Show Me Your Inexpensive, Homemade MNSSHP Family/Group Constumes!

luvmyguyz

Mouseketeer
We are leaving for our favorite place on Thursday (8/24/17) and will be attending our first MNSSHP on our trip. And horror of all horrors, I still don't have costumes prepared!!

I've been looking for ideas online of simple costumes we can make and be comfortable wearing during what will probably be a warm evening. Our family consists of myself (39), hubby (40), two sons (12 and 9) and my mom (63.) Of course I will be the one making these, and probably with little assistance from the family! LOL

Please share any ideas you may have for group costumes I can put together in the next few days that will be cute but inexpensive and easy to make. Thanks in advance!!

No pics but our ideas are Mary Poppins and Bert and chimney sweeps or mouseketeers.

We already have the ear hats, so I would only have to get white shirts and iron on letters, black /blue skirts and pants.

Mary Poppins would be similar. Black skirt, white ruffley shirt, red bow tie and black hat. My son would just wear his easter shirt/bow tie with pair of shorts. Then just add some dark makeup on their faces for soot.

It's me, my husband, and two teenage boys. None of them wanted to do costumes at all. And we're going in August, so we have to factor heat in big time! Ended up ordering 4 Haunted Mansion T-shirts from Etsy--all black with a white iron on, but each a bit different. I also got a set of Haunted Mansion leggings and Haunted Mansion headband with ears for myself. That's about it for us. Wish we were doing more--but at least we'll be at the party!

Oh I love the Mary Poppins and Bert idea!

We're not really going in "costume," and we don't match at all. I've got a cute Chesire Cat tank that I'm going to wear over a hot pink tee, and I have Chesire Cat leggings, knee socks, and ears and a tail. My daughter is going to wear her Peter Pan cosplay dress with green leggings and a little green hat. My son will just wear his Sorceror's Apprentice Mickey hat and carry his Mickey color-changing wand, and probably a long red tee with some gold Christmas cord tied around the middle. He could wear a red bathrobe but I'm betting it'll be too hot. My daughter and I will also be wearing shorts over our leggings in case we get too hot and want to take them off. I can also always roll down or remove the knee socks if needed.

We're going Sept 1 so we are dressing for comfort. It's going to be HOT!

My boys are 11 and 13 and will be reluctant to wear costumes (our MNSSHP trip is a surprise). We are going as to the Mountains. I got black t-shirts for all of us from Zazzle - DS11 has a big water splash (and actually says "splash") to be Splash Mountain. DS13's has a solar system and says "space" on it (Space Mountain), and mine has a big thundercloud on it (BTMRR). We are going to pair with gray shorts.

We are Disney Bounding as Tangled - I'm Mother Gothel with my natural grey streaks in my hair and Micky is just malicious, mean and scary. ;)

I forgot to add - the dress is mine, I had already bought for work, the t-shirt we had made about $30 total (it's a great material) and the lantern with the LED lights about about $10 total - so costumes about $40!

0df852ce4d5601f81e18e4f4b1e9974e.jpg disney-villains-mother-gothel-rapunzel.jpg 2766672.jpg Resized_Screenshot_20170726-175419.jpeg Resized_20170724_183927.jpeg Resized_20170724_183938.jpeg

Last edited:

You guys are all so creative! I'm getting more and more excited about my first MNSSHP just to see all these amazing costumes!

I just wish you were all going my party night so I could see you all. Ok, no I don't, because if everyone came my night it would be way too crowded...but you know what I mean!

For your family what Monster's Inc? More Disney Bound than costume

Oldest DS- Sully blue shirt with purple spots (could do it yourself with fabric paint)
Youngest DS- Mike Green Shirt with Eyeball
You- Boo purple shirt/tunic pigtails, (there are cute custom Boo ears on etsy that would be worth it
Hubby- George (2319) orange and yellow striped shirt with a white sock pinned to the back
Grandma- Roz shirt with CDC (child detection agency) on it they are available for sale or you could make it with iron on letters

Our trip is super last minute this year and I added the Halloween party even more last minute so the nephews 5 and 2 will be Bizz and Woody, I just found little shirts for them to wear, I am going to be one of the aliens (if my ears get here in time) and my sister (if she will play alone) will be Jesse.

We did Monster's Inc 2 years ago. I was Roz, and wore khaki capris and a burgandy cardigan with glasses on a chain. DD was Boo with purple leggings and pink tunic top with pig tails. DH and DS were Sully and Mike with their faces on tShirts.

This year we are doing Alice, Queen of Hearts, and Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum.

I love the Mary Poppins idea, I may use that for next time.

A few years ago, we just bought Disney themed Halloween/fall shirts and did some fun accessories (like clip in spiders for the hair etc). We always go to the early Sept parties so it's usually hot and we don't want to mess with anything to cumbersome or that isn't very breath-able.

Y'all could go as the Lost Boys from Peter Pan! Everyone wear different animal ears and tails and just wear solid colored clothing. Maybe your youngest could be Peter Pan :)

No pictures and this probably won't work for your group, but two years ago my girls went as superstars, fancy dress, dripping with jewels, make up...the whole 9 yards. I was the paparazzi...lol. it worked for me because I didn't have to dress up much, black shirt with paparazzi in glow in the dark puff paint on the back and a big old fashioned camera I found at goodwill.

We dressed as original Mousketeers several years ago. I don't have a pic, but the original Mickey Mouse Club emblem was featured on our shirt backs. It was a super easy, comfortable costume

My family and I are going as a lost jungle cruise boat: they're always making comments of what happened to their last boat so I thought we could BE that last boat. My mother and brother will be in tattered safari-esq gear and I'm still searching for the perfect jungle cruise skipper hat. Everything is cotton or linen, so great for hot sticky days. Everything was also purchased secondhand, to keep it cheap. With similar clothes, but allowing them to be reused in the future, you could also just all be jungle cruise skippers, or people headed for an animal kingdom safari that got turned around on the way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter