*SIGH* I so wish WDW resorts were a little cheaper!

We swore we would NEVER stay deluxe, just not worth the price, we love mods and might actually prefer the outdoor hallways, and the expansive grounds, etc. Deluxe look nice, don't get us wrong, but we LOVE CSR and POR ...

However, we priced out our May Trip, 2 weeks, and price for a King Bed at POR for 14 Nights, WITH a 30% discount $2640. The price to RENT DVC points at Animal Kingdom, standard view deluxe studio, 5th floor, overlooking the pool .... $2660. $20 more than the Mod with a 30% discount, yes please.

SO, we are rolling Deluxe this time :)

^^ This.

We had to trade our low season September trips for Mid Summer this year due to school. Aside from not getting a discount, with the higher rates, we are paying 30% more per night for our room than we have done in the years running up to this one. We always stay at the same resort so we are comparing apples with apples.

However, I decided to tag on a short stay at BLT when a friend mentioned she was looking to rent some out and it actually cost me the same for a BLT Lake View Studio as I paid for POFQ for the main part of our stay. I've already decided I'm renting points next year. Free dining is not the discount it used to be - at least not for just two of us.

Another place to look is Expedia when they have offers.

summermac said:
Don't get me wrong, I love the values. Having stayed at 3 - they are great fun. Well I won't say I loved POP this trip but I am chalking it up to being more due to the time of year we went and not being able to utilize the pool, etc. I'll take the blame on that one. I'd even give it another go round even though I liked Sports better.

But what I really want is to be able to afford to stay at a moderate or justify the cost at the very least. Or better yet, a deluxe. We walked from Boardwalk to Epcot and I fell in love with Beach Club as did my kids and husband. So much so that I came home and mocked up a price for a May trip just to see what it would cost. Yeah...so much for that dream.

Sad face!

I hear you! I know it's Disney, which in itself comes with a premium, but I'm paying about $175/night for my AOA LM room for our upcoming trip (×13 nights = $$$). At that price I would normally get at least 2 QUEEN beds at another hotel. In 2011 I paid $69/night to stay at ASMu. I wish I could stay at OKW, BC, Poly or BLT, but that just is a dream at this point. Maybe next trip I'll find an awesome deal. Sleep is VERY important to me, so I really care about bed comfort. DVC is my ultimate dream and I'm working on DH to let me/us purchase a resale.

Definitely look into renting points. Our stay for a week in December in a studio was cheaper than a moderate!

I agree that Disney Hotels can be pricey. We were only able to afford 2 nights at the Poly in September. The rest of the holiday was spent on international drive. We paid about $600 for just 2 nights at the Poly. And as much as it was a luxury and great location I couldnt justify paying that again. We only did it because we got married there and wanted to splash out. If breakfast was included I wouldnt complain. Next time it will be one of the cheaper ones we stay at like Pop or AoA

I agree that Disney Hotels can be pricey. We were only able to afford 2 nights at the Poly in September. The rest of the holiday was spent on international drive. We paid about $600 for just 2 nights at the Poly. And as much as it was a luxury and great location I couldnt justify paying that again. We only did it because we got married there and wanted to splash out. If breakfast was included I wouldnt complain. Next time it will be one of the cheaper ones we stay at like Pop or AoA

Budget aside, even if it wasn't such a stretch, you also have to assess what you want from your resort and how you use it while you stay there. We spend a little more time at our resort now than we did say 5 years ago when we were in the parks pretty much all the time we weren't showering or sleeping. For those who like to have a few meals at a nice TS restaurant in their resort, spend some pool days and time enjoying the balcony view (if applicable) I can see more justification in the extra spend if it fits the budget. At this stage, we are still very much park people and a resort on the monorail would probably just add up to spending more time at MK for us. It will be interesting to see how we end up spending our time during our short BLT stay.

I agree about renting points from a dvc member. Remember when you rent points you do not pay sales tax.

Oh what a timely thread for me to see!

I decided to sneak in a 3 night trip this fall and asked my mom if she would like to join DD and I (DH doesn't do Disney). I told her since it's just a short trip, I wanted to stay deluxe (we usually stay moderate). I had decided on the Poly, but when I heard about the construction I took it off the table. I'm not paying that kind of money to have to go over to the GF pool!

Anyway, when I told Mom the Poly was out, she said, oh, thank goodness, I felt horrible us spending that kind of money on a hotel room. Little does she know yet that plan B is BC, which is no better price-wise. Ugh, it does make me a little nauseous because I know how wonderful the moderates have been for us. In actuality, she would be paying 1/3 of the room cost, so that's not bad. I think it's the idea that bugs her.

I think of Disney money in totally different terms that "real" money. Would I pay $450 a night for a hotel room practically anywhere else? Probably not. They have me, hook, line and sinker. :bitelip:

Me too.... Praying that one day we can swing these prices. Just to crazy with four kiddos. Maybe one day the husband and I can get away.

But what I really want is to be able to ...justify the cost at...a deluxe.

It is incredible what the price point of WDW resorts has come to. When I read your post I did a quick random comparison of four of the country's leading hotels vs four WDW Deluxe Resorts for the night of March 22, 2014. These are non-discounted prices excluding taxes and fees. As you can see, the rack-rate price of WDW Deluxe Resorts is for the most part more expensive than the best hotels in the United States. Are they worth it? That is for you to decide!

Four Seasons Manhattan, NY - $595
The W Fort Lauderdale, Fl - $575
Ritz Carlton, Kapalua, HI - $629
The Hay-Adams, Washington, DC - $419

The Grand Floridian, WDW - $641
The Polynesian, WDW - $618
The Boardwalk Inn, WDW - $544
The Wilderness Lodge, WDW - $501

It is incredible what the price point of WDW resorts has come to. When I read your post I did a quick random comparison of four of the country's leading hotels vs four WDW Deluxe Resorts for the night of March 22, 2014. These are non-discounted prices excluding taxes and fees. As you can see, the rack-rate price of WDW Deluxe Resorts is for the most part more expensive than the best hotels in the United States. Are they worth it? That is for you to decide!

Wow, seeing it like that made me gasp :eek:

I don't know if someone already said this, but you can save a lot of money by renting points from a DVC member or going through a company like David's DVC. That makes a Deluxe a lot more affordable, (just under $300a night for a studio). Have you tried POR Riverside? It's not a deluxe, but it almost has the "feel" of one. The landscape is amazing, the food court is the best I have tried and the boat to DTD is a nice touch. We love it there.

Oh what a timely thread for me to see!

I decided to sneak in a 3 night trip this fall and asked my mom if she would like to join DD and I (DH doesn't do Disney). I told her since it's just a short trip, I wanted to stay deluxe (we usually stay moderate). I had decided on the Poly, but when I heard about the construction I took it off the table. I'm not paying that kind of money to have to go over to the GF pool!

Anyway, when I told Mom the Poly was out, she said, oh, thank goodness, I felt horrible us spending that kind of money on a hotel room. Little does she know yet that plan B is BC, which is no better price-wise. Ugh, it does make me a little nauseous because I know how wonderful the moderates have been for us. In actuality, she would be paying 1/3 of the room cost, so that's not bad. I think it's the idea that bugs her.

I think of Disney money in totally different terms that "real" money. Would I pay $450 a night for a hotel room practically anywhere else? Probably not. They have me, hook, line and sinker. :bitelip:
I think my husband feels the same way as your mom! We recently moved from Orlando to Indiana and not having the perks of being a Florida resident anymore is killing me! I can see him tense up a little bit when I say I want to plan a trip :-). We were annual passholders and boy was I spoiled being able to choose which deal I wanted to use (annual passholder or fla resident). Not having those perks anymore it seems like you have to be on your computer the second a deal comes out to get what you want because instead of competing with a few who have more flexibility with travel dates you are competing with the rest of the country! I laugh about it now but the only reason I got to stay at Boardwalk for our honeymoon this past October was because I started crying when that was literally the ONLY deluxe/moderate option (I had wanted to try and stay at Wilderness Lodge) available. DH felt bad for me and told me just to book it. That only happened though because it was for our honeymoon...haha never again!

In January 2012 (last week Jan. into first week February), we went and stayed at the POR (garden room). We had 3 adults & 3 kiddos (1 was only 1 1/2). We stayed 7 days & 6 nights. We had 5 day passes with park hopper option. And wonderfully enough, we had the free dining plan. Our total price was $2,870.46.

I thought we had a great deal. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of deal I can snag us for next January.pixiedust:

Wow, seeing it like that made me gasp :eek:

Maybe it will make it a little less shocking if you keep in mind that that is Peak Season at WDW. Only Christmas/NYE and Presidents Day have higher rates. Spring Break will be in full swing. Depending on when you go that room at the Wilderness Lodge can cost you as little as $325. Not a small amount, but much better than $501.

OP -- I completely understand what you are saying. Through 2000-2010 we stayed at all of the deluxes and frequently even stayed club level at the GF or the Poly. I can no longer really afford to do so even with room discounts (with a few exceptions). The costs of the rooms have gone up at a higher rate than our income has not to mention that all of my kids are now Disney adults which affects the costs of meals.

So for most trips we have switched to POR as our primary resort which I actually happen to love. If we get priced our of POR then we will be done as I do not enjoy the values at all.

I'm with the OP big time. I can handle the average cost for a value or a mod, but the deluxes are getting way too over the top for my budget, and it really does sadden me. I like lobbies, indoor entrances, balconies etc, but the fact that a week long stay at the Poly can average 3K just for the room is obscene.

We are heading down this year for a 10 night stay at the Wilderness Lodge for our 25th wedding anniversary, and with free dining, I think the room is around $300 per night. That's $60 more a night than we paid just a few years ago for the same time frame. I fear our deluxe hotel Disney trips are coming to an end after this year unless they go back to 40% off pricing again.

I know there are ways to lessen the cost, and obviously people are paying these prices or they wouldn't keep climbing, but man, for the price of an "upper deluxe" at Disney, I can stay in a suite as big as my house in most places, LOL.

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton, Kapalua, HI in November of 2010, and I can assure you that not one single Disney resort can even hold a candle to it, lol.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a Deluxe Disney girl all the way when we are at the World, but it *is* ridiculous that the prices are even in the same ballpark.

If you really like the Beach Club area, consider joining the Starwood rewards program. Once you do, you can get pretty good deals at the Swan and Dolphin Resort which is just a few steps away from the Beach Club area. Being able to walk to/from Epcot and Disney Studios is priceless.

AAA also provides a decent discount at all of the Disney resorts. I just booked my moderate standard for a little less than $149 a night with AAA discount.

If you are a Hilton Honors member, consider the Hilton @ Downtown Disney or Bonnet Creek. Also, there is a Best Western on Hotel Plaza Boulevard that gets decent reviews on TripAdvisor as well.

Best wishes on your decision.

DH and I have watched a curious change where he works. Co workers (castmembers with very nice discounts at hotels, free park passes, very nice discounts on food and gifts) are returning from WDW and agreeing it's no longer worth it. And it's all levels from the Grand Floridian guest to a moderate guest.

DH and most of his workplace friends travel a great deal. No, they travel fir work and do not pay the tab but the do SEE the tab.

They agree. Even at Castmember prices it's just no longer worth it vs. other travel options. How sad.

DH's heart finally gave up with the loss of Lights of Winter and we are now dedicated DL guests. The Grand Californian is our new home. Long flight from NYC but worth it for a Disney smile.

It's so sad to hear more guests are priced out of Disney resorts. We have sonny fond memories of the Beach Club, Boardwalk and the Wildie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter