't last, and do not come apart easily to fit into a passenger vehicle... They can even be dangerous; for several years there were vendors here locally selling a very similar device that people (that I personally know about) were seriously injured while using when it literally fell apart while they were driving it normally.

Be wary of buying from Amazon, unless you are buying from the manufacturer directly; there are all kinds of rip-off/knock-off versions of power chairs and scooters (and Rollators, and other medical devices) being sold there.

If you can, make sure that the primary user gets a chance to at least try the device somewhere (by renting one, or visiting a local vendor, etc) before buying. What is easy and comfortable for me might be not be for someone else, and vice-versa.

I know this is not the information you were hoping for, but it really is a very personal decision. Here are some of the things that I personally considered when I started to look at buying a scooter for myself:

- How much does it weight?
- How easy (or difficult) is it to get in/out of my car? Do I have to break it into multiple parts? Will I need help with that? And how much does the heaviest part weigh?
- How long will the battery last on a full, regular charge?
- How long will the battery last in regular use? (so how many years before I have to replace it/)
- Where/how do I get replacement parts if needed?
- How difficult is it to work on if repairs are needed?
- What is it made of, and how durable will it be?
- What accessories are available?
- How much does it cost?

I put a much higher value on lighter weight and smaller size so that I could be more personally independent. I'm not "rich" by any standard, but because I was restoring my mobility, I really didn't care as much about the price as did things like durability, and quality. I cannot express enough how having my personal mobility restored made a difference in my life!

I hope this helps you start the conversation with your Mom - if she will be the person using it, then she should definitely help select it! And remind her that using *any* kind of personal mobility device or aid is nothing different than using glasses to see better, or a hearing aid to hear better - she is just using the tool she needs to move around better! I have had to use a personal mobility device since I was 50 years old (which was *way* younger than I thought I would be when I started to use one!) and because my devices are so lightweight and small, I have been able to maintain my personal freedom, and go where I want, when I want. (Well, until my emergency spine surgery at the end of December, but that's another story for another day...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter