Signs of inflation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I haven’t read everyone’s replies but where are the Costco folks? While inflation has hit lots of people hard, I haven’t noticed it as much at Costco. The meat, seafood, produce, groceries there are great and very affordable.
We've noticed some things there. Of the things we buy chicken is probably the biggest increase. We just bought chicken breasts on Sunday for $7 off but that put the price at about $20 which was the old price prior to the pandemic. Their toilet paper has gone done in sheets and we just bought their paper towels which astonishing was not individually packaged making it very annoying taking up so much space in the pantry because otherwise the rolls would get dirty. Their water bottles were more than $4 for a while. Overall they are great and their clothing something we got back to often, husband just bought two more hybrid shorts (can be used as swimming trunks or normal shorts) getting those for $6 a piece. But as much as I love Costco they have not been immune.

As far as I now Market Basket might have a store in maine but yes, Ma and Nh,

There are Market Baskets in Texas, but that grocery chain is apparently not related to the one in New England.

Maybe I haven’t read everyone’s replies but where are the Costco folks? While inflation has hit lots of people hard, I haven’t noticed it as much at Costco. The meat, seafood, produce, groceries there are great and very affordable.

we used to get all our meat at costco but it got to a point several years ago where the other stores had as good/better quality at better prices (esp. if you caught a sale). we do rely on costco exclusivly for leg of lamb. i find costco pricey for some items as compared to other stores but they do carry some items i can't get elsewhere so we retain our membership and go once every 2-3 months.

Quite the contrary. Costco’s prices are falling faster than inflation. Beef, eggs, gas, the famous hot dog, have all dropped in price or in the case of the hot
Dog and pizza slice, haven’t risen in price.

Produce, meat, dairy and fuel prices fluxuate heavily with the markets. At Southern California Albertsons/Vons, in the spring 80/20 ground beef regularly went on sale for $1.99/lb., 90/10 sirloin for $3.99/lb and chicken breasts for 99c/lb. Ralph's (Kroger) never reached those lows (and now they're trying to buy Albertsons, which is the second largest pure grocer). Meat and poultry producers realized demand/ their prices were falling and have cut back on production, leading to prices rising once again.

You can still score some great deals -- since spring, Albertsons regularly has "inflation" sales where you can purchase canned or frozen steamed veggies, Haggen Daz ice cream cups, etc. for 50c each, peanut butter for $1, etc. But overall prices remain high. When those canned veggies aren't 50c, they're $1.50 -- they were 79c in 2019. When the peanut butter isn't $1, it's $3.99 (was $2.69). Then there's the bigger offenders... a 100ct pack of cheap paper plates went from $1.99 to a whopping $7.49. That flimsy paper towel that wouldn't be good enough for toilet paper went from 69c to $1.49.

Not sure about nationally, but fuel prices are on the rise here. My local Costco was $5.959 for regular this morning.

Produce, meat, dairy and fuel prices fluxuate heavily with the markets. At Southern California Albertsons/Vons, in the spring 80/20 ground beef regularly went on sale for $1.99/lb., 90/10 sirloin for $3.99/lb and chicken breasts for 99c/lb. Ralph's (Kroger) never reached those lows (and now they're trying to buy Albertsons, which is the second largest pure grocer). Meat and poultry producers realized demand/ their prices were falling and have cut back on production, leading to prices rising once again.

You can still score some great deals -- since spring, Albertsons regularly has "inflation" sales where you can purchase canned or frozen steamed veggies, Haggen Daz ice cream cups, etc. for 50c each, peanut butter for $1, etc. But overall prices remain high. When those canned veggies aren't 50c, they're $1.50 -- they were 79c in 2019. When the peanut butter isn't $1, it's $3.99 (was $2.69). Then there's the bigger offenders... a 100ct pack of cheap paper plates went from $1.99 to a whopping $7.49. That flimsy paper towel that wouldn't be good enough for toilet paper went from 69c to $1.49.

Not sure about nationally, but fuel prices are on the rise here. My local Costco was $5.959 for regular this morning.
Ahhhh you live in California. Now it all makes sense. I see what you’re saying now.

Walmart got caught injecting their steaks with some type of gas a few years back to keep it red long after it was not fit to eat…. however, the Walmart near me is pretty good about rotating stock….will get pork, chicken and brisket there….produce is usually pretty ok without having to pick the pile

I love Publix when I‘m in s Florida, hot food and sandwiches are amazing,
I’ll get provision for work out of a Publix without any fear, of servicing bad food

Publix is right around the corner from us--the kids walk there! I don't do my weekly shopping there, but I do cherry-pick specials. My kids love their fresh deli foods--DS26 will treat himself to a wrap or a sub now and them. For my younger two, I always send them there before dance performances, to get backstage food (cut-up fruit, wraps, whatever).

Unless there's a hurricane--then, since it's walking distance, I give the kids a few bills and tell them to treat themselves to whatever is still on the shelves. During Hurricane Florence, we were out of power for 4 days, so going shopping for junk food was a real treat.

Ahhhh you live in California. Now it all makes sense. I see what you’re saying now.

Same trends apply anywhere. We've actually seen some of the lowest inflation at the traditional grocery stores. Kinda hard to raise prices when you retailers were already gouging to begin with.

i find costco pricey for some items as compared to other stores but they do carry some items i can't get elsewhere so we retain our membership and go once every 2-3 months.
I had to read that a couple of times, you go once every 2-3 months, we go to Costco 2-3 per month. I realize it is all personal preference and maybe Costco has suckered me into going so often. Dunno?

However, at least in WA, I found their steaks to be of a higher quality than Fred Meyer and Safeway. The seasonal clothing for men is still a great deal on many items. From the spring golf shorts/polos to the flannels in fall.

Heck, the Knob Creek Bourbon for my Old Fashioned's is a much better deal than the grocery stores. So cheers to Costco!

Dog and pizza slice, haven’t risen in price.
That's a loss leader for Costco, they have publicly said they don't want to raise that price and when/if that happens we've got bigger issues lol. That's not an inflation thing, that's a company decision to maintain the price of several items knowing they are loss leaders. Their rotisserie chicken is also one they have said they don't want to raise although they've done a few things here and there to try to help maintain a lower price. Those examples aren't ones to use about Costco's pricing.

Aldi's model lends itself to not selling the highest quality, which is how they can lower their prices. They had a standing order for what other grocery stores passed on.
I have never been a fan of trading quality for price point, at least not with food and safety.

Not sure where you’re getting your info, but that’s absolutely not true. My husband just retired as manager of a major national food production plant. They make & pack items under their own brand & many private retailers, including Aldi & Walmart. Those retailers keep their prices low because they buy in high volume, so food producers give them a better negotiated price. But the quality is exactly the same as the national brand name product.

Last edited:
Not sure where you’re getting your info, but that’s absolutely not true. My husband just retired as manager of a major national food production plant. They make & pack items under their own brand & many private retailers, including Aldi & Walmart. Those retailers keep their prices low because they buy in high volume, so food producers give them a better negotiated price. But the quality is exactly the same as the national brand name product.
If you point is correct, can you explain how a regional chain, can supply a far better product at an equal or de minimum higher prices point?

and im talking about their produce and meat.

As a rule I prefer not to buy national brands to begin with

I love Costco and haven't found them to be hit quite has hard in the inflation department as others. I'm typically buying my produce there, and then household goods and staples like paper towels, toilet paper, oils, etc. The one thing I did see jump a lot was olive oil. I bought the Kirkland brand 2-pack of olive oil and it was $40! It lasts us so long that I can't remember what the exact price was I paid before, but I am certain it wasn't $40. I'm guessing closer to $31-33. I have seen some of their prices rise and fall on other items. I like the glass bottle Starbucks drinks instead of regular coffee. Those went from $16.99 for a 15 pack at the beginning of covid up to $21.99 and now are back down to $19.99. Still higher, but at least trended down some. I've always thought their meat prices were too high, other than the rotisserie chickens, so I don't buy that. Kroger is our main grocery store and I can still get ground beef for $2.99 on sale and got chicken thighs last week for .77/pound.

I agree that fast food has gotten outrageous. I used to be able to reload my Chick Fil A app with $15 and get me and my husband both meals, including his being a large size. Yesterday I spent $21 for the same two meals for lunch.

If you point is correct, can you explain how a regional chain, can supply a far better product at an equal or de minimum higher prices point?

and im talking about their produce and meat.

As a rule I prefer not to buy national brands to begin with

It is correct & yes there is an explanation. Produce & meats are different than manufactured products my husband made. They are sourced locally if possible. That regional chain might have long standing contracts with local farmers or suppliers. Leading to fresher & better quality products. Aldi has been in our area for a long time & has recently added more stores. I do find their produce cheaper, but not always as fresh as our bigger grocery chains. But the bigger chains have long standing contracts with local suppliers that Aldi doesn’t. It’s not that Aldi gets what others have passed on. It’s that others were there first & have fresher, higher quality produce already tied up with contracts, so Aldi has to transport produce from farther away. But it is regional, so in other areas, Aldi may very well have better contracts & be able to get fresher products.

Also depends on what you mean by regional. Wegmans is regional. They’re now in 8 states plus DC & have over 100 stores. They’re able to negotiate better prices & contracts than the local chain that has 3 small stores.

I think the cult following fervor died down as the membership prices increased and their warehouse item prices increased with inflation. They’re still a deal but not the crazy deal they were.

Walmart got caught injecting their steaks with some type of gas a few years back to keep it red long after it was not fit to eat…. however, the Walmart near me is pretty good about rotating stock….will get pork, chicken and brisket there….produce is usually pretty ok without having to pick the pile

I love Publix when I‘m in s Florida, hot food and sandwiches are amazing,
I’ll get provision for work out of a Publix without any fear, of servicing bad food

What is the allure of Market Basket? I've never been there but it's never attracted me.

My favorite!!! Where I am in Michigan, you used to be able to buy store branding crunchy tortilla chips (like the off brand of Tostitos or whatever) for one dollar a bag. Yep, $1.00. It wasn't a big bag. But it works. Now that bag is $1.25. That is a 25% price increase. 🤯
I don't know about the rest of you, but I personally did NOT get a 25% raise / cost of living increase this year. 😂

Omg! :faint: Is this a typo?
Here in NJ our Costco gas is $3.43. Brand name gas is closer to $4.
I thought our taxes were high... whew!
I’m NOT discussing the politics of any of this or saying anything is right or wrong. CA is kinda interesting though so here is some stuff non-Californias might not know that contribute to our always near the highest in the nation gas prices
  • CA has the highest gas tax in the US
  • CA mandates special blends with stricter requirements than the Feds
  • CA has different rules for summer and winter blends depending where you are in the state but the end result is CA maintains summer blends longer than the Federal mandates
  • Trucking regulations (commercial trucks with engines 2009 or older are banned)

For those of you who want to shop the sales easily, try https://flipp.com . It will show you local circulars like the ones that come in the paper. You can clip coupons on it to help you meal plan.

I’m NOT discussing the politics of any of this or saying anything is right or wrong. CA is kinda interesting though so here is some stuff non-Californias might not know that contribute to our always near the highest in the nation gas prices
  • CA has the highest gas tax in the US
  • CA mandates special blends with stricter requirements than the Feds
  • CA has different rules for summer and winter blends depending where you are in the state but the end result is CA maintains summer blends longer than the Federal mandates
  • Trucking regulations (commercial trucks with engines 2009 or older are banned)
WOW, I would've thought Hawaii would be the highest in the US. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter