• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Signature Restaurants?

The issue with LeCellier is that people were willing to accept its faults as a non-signature restaurant. You don't go into a non-signature restaurant expecting a signature dining experience, so expectations were appropriate. When LeCellier was upgraded to a signature restaurant, it is now being judged against other signature restaurants. Would you rather spend 2 table service credits looking out the windows of California Grille, having the sushi made by their award winning sushi chef, and being served by professional wait staff, or, for the same number of credits, eat in a dungeon-like room, with tables practically on top of each other, having food that can be obtained easily elsewhere, and being served by a group of college interns?

I like both.

We love the style of food, my son and DIL were particularly excited because there was a small mom and pop place in the small town outside of Chicago where he was stationed that served that type. We all love different food flavors and spices (I lived in the Middle East for a few years). I was the only one who could actually come close to finishing mine. My DIL was able to eat about half of hers because it was just so/so. My son took a couple of bites of his and pushed the plate away because it was just no good. We did have the bread service before hand, which we all enjoyed. The service really did make the whole experience horrible. It was later at night but the place was fairly busy, we actually watched one table turn over twice while we were there. We had to wait, sometimes a good 20 min. between each course, even to actually get a menu and to get our bill then to pay it and wait for our receipt. The meal took a good 2 1/2 hours. My son had to return his drink twice before he got something he could drink. By the time we were done, we were done and just wanted to get out of there. The night before we had done the Wayanama (sp?) safari and had such a good experience with the food and the service we maybe were expecting more. I grew up in the restaurant business so can tolerate a bit more as far as the kitchen getting things out slow or the service being swamped but the our family always had the mantra of you can make the customer wait for their food but you never make them wait for their menus, never let glasses get empty and never make them wait to pay. We can tolerate o.k. food but good service or great food and bad service but with o.k. to bad food and horrible service, it just was too much. And no, we didn't complain to the management because they were actually at one point sitting at the table next to us, it was that late when we finished and saw exactly what was going on so to complain wouldn't have mattered.
It's a shame when a decent restaurant has bad service (and food, drinks, et.al.). We've been five times (only once for dinner, though) and never had a bad meal there. Still, it definitely can happen, and when an experience is achingly poor, that takes away any incentive to try it again. Your mantra is a good one. Get people seated, get them menus, and get them drinks. Slow meals can be overlooked if the service leading to it is solid. And, as you say, once done, get me the check within a reasonable time. I've returned to places that have had an off night in service, or food, or timing. However, I'm loathe to return to a restaurant where I get poor service, ill-prepared food, and I'm made to feel like an after thought. We've a couple of places at Disney we simply ignore because of these issues. I empathize with your notably bad experience.

Been to Artist Point 4 times. First 2 times were meh. Last 2 times were mind blowing good. New fave.

Been to Cali Grill twice. First time was mind blowing good and second time was a disappointment. I will give it another go though.

Been to Jiko twice and both times were really good.

Been to Tiffins once and recently. It too was really good. Loved the red wine flight and cheese plate and fish entre we got.

Been to Hollywood Brown Derby many years ago and was not impressed. We need to go back and try it again.

Been to Le Cellier many times. Was a must do prior to it becoming a signature. Recently went back for the 1st time since becoming signature and it was solid good but the wait was long, place crowded and loud and while good food, not mind blowing. Service is good though. But no rush to go again anytime soon.

Been to Boathouse once. I loved the food but service was meh. And it too was super busy crowded and loud. Might go sit out on the deck next time.

We've done the Hoop Dee Do many times and the Luau twice. DH loves them as he feels he's getting a lot for the $ but I am meh about them due to food not being great. Like the HDD over the Luau though.

Been to CRT breakfast once and what a rip off that was. Maybe will try the dinner someday when I have grandbabies.

Still want to try Flying Fish, Yachtsman and Narcoossee's. Had FF booked last trip but switched to AP that night. My travel party never seem interested in FF's menu. If I had to pick one new one to try it would be Narcoossee's.

We love the style of food, my son and DIL were particularly excited because there was a small mom and pop place in the small town outside of Chicago where he was stationed that served that type. We all love different food flavors and spices (I lived in the Middle East for a few years). I was the only one who could actually come close to finishing mine. My DIL was able to eat about half of hers because it was just so/so. My son took a couple of bites of his and pushed the plate away because it was just no good. We did have the bread service before hand, which we all enjoyed. The service really did make the whole experience horrible. It was later at night but the place was fairly busy, we actually watched one table turn over twice while we were there. We had to wait, sometimes a good 20 min. between each course, even to actually get a menu and to get our bill then to pay it and wait for our receipt. The meal took a good 2 1/2 hours. My son had to return his drink twice before he got something he could drink. By the time we were done, we were done and just wanted to get out of there. The night before we had done the Wayanama (sp?) safari and had such a good experience with the food and the service we maybe were expecting more. I grew up in the restaurant business so can tolerate a bit more as far as the kitchen getting things out slow or the service being swamped but the our family always had the mantra of you can make the customer wait for their food but you never make them wait for their menus, never let glasses get empty and never make them wait to pay. We can tolerate o.k. food but good service or great food and bad service but with o.k. to bad food and horrible service, it just was too much. And no, we didn't complain to the management because they were actually at one point sitting at the table next to us, it was that late when we finished and saw exactly what was going on so to complain wouldn't have mattered.

Wow. I don't blame you.

I just want to preface my remarks by saying that I was on the Deluxe Plan one trip for 5 nights and most of my signature experience comes from doing 2 credit dinners that trip.

The only meal I didn’t like was the Spirit of Aloha, which is 2 credits, but not signature. It was terrible in every way, and I don’t recommend it.

The others were dinners at: California Grill, Artist Point, Flying Fish and Yachtsman.

I enjoyed the overall experience at California Grill, but I didn’t care for the food. Right off the bat, I struggled to choose from the menu. Nothing on it appealed to me. I went with a squash blossom appetizer that was filled with a nasty looking green cheese with a slimy texture. :crazy2: My entree was salmon with pea risotto. The salmon had a thick, ugly skin, and the risotto had very little flavor. Dessert included a strawberry ice cream that was also lacking in flavor.

Artist Point and Flying Fish were both fantastic, but my favorite meal of all was at the Yachtsman. We were celebrating my parents-in-law’s 50th anniversary, and every aspect of the dinner was superb.

I’d eaten at LeCellier several times before it was a signature. They have some good recipes, but IMO, it’s not a signature experience there. The service, the dark and drab atmosphere, and packing people in like sardines do not add up to a signature experience IMO.

Last edited:
We've hit all the signatures, most several times. A few trends seem to stand out.
  • California Grill - Consistently great service. Food quality is usually great. We make sure CG is on our list every trip.
  • Yachtsman - has the best steak and the best charcuterie board. That said, they really disappointed me when they dropped the hangar steak a few years back.
  • Artist Point - the menu was better than the food. Meaning, they had great choices but didn't deliver more than just pretty good food. Also service was sub-par. Waitress corrected my (correct) pronunciation of "Bolognese", then when I asked if maybe she reversed the order when introducing my charcuterie and mixed up the rillette and the pate (she had) she told me I was making a common error because the pate was a rustic style. I don't mind being corrected, as long as I was actually wrong.
  • Boathouse is my new favorite for seafood. Service is always top notch.
  • Tiffin's - I wanted to love this place. Decor, and service are great. The food is ... good. The really fun items are mostly just dressed up skippers canteen entrees. Some things really are good here but, and I hesitate to say it, the portion size really is absurdly small. Not just by American casual dining standards. Portion size at Marea in nyc is larger.

We have eaten at all of the Signature (except V&A) at least once. My must go place is Jiko. Great food, great atmosphere and everything is just good. My regret the last time we ate at Le Cellier. From the moment it became a signature it started going downhill. I refer to Le Cellier as a legend in its own mind.[/QUOTE...Exactly the same two as ours...Jiko is our family number one favourite..It never fails to meet our gastronomic needs...Awesome food and awesome ambience..After all the hype, Le Cellier was just your average steakhouse, over priced for what we got, tables crammed too close to other diners, way too dark..Never again..

Artist Point - They can't really get it together here over the past few years. The service has become a bit cold and the menu has lost it's luster as well for us besides the mushroom soup and buffalo strip.

California Grill - We've never had a bad meal here and timing the reservation for the firework view from the balcony is a must-do.

Citrico's - Always excellent.

Flying Fish - Love the boardwalk, love the atmosphere and overall setting of the restaurant. Appetizers were AWESOME. I ordered the NY Strip Steak & Potato-wrapped Red Snapper - womp. :crazy2: Fish was ultra dry, my medium rare strip was medium well. Lamb was excellent, steaks were mediocre and lacked flavor.

Jiko - We were disappointed when they first changed, then removed the Lamb Two-Ways entree. However, Jiko is still one of our top 3.

Le Cellier - The steaks here have literally been on par with Yachtsman and at Jiko. What sets Le Cellier up to fail is that it's still a park restaurant which means park atmosphere. More children than other signatures, more park-clothes, louder atmosphere. I'm not sure why people are complaining about dark lighting and a lack of windows when the place is named 'the cellar'. Any of y'all been in a brightly lit, natural lighting wine cellar with plenty of windows :rolleyes2? They're also notorious for being behind on reservation times and having to wait beyond your booked time. So you're already annoyed you're waiting for your table well beyond your ADR, there's a lot of kids, it's loud, there's crocs and flipflops galore because it is inside a park, etc. So if you wanted a 'signature dining' experience, you've already been set up for failure. The actual meal itself is very good. Best on property? No. My steak at Le Cellier at times has been cooked properly and more flavorful a cut than at Yachtsman on more than one occasion.

Narcoossee's - Always a great meal and if timed with the firework parties at MK, you can take your drink out to the wrap-around deck and watch the fireworks from across the water and they play the music directly overhead.

It's not a 'signature', but Victoria and Alberts is worth every penny and has become a must-do whenever we visit.

Last edited:
Le Cellier - The steaks here have literally been on par with Yachtsman and at Jiko. What sets Le Cellier up to fail is that it's still a park restaurant which means park atmosphere. More children than other signatures, more park-clothes, louder atmosphere. I'm not sure why people are complaining about dark lighting and a lack of windows when the place is named 'the cellar'. Any of y'all been in a brightly lit, natural lighting wine cellar with plenty of windows :rolleyes2? They're also notorious for being behind on reservation times and having to wait beyond your booked time. So you're already annoyed you're waiting for your table well beyond your ADR, there's a lot of kids, it's loud, there's crocs and flipflops galore because it is inside a park, etc. So if you wanted a 'signature dining' experience, you've already been set up for failure. The actual meal itself is very good. Best on property? No. My steak as Le Cellier at times has been cooked properly and more flavorful a cut than at Yachtsman on more than one occasion.

I just want to note that this is a very thought filled critique. Thank you!

Artist Point. I usually get filet mignon, well done! Its hard to do and still taste good! They do it perfectly every time. Cant say the same for Cali Grill or Yachtsman. Everything at AP is DELICIOUS!

Full of regret....CRT. Sure its nice to eat in a castle and the princesses are great, but the food Yuuuuucccckkkk.

My dream...dont really have one. Back in the day it was Cali Grill, but by now, Ive had them all except V&A.

Narcoossee's (terrible food and service, do not like the ambiance or set up of this restaurant either, have only been once and have no desire to give them a second chance)

Thats the way I feel about Citricos. Went for Thanksgiving one year. So, OK, Im from New England, we have traditional large turkey dinners for Thanksgiving but...

We each for a "medallion" of turkey about the size of a 1/2 dollar, accompanied with what I can only imagine was a pastry bag squirt (the size of a flower on a cake) of potato, squash and something else that to this day I have no idea what it was...and 2 freshly cut green beans. The dessert was not even edible....frozen something. The waitstaff did their job. Nothing above or beyond. We left there and took the monorail straight to the Contemporary and my teen boys were still so hungry they got burgers at Contempo. The rest of us got ice creams.

We never went back. Cant complain too much because we got free dining that year WITH a room discount!

My family has had consistently good service and food at both California Grill and Yachtsman several times. Le Cellier was the biggest disappointment so far. The food was ok. We waited a very long time past ADR arrival time to be seated. I will say that Le Cellier handled my DD's food allergy very well, so that was a positive. I'm hoping to try Victoria and Albert's one day on that adults only trip that I keep dreaming about!

We did V&A Chef's Table in 2013 for our honeymoon and it was incredible. However comparitive to price I think Yachtsman was better since price was way less. Doing CG and Paddlefish in a month. V&A is also the hardest reservation to get of the signatures. Monsieur Paul and Tutto Italia were ok. CRT while upper priced an 2 dining plan credits to me is not a signature but worth it with kids and the food was good. The only signature not trying on our upcoming trip or haven't tried that am really wanting to is Jiko.

Best: Citricos. I enjoy the food as much as California Grill, but the atmosphere better.

Worst: Narcoossee. It’s been many years, but there was a weird vibe with the staff and the food was not remarkable. I wouldn’t rule out trying them again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter