Signs of inflation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not remember what the product was. you know that trick where they do not raise the price but reduce the quantity. This product, grocery, reduced from 1.5 oz to 1.25 oz. The sneaky part. it was a 40% increase.
Shrinkflation.

(Not even kidding, that’s the actual term.)

I use to see 25 or 50 cents increase here and there. Then maybe a dollar. I just saw my favorite
tea went up $5.00! Luckily we have seen minimal insurance increases. Frankly with many reporting
cancellations I was fine with that.

With inflation hitting everywhere I'm really curious how it will affect travel next year. We just got
back from an expensive summer vacation. Because of that I may cancel our Dec WDW trip.
We have a couple of different trips planned next year but now pondering postponement. I feel
like holding on to every spare dollar.

Prices are not just increasing they are soaring. Scary times.

Travel. Uses a lot of diesel fuel,
Airlines have had to pay 15 to 30 percent salary raises ….

Ticket prices more than doubled in the last 24 months.

I would be surprised if that continues for the foreseeable future

A couple of months ago I was watching the news because they were talking about inflation. I think it was CNN. It said inflation stabilized and that in some areas, like food, has actually gone down. Noting that eggs have especially gone down in price. What a joke. Yes, eggs are no longer $8, but the price of everything goes up. I used to be able to buy groceries for a week between $80-$100 (with good sales) and $150 when I really stocked up. Now, that keeps us about 3-4 days of groceries. Two years ago I switched to an insurance broker. Fed up with insane price increases. She managed to save us $1500 on home owners and actually got us more and better coverage. Had savings with car insurance too and not with same companies.

Two years ago I switched to an insurance broker. Fed up with insane price increases. She managed to save us $1500 on home owners and actually got us more and better coverage. Had savings with car insurance too and not with same companies.
Well, I guess I may be jinxing it, but my annual premium for homeowners if $1,500.

A couple of months ago I was watching the news because they were talking about inflation. I think it was CNN. It said inflation stabilized and that in some areas, like food, has actually gone down. Noting that eggs have especially gone down in price. What a joke. Yes, eggs are no longer $8, but the price of everything goes up. I used to be able to buy groceries for a week between $80-$100 (with good sales) and $150 when I really stocked up. Now, that keeps us about 3-4 days of groceries. Two years ago I switched to an insurance broker. Fed up with insane price increases. She managed to save us $1500 on home owners and actually got us more and better coverage. Had savings with car insurance too and not with same companies.
It's true, eggs are back down. I believe they were $1.14/dozen in Aldi's yesterday. Good for me, my family loves both eggs and baking. But, in the general scheme of things, that's one item. Also in yesterday's Aldi's, b/s chicken breasts were $2.29/lb (used to be $1.99), b/s thighs were $2.99/lb, and stew beef was, I believe $5.49--for stew beef! Yikes! The 80/20 ground beef was $3.99/lb--still pricey, but I'll make chili instead of stew.

I can't speak to insurance--we just got our annual car insurance bill, and it didn't seem too out of line. Interestingly, DH's 2015 Chevy Equinox costs more to insure than my 2018 Toyota Sienna XLE. That was more what caught my eye.

Interestingly, DH's 2015 Chevy Equinox costs more to insure than my 2018 Toyota Sienna XLE. That was more what caught my eye.
It's a common misconception that newer cars are always more expensive than older cars. In the insurance world that's not what they are looking at. Things like damage to the car, damage to other cars, safety features (for things like medical), cost of repairs, availability of parts, theft, accident ratings in general, etc all go into it.

I would have to explain quite often things like that, your VIN has a lot of information and I could look it up in HLDI (Highway Loss Data Institute) to get things. Camry and Corolla vehicles while are generally safe good cars are also ones where comp can be high due to theft rates, truck especially unibody ones can be expensive because of repairs, trucks also may have high collison because when they hit something they have the ability to cause a lot of damage. And so on. Not all model years are equal and some years may be even higher risk than others.

Here's the thing about inflation.

If you have sustained increases for 2+ years, it doesn't matter if the rate of inflation comes down if you never had salary increases that matched those previous years of inflation. All you've done is slowed the disaster, not ended it, b/c lower rates of inflation are still inflating those prices that rapidly inflated. Only deflation reverses those increases.

For example, if inflation was
2020 10%
2021 10%
2022 10%
2023 5%

Yes, the inflation rate cut in half, but here's the price you're paying for a $1 product from 2019 to now

2019 $1
2020 $1.10
2021 $1.21
2022 $1.33
2023 $1.40

In that 4 year period, while inflation may have been "cut in half" in 2023, you are still paying 40% more than in 2019. If you have not had wage increases to match (and few have), it becomes a tighter and tighter noose around the middle class buyer.

It's true, eggs are back down. I believe they were $1.14/dozen in Aldi's yesterday. Good for me, my family loves both eggs and baking. But, in the general scheme of things, that's one item. Also in yesterday's Aldi's, b/s chicken breasts were $2.29/lb (used to be $1.99), b/s thighs were $2.99/lb, and stew beef was, I believe $5.49--for stew beef! Yikes! The 80/20 ground beef was $3.99/lb--still pricey, but I'll make chili instead of stew.

I can't speak to insurance--we just got our annualcar insurance bill, and it didn't seem too out of line. Interestingly, DH's 2015 Chevy Equinox costs more to insure than my 2018 Toyota Sienna XLE. That was more what caught my eye.
Sorry but the fact you have to shop at ALDIs is proof inflation is really hurting people

I can't speak to insurance--we just got our annual car insurance bill, and it didn't seem too out of line. Interestingly, DH's 2015 Chevy Equinox costs more to insure than my 2018 Toyota Sienna XLE. That was more what caught my eye.
Kroger eggs are $1.79. I try to pick them up when I have a digital coupon for extra savings. I don't buy meat at Kroger. Publix Lean Ground Beef is $7.99/lb.

Sorry but the fact you have to shop at ALDIs is proof inflation is really hurting people
Not sure why you're applying a stereotype here but Aldi is actually a place where people shop irrespective of income. Even a survey from last May reflected this (although this information has been known for years)

At least according to the particular people who were surveyed those making $150K or more shopped more frequently than those who made $100K-$150K.

1695744179805.png

Just umbrella it under the savvy shopper category rather than framing it like "you have to shop". The same types of people who shop at Costco (known to have shoppers with income skewed higher) have been shopping at Aldi for years, same as those going to Walmart.

It's a common misconception that newer cars are always more expensive than older cars. In the insurance world that's not what they are looking at. Things like damage to the car, damage to other cars, safety features (for things like medical), cost of repairs, availability of parts, theft, accident ratings in general, etc all go into it.

I was really surprised a few years ago when we traded in our 2008 van worth about $1500 in on a brand new 2020 van worth almost $40000 that our insurance didn't change at all. I figured it must have been because the new one had some many more safety features.

Where is that ? You must have no weather, no crime, no earthquakes, or a tiny home
Sacramento California. City that is listed as second behind New Orleans for flood risk. No earthquakes? LOL. Lots of earthquakes. Tiny home? 2010 square feet, 4 bedrooms, 3 baths. Zillow says it's worth $550,000. I am concerned that I might get caught up in the rate hikes due to wildfire danger even though I am 50 miles from any forests.
Insurance is a HIGHLY regulate industry in California. State and several insurance companies that stopped issuing new homeowners policies in high fire risk areas just reached an agreement for those companies to resume writing policies in those areas with rate hikes. Seems that even with the catastrophic losses, insurance companies were still making money.

Sacramento California. City that is listed as second behind New Orleans for flood risk. No earthquakes? LOL. Lots of earthquakes. Tiny home? 2010 square feet, 4 bedrooms, 3 baths. Zillow says it's worth $550,000. I am concerned that I might get caught up in the rate hikes due to wildfire danger even though I am 50 miles from any forests.
Insurance is a HIGHLY regulate industry in California. State and several insurance companies that stopped issuing new homeowners policies in high fire risk areas just reached an agreement for those companies to resume writing policies in those areas with rate hikes. Seems that even with the catastrophic losses, insurance companies were still making money.
Ahh yes, one of the good things about taxachusetts is the issuance industry is also regulated here.

That makes more sense now.

I was really surprised a few years ago when we traded in our 2008 van worth about $1500 in on a brand new 2020 van worth almost $40000 that our insurance didn't change at all. I figured it must have been because the new one had some many more safety features.
We just went from a 2010 Mazda 3 to a 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe and the insurance was $50 more for 12 months. One of the changes between the last time we were shopping for the Santa Fe in 2021 to now is they added the side cameras to the trim model we wanted. When you engage the turn signal cameras on the side activate and show you what are in your blind spot. Couldn't tell you if that has an actual impact on the insurance premium but it was def. a nice added feature that we saw in the highest trim level and liked.

I've shopped at Aldi's for decades. Walmart, too. What can I say--I'm cheap. I do cherry-pick specials at Publix, but even coupons ($10 off a $50 purchase) couldn't get me to shop at Harris Teeter.

I've shopped at Aldi's for decades. Walmart, too. What can I say--I'm cheap. I do cherry-pick specials at Publix, but even coupons ($10 off a $50 purchase) couldn't get me to shop at Harris Teeter.
Not sure what Harris Teeter is,
Every time I have looked at or purchased Aldi's food, I have regretted it.

I have even had bad luck with canned food there. Not always but there was not going to be a third time. I just stopped going ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter