• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shower/Tub Combos Need To Go

Do you prefer shower/tub combos or walk-in showers?

• Total voters

HairyChest

DIS Veteran
I’ve always thought that a big weak point of Disney’s hotel rooms are the bathrooms. They are usually small and not very good looking. The recent bathrooms they’ve made mostly in DVC rooms like at the Riviera are looking much better And I think it has a lot to do with shower/tub combos.
I really dislike shower/tub combos in my hotel room. I think it makes it look really cheap. Having a walk in shower feels more luxurious and elegant. Also, I can’t imagine sitting In a shower/tub in a hotel room, it just seems dirty (Even though it’s not). I recently saw the new Moana themed rooms at the Polynesian and noticed they are still keeping the shower/tub combo which is disappointing to me. Am I alone in feeling this way?
Do you prefer shower/tub combos or walk-in showers?

For those that need a tub to shower their kids, can you educate me?I don’t have kids and don’t know much about that.

When my daughter was little, the only time she took a shower was after being in a pool and that was mostly to warm up. Kids are very slippery when covered with soap and they tend to fall in the tub even when getting in and out, so showers are just not a great idea for little ones. Chances are if there was only a shower, they would come out covered with soap and shampoo in their hair.

We've taken baths while at Disney and in other hotels. I guess the people who think a shower is sufficient only prefer to take showers. I don't live in my hotel bathroom so I only care that it's clean.

For those that need a tub to shower their kids, can you educate me?I don’t have kids and don’t know much about that.
Little kids can't be relied upon to clean themselves effectively alone in a shower. So unless you're getting in that shower with them, then you need a tub to bathe them.

My kids are grown, so I have little need for a tub these days. But when they were little, we HAD to have a tub.

I don’t even have kids but sometimes all I want after a day in the parks is a bath. I take them religiously at home to relax and vacation is no different. I only wish I didn’t have to mortgage internal organs to get a room with a soaker tub...the regular ones are rough as someone 5’10” and mostly leg. I suspect they’re only there for parents to bathe kids in lol.

Think about kids like a small dog. When you need to bathe a small dog, you don't put them in a shower stall. First of all, it's not the most efficient way to wash them and second of all, it means you have to get in there with it.

Tubs are a mandatory part of my vacation. There‘s nothing more relaxing for me than lounging in a tub with a good book. I prefer the rooms with a separate shower and tub but if the shower/tub combo is my only option...then I’m going with that over just a shower.

Traveling as an adult couple, I would agree. But what about people with small children? Sometimes the tub is the best or only way to bath your child. Stand up showers don't work for everyone.

I agree. My kids are older now so the shower is great. But when they were little, baths were necessary. I'm okay with either, but the new showers are really nice. I think it's just that the old tub and shower combos are very old looking (like at Grand Floridian). If they were updated, had better lighting and decor, people might not hate it as much

I am pro-shower/tub combo at the resorts. Even as an adult who no longer travels with young children, that tub can come in handy. On one of our visits, someone stepped on my foot, hard, at the parks. When we got back to the room and I removed my shoe, my sock was literally soaked in blood and I had a deep cut on my foot. The tub was definitely nice to use to sit and soak my foot. You never know when you just might want/need that tub.

I mean... as an adult who is child free by choice, I prefer the walk in showers. I also have back/hip issues so sometimes stepping over the tub edge can be difficult.

That said, this is Disney. There are a LOT of kids at Disney. It's a destination for families with little kids. So it would be silly for Disney to get rid of the tubs and make it harder on a huge segment of their customers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter