Should we skip HS in early July due to Toy Story Mania??

Penmac

Mouseketeer
We will be in Orlando for a non-vacation related event June 30-July 4. From July 4-July 9th or 10th we will be moving to a condo (most likely offsite), and doing 3 base ticket days at the parks. At this point our large crew of 6 plus an under 3 can't budget for an onsite stay (a suite at AoA during this week is $400/night). We will not have access to EMH unless we book at Doubletree Suites in Disney Springs. Although the price is right, I am not sure I want to sacrifice the space and amenities a condo has for a hotel suite... The early FP window and EMH are tempting, though.

So, our plan was to do MK, Epcot, and HS. This is our 4th trip- we have gone every year since 2015 and have spent a good deal of time at MK- my kids love it there the most. During past three trips we have only done one 6 hour day at HS. It was a stormy day and we were all over it after being soaked through several times over (with ponchos). No nighttime show for this reason. We did not go there last year. Instead, we did AK for the first time. Now my kids are dying to go on Tower of Terror and Rock n' Roller-coaster this year. Only my oldest was tall enough for R&R in 2016, and although 3 of them rode ToT, the two younger were scared and came off in tears. They have become MUCH braver since then and are really looking forward to it. We were planning to make it a priority to get to this park this year since we won't be back at Disney for another 3 years. So sad, but DH says he is putting his budgetary foot down after this trip:worried:!

I am very tempted to cancel our plans to go to HS in light of the opening of Toy Story. My girls love all things Disney, but never really got into Toy Story and my son is only 2. His biggest obsession is Mickey Mouse so we can keep him happy anywhere in Disney. I know my kids would LOVE the new coaster because they love thrill rides, but without 60 day FP window and EMH I am convinced there is no way we will get a fastpass 30 days out and will not even see the new section. In addition, we will then have to deal with huge crowds at all other attractions. Should we just skip it altogether? I think my kids would be OK with 2 days at MK or maybe doing AK again and skipping HS until they are older. But I would love to take them to HS this time around since they really want to go there. They are easy to please-- this is my own struggle!

My gut tells me skip it, but then I remember how we were at Epcot on July 6th 2016, just two weeks after the Frozen attraction opened. I was able to get a 7pm FP 30 days out, we met Anna and Elsa after a 5 minute wait at rope drop (no EMH that day), and the park was not overly-crowded. Am I over-reacting? I know coasters and a whole themed-land will attract way more people than the Frozen ride would, but I don't want to panic and assume the worst. I guess we will just wait and see what happens the first few days and maybe will have to change our plans accordingly! Advice/opinions welcome!!!:drinking:

I would still go to HS. To do the Slinky Dog Dash, do it first thing of the day at rope drop, FP Toy Story Mania, TOT, and Rock n Roller Coaster and do Star Tours standby. Honestly, I don’t know that Toy Story Land will attract way more people than Frozen. Frozen was EXTREMELY hyped and Toy Story isn’t nearly all that hyped. It also might be better for crowd control- right now there’s only 4 rides in the park and Toy Story Land will make it 6 and will have room for many more people. Plan your FP, don’t go on EMH day, use RideMax if you can ($15 from RideMax.com), and you’ll have a great time.

I'm agreeing with your gut. If you were going anytime other than July 4 week, then I might do it, but that will be a VERY busy week. I also disagree with PP above. Toy Story Land has been well advertised and I think more people are excited about this than Pandora. HS is going to be extremely crowded for the second half of the year.

Now I will say one thing you have against your plan to wait is that the new Star Wars part of HS will be opening in 2019/2020, so if that's the time frame for your next visit, you're in the same boat, if not worse, then you are now. It might be worth it to brave the crowds now. One thing we also don't know is how they will tier the new rides and what it will do to the existing tiers. It may very well be you CAN get FP+ for the rides you want to do and skip Toy Story Land altogether.

Perhaps just wait and see what FP+ are available at your 30-day mark and make your decision based on that. If you haven't done Flight Of Passage over at AK, I highly recommend it. Your baby won't be able to ride, but all the others should be able to, and it's amazing!

I know it will be packed, but I wouldn't skip HS if your kids want to go there. I'd get there at rope drop and head to RnR and TofT, while everyone else heads to ToyStory land. If you happen to get a fp for one of the new rides great, otherwise I'd just try to walk through the area to check it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter