Should we share MDE or each have our own?

devjam

Earning My Ears
We are a family of 4 w/ two teens. Should I set up MDE on everyone's phones w/ my login or should I set up separate logins for everyone? Can someone lay out the pros and cons to doing it each way? I want the teens to be able to help me with the same day fastpass modifications.

Also, how will the Memory Maker work if it's under my name? Can anyone in the party scan their magic band to add photos to the account or is it just my band?

We are a family of 4 w/ two teens. Should I set up MDE on everyone's phones w/ my login or should I set up separate logins for everyone? Can someone lay out the pros and cons to doing it each way? I want the teens to be able to help me with the same day fastpass modifications.

Also, how will the Memory Maker work if it's under my name? Can anyone in the party scan their magic band to add photos to the account or is it just my band?
I think it's best to have 1 account for each room (mainly for mobile ordering and preorder stuff.) That's how Disney will have it broken down and that's how it'll be easiest to use. So if you're all in 1 room just do 1 account.

My husband just uses my MDE account/login. I manage him and my son. It's the easiest way to do it. Your kids can always set up their own accounts if they start going without you.

In my opinion there's only 1 reason to have separate accounts. If you ever plan to travel separately. If you always plan to go together, or at least you always plan to go, even if it's with part of the family, or others, then there's no need to have individual accounts. They cause more headache's than they solve. If there are ever going to be a time when someone you mange will want to go without you, then you can open their own account.

I would have everyone with separate accounts since teens will start going to the parks on their own soon so they'll already be set up for that. I don't find it to be an extra hassle for people to have separate MDE accounts. When you are friends and family one person can make the plans for everyone, just select their names when picking fast passes. If the teens want to go off from the parents for a bit they can continue making their own fast pass plans on their phones.

I personally just keep everything on one account on one phone. If they my husband or older daughter wander off to do something else it's easy enough for me to text them when their/our next fp/reservation is. But I'm also kind of a control freak, and like to know that everything is going to plan at all times. :P

On our last trip, my older two daughters (20,18) had a separate MDE account. They were able to make their own fast passes and were still linked to my card on file. They were able to tour as the wished and we stayed with the younger two (12,8). Worked out absolutely awesome!!

We actually did it both ways this summer. The adult kids had their own accounts and rooms (linked thru friends and family) and the teens in my room just used my account but I set it up on their phones. It is easy to break off in groups for FP either way. We had the dining plan on each room so not sure how it works if you have that and set up separate accounts for the same room reservation. Seems like it would be easier to have everyone in the same room under the same account. We also did photopass that was under my account but all photos for the entire linked group were available to everyone. Although they could see them in their MDE accounts, they showed up with a watermark for those with separate accounts. I shared my login/pw so they could download clean copies to their own devices.

I would have everyone with separate accounts since teens will start going to the parks on their own soon so they'll already be set up for that. I don't find it to be an extra hassle for people to have separate MDE accounts. When you are friends and family one person can make the plans for everyone, just select their names when picking fast passes. If the teens want to go off from the parents for a bit they can continue making their own fast pass plans on their phones.
They can still do all of that with 1 account. From the experience I had of having more than 1 account (we had more than 1 room) it took SEVERAL calls to IT to get the friends/family stuff working currently and even then there was 1 day where for whatever reason room 2 pics didn't show or rm 1 account which had the memory make. so we were out those pics. I seriously would only do 1 account per room.

On our last trip, my older two daughters (20,18) had a separate MDE account. They were able to make their own fast passes and were still linked to my card on file. They were able to tour as the wished and we stayed with the younger two (12,8). Worked out absolutely awesome!!
Glad it worked out well for you, however anyone can tour as they wish under 1 account as well...you can tweak, change fastpasses etc for all or just some and anyone who has the login info can do it. I'm sure you already know this, but just wanted to clarify for OP...didn't want them to think that having separate accounts somehow makes it easier to tour separately...works the same either way. The only time it really matters is when there's more than 1 room involved.

Glad it worked out well for you, however anyone can tour as they wish under 1 account as well...you can tweak, change fastpasses etc for all or just some and anyone who has the login info can do it. I'm sure you already know this, but just wanted to clarify for OP...didn't want them to think that having separate accounts somehow makes it easier to tour separately...works the same either way. The only time it really matters is when there's more than 1 room involved
Yes, There is more than one way to do it. We chose to do it that way out of ignorance more than anything. Just did not want anything to get messed up by accident on the main account.

My adult daughter and her family are all on my account still even though we sometimes travel separately. It's never been a problem. And I can see their Memory Maker photos when they go on their own, which I love. We always have separate rooms, as well, and that's never been an issue.

They can still do all of that with 1 account. From the experience I had of having more than 1 account (we had more than 1 room) it took SEVERAL calls to IT to get the friends/family stuff working currently and even then there was 1 day where for whatever reason room 2 pics didn't show or rm 1 account which had the memory make. so we were out those pics. I seriously would only do 1 account per room.
I don't think those kind of problems are really common. I've always gone with people who have different accounts and never had a single issue.

For a family of 4 under the same reservation I would stick with one mde account and give everyone access using one password. IMHO there is no reason for them to have their own! We have always done it this way - more than one person can log on at a time and you can choose who to include in each FP+ party.

Also as a pp mentioned when my older dd set up her own account for a solo trip we had issues with both accounts.

I don't think those kind of problems are really common. I've always gone with people who have different accounts and never had a single issue.
You've read enough around here to know that MDE problems are very common
And a lot of those can be traced back to linked accounts
Linking accounts as a layer of complexity that makes issues more frequent

Me neither, my husband and I have always had separate accounts and obviously stay in the same room each trip, never any issue at all whatsoever. We have also taken multiple other people with us and each of them set up their own accounts that we linked, only ever experienced one issue with that but it was easy to fix before we ever arrived on site. I don't think it really matters either way to be honest, just whatever you are comfortable with.

Glad it works for you - )

I have had issues so... imho If there is no benefit to having separate MDE accounts why tempt fate? Its one thing to link up with other families or adults that already have MDE accounts its another to make 3 additional accounts for basically no gain.

OP has teens and they are all in the same room on the same reservation - there is nothing they can't do with one MDE account that they could do with 4 MDE accounts. The more DME accounts the more opportunity for trouble.

I am traveling with a group of 16 shortly and, let me tell you, haven't traveled yet, but so far the various accounts have been a NIGHTMARE for me to get straightened out. Last year I went with 2 rooms booked and used one account and no issues. But it was just me, DH, DS, and my parents in their own room. My DS and I were the only ones really using the app.

This trip, it is a cast of thousands. I already had my account, my DS did have an account from a previous trip on his own, and my other family members who booked on their own really did need their accounts, but we are having some ADRs together.

The problem came when we booked the rooms, the CM apparently input name info into the Disney system. When I logged in and added friends/family before some accounts were made, I got a kind of "dummy" profile. The problem has come up later when some of them created their own accounts. Then I had duplicate profiles and the "real" profile was now the one they set up on their own so none of the ADRs and reservations were showing for them. It's taken me quite some time to clean it all up and I am still having an issue with some of my daughter's plans.

I think multiple accounts work fine but you need to be careful linking stuff if there is more than one profile in the system.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter