Shutdown or Lockdown in your area?

Right? "Let's protect the *real* teachers and the rest of you that work with kids can fend for yourselves".

Our city has shut down all daycares for 3 weeks. Got an email that strongly suggests it will be for 5 weeks.
It’s completely unfair if your city is ****ting down schools and not daycares.

thank goodness I just went shopping ( and to Starbucks !) Hey - is Starbucks considered essential ?

I don't know if Starbucks is considered essential, I know they are condensing their locations. One of my best friends is conflicted because she is still expected to go to work but both of her parents have health conditions and she no longer wants to go, but they haven't stepped up to make it clear how to handle this situation, so she's still been going for now. We're trying to get her to use some of her sick time until they decide they don't need to be open anymore.

Will take out still be available in a full shut down? What about grocery stores? How will people get food?

I am in CA in the Bay Area, we were the first to be put under a shelter in place order and now the whole state is under this type of order. Take out and drive throughs are still available as are supermarkets and pharmacies, vets offices are open for those who need to take care of their animals. We can also go outside to exercise as long as we maintain social distancing.

I don't know if Starbucks is considered essential, I know they are condensing their locations. One of my best friends is conflicted because she is still expected to go to work but both of her parents have health conditions and she no longer wants to go, but they haven't stepped up to make it clear how to handle this situation, so she's still been going for now. We're trying to get her to use some of her sick time until they decide they don't need to be open anymore.

was basically kidding, tho it is essential for many of us !!

Thank you! I hear they are considering a full lockdown here in NJ so I just wondered how we were to get food during the proposed 2 week shutdown. Glad to know take out and food stores will still be available.

@skyblue17
It hasn't been this quiet since 9/11 for my memory banks. Fortunately, it's a different type of quiet. The man is going down to 59th/Columbus Circle to Whole Foods to get fresh OJ since the frozen version hasn't made him happy. I asked him why he was passing at least 3 of em to get there and he said he just needs to see people; I wished him well with the dream, LOL.
No pedicures is a little bit too wild and wooly for me; thank goodness I've a full compliment of Tweezerman tools; Revlon doesn't cut it literally or figuratively;).
Fellow New Yorker here. I'll be very interested in whether your man can get OJ at Whole Foods. My guy was at the Whole Foods in Yonkers yesterday and that were out of almost everything except produce.

Fellow New Yorker here. I'll be very interested in whether your man can get OJ at Whole Foods. My guy was at the Whole Foods in Yonkers yesterday and that were out of almost everything except produce.
He's on the subway back so I'll let you know in a little bit. I was disappointed in Stew Leonard's sale circular this week so will wait to return to the Yonkers store until there's more than chicken breasts on sale for 5.00/lb .Pfft-that's not a sale, LOL.

He's on the subway back so I'll let you know in a little bit. I was disappointed in Stew Leonard's sale circular this week so will wait to return to the Yonkers store until there's more than chicken breasts on sale for 5.00/lb .Pfft-that's not a sale, LOL.
Hubs told me that yesterday when he was there, there were no canned goods and no frozen fruits or vegetables at all. Also, the cleaning supplies were sold out. Eerie.

The subway! Your man is brave. I had to go downtown to the dentist last Wednesday and the bus I took to Metro North was scarier than the dentist appointment was.

Hubs told me that yesterday when he was there, there were no canned goods and no frozen fruits or vegetables at all. Also, the cleaning supplies were sold out. Eerie.

The subway! Your man is brave. I had to go downtown to the dentist last Wednesday and the bus I took to Metro North was scarier than the dentist appointment was.
He just walked in the door about 5 minutes ago. Nope, no fresh squeezed OJ so he bought "evolution cold pressed organic OJ" instead; hope it's worthy.
He said WF was full of angry people. Asked him what he meant so he said it was like Fairway's/Zabar's/Citarella's after 6:00 PM but they didn't have their work clothing on :rotfl2:

Outside the store entrance but conveniently located near the subway escalators was a guy telling everyone who didn't ask him that this was all bio terrorism concocted by the government; timely story line change up from the normal "end of days according to the Book of Revelations" speech.

He had an entire subway car to himself once he switched to the local but on the express people were handing out dagger eyes if you sat on the same bench. Covid-19 is giving a whole new meaning to NYCers' idea of personal space; how will we ever go back to the old ways, LOL.

I'm sticking close to home but he's always been a wanderer and guess he doesn't feel like changing yet. Plus if he stays home I'm sure I could find something for him to do.....

Here are the highlights of Mr. Cuomo’s executive order, which takes effect Sunday at 8 p.m.:
  • Healthy people under 70 should limit outdoor activity to getting groceries and medicine, but they may exercise, walk outside and participate in other noncontact physical activities if they stay six feet away from others.
  • Mass transit will keep running, but people should not use it unless it they absolutely must. Roads will remain open.
  • Nonessential gatherings of any size for any reason are banned.
  • There are stronger restrictions for people who are 70 and older, have compromised immune systems or have underlying illnesses. Those rules include wearing masks when in the company of others and not visiting households with multiple people.
  • Businesses considered nonessential must keep all of their workers at home.
  • Essential businesses that can stay open include: grocers and restaurants, health care providers, pharmacies, gas stations, convenience stores, banks, hardware stores, laundromats and cleaners, child-care providers, auto repair shops, utility companies, warehouses and distributors, delivery services, plumbers and other skilled contractors, animal-care providers, transportation providers, construction companies and many kinds of manufacturers.
  • Businesses that violate the order will be fined and forced to close. The state does not plan to fine people who violate the regulations, Mr. Cuomo said.
“These provisions will be enforced,” the governor said at a briefing in Albany. “These are not helpful hints.”

Another regulation issued by Mr. Cuomo on Friday requires all personal-care businesses like hair and nail salons and tattoo parlors to close on Saturday.

I am in CA in the Bay Area, we were the first to be put under a shelter in place order and now the whole state is under this type of order. Take out and drive throughs are still available as are supermarkets and pharmacies, vets offices are open for those who need to take care of their animals. We can also go outside to exercise as long as we maintain social distancing.

Same thing starting in Illinois tomorrow!

Nothing in Massachusetts and Rhode Island yet. Guess enough people haven’t died yet. After the fact, sadly, seems to be the only way things get done.

I applaud CA for having the guts to take that step.

Here are the highlights of Mr. Cuomo’s executive order, which takes effect Sunday at 8 p.m.:
  • Healthy people under 70 should limit outdoor activity to getting groceries and medicine, but they may exercise, walk outside and participate in other noncontact physical activities if they stay six feet away from others.
  • Mass transit will keep running, but people should not use it unless it they absolutely must. Roads will remain open.
  • Nonessential gatherings of any size for any reason are banned.
  • There are stronger restrictions for people who are 70 and older, have compromised immune systems or have underlying illnesses. Those rules include wearing masks when in the company of others and not visiting households with multiple people.
  • Businesses considered nonessential must keep all of their workers at home.
  • Essential businesses that can stay open include: grocers and restaurants, health care providers, pharmacies, gas stations, convenience stores, banks, hardware stores, laundromats and cleaners, child-care providers, auto repair shops, utility companies, warehouses and distributors, delivery services, plumbers and other skilled contractors, animal-care providers, transportation providers, construction companies and many kinds of manufacturers.
  • Businesses that violate the order will be fined and forced to close. The state does not plan to fine people who violate the regulations, Mr. Cuomo said.
“These provisions will be enforced,” the governor said at a briefing in Albany. “These are not helpful hints.”

Another regulation issued by Mr. Cuomo on Friday requires all personal-care businesses like hair and nail salons and tattoo parlors to close on Saturday.

Regarding the part I put in red above, how are these people getting masks? I haven't seen a mask available in our area of CA in quite a while.

Regarding the part I put in red above, how are these people getting masks? I haven't seen a mask available in our area of CA in quite a while.

Gas station I went to today (NYC) was selling masks ! Didn't even bother asking how much they were !

I bought masks back around the Lunar New Year when they weren't as scarce. The original stories about the masks made no sense to me although it became clearer when it was stated they were low in inventory for health workers.

No idea how others in need will get them. Perhaps the state government will pass them out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter