Signs of inflation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish that was true because both Costcos in my area are shoulder to shoulder crowded every time I go there. Last time I went the line to check out went all the way back to the meat section.
Me too! Are you in NJ?

My family owns an organic dairy farm and we always cringe at any new regulation that California passes because we know that it will be heading east soon. We live in NY, home of the insane land and school taxes! I just paid mine this morning so I might be a bit bitter!!
A friends family owns apple orchards in Oregon. Organic apples go for 20 cents a pound more on the wholesale market. They only grow organic apples, but sell about half their crop without that label. They say that is not unusual in the organic industry, all a producers product are organic, they just can't sell them all as organic.

You thought NJ taxes were high, WA gas tax is right behind CA.

$5+, it sucks! and our roads still suck!
Our sales tax and gas tax isn't horrible, but our property taxes are insane. We pay $10k for a small rancher, 3BR/2Ba/2 car garage. No basement. Ugh... At least in our town, our mayor is trying hard to prevent a tax hike. It's been roughly the same for 3 years which is shocking. My coworkers who live in PA pay so much less.

Our sales tax and gas tax isn't horrible, but our property taxes are insane. We pay $10k for a small rancher, 3BR/2Ba/2 car garage. No basement. Ugh... At least in our town, our mayor is trying hard to prevent a tax hike. It's been roughly the same for 3 years which is shocking. My coworkers who live in PA pay so much less.

i have neighbors who complain about property taxes but i can't complain b/c despite the protections california's property tax law provides i pay lower property taxes on our washington state home that is property tax valued at triple the value of what my former california home was property taxed on in 2006.

i read what people pay for property taxes and home/auto insurance and i'm very thankful we settled here.

Lol here's one for you. I spilled half my breakfast on the way out the door for work yesterday. Decided to stop at McDonald's to grab a hashbrown to supplement what I had left. 1 hashbrown- $2.29!!! Didn't they used to be a dollar not that long ago?!?

Harris Teeter has the same parent company as Kroger, if that helps. A lot of grocery stores are regional. Here in North Carolina, we have Food Lion, which has the same parent company as Hannaford (originally based in Maine), which I shopped at when I lived in the Northeast.

I'm sorry you haven't had good luck with Aldi. I've found that, through the years, they've improved dramatically--I've shopped there for maybe 30 years now. At first, they had crappy produce, only frozen meats, and their canned soups, in particular, I remember being awful. I mostly got basics, like sugar and flour.

These days, they have fresh meats (although a limited selection), fresh produce (wide selection), wonderful cheese, may organic products, and so forth. It may vary by location--my local one seems to get a lot of traffic (it looked pretty picked over yesterday--bare shelves in spots, little in the freezers). That may help with the meat and produce. Also, it's a fairly new store. My husband is hoping for a re-stock soon--it's Oktoberfest time, he's half German, and they have some wonderful German specialties.
Aldi is my go to fave store for years. Their GF food and prices can't be beat, and the simplicity of the small store works for me.

Lol here's one for you. I spilled half my breakfast on the way out the door for work yesterday. Decided to stop at McDonald's to grab a hashbrown to supplement what I had left. 1 hashbrown- $2.29!!! Didn't they used to be a dollar not that long ago?!?

I literally just said that to DH last week! We used the app to get BOGO breakfast sandwiches, but then almost $5 for 2 hashbrowns!

The fast food industry has been hit hard by the labor shortages. Taco Bell closest to where I live closes at 6 pm, after being 24 hours for decades, because they can't find people to work for them. Here in California our Governor just signed a bill into law to make the minimum wage for Fast Food workers $20 an hour. That may sound like a lot of money for unskilled labor but McDonalds here is already paying $23 an hour training wage, jumping to $25 an hour after two months.
I get the idea of paying living wages, but some jobs are designed to be filled by High School students and Senior citizens looking for a little extra money and something to do and thus would not pay a living wage.
THIS is why you paid $2.29 for hash browns.

Aldi is my go to fave store for years. Their GF food and prices can't be beat, and the simplicity of the small store works for me.
It's been a bit since I've been in newer store layouts but even then it's still pretty easy to navigate around. Even though we primarily shop at Walmart (and now an Aldi was built right by it a few years ago) we do get irritated when the closest Walmart to us seems to constantly be moving things around. It's undergone several "newer" configurations over the years but some things end up not making any sense where they decided to put them. I feel like with Aldi it may be a hodge podge of some things there but they don't tend to place things in confusing manners IMO.

All I can say is my daughter is travelling through Europe now - London, Amsterdam, Paris, Luzerne, Venice, Florence and Rome. She said she will never complain about prices in the US. Inflation has hit Europe much harder than the US!
I took trips to Europe this Summer. I felt like the no-tipping at restaurants made it cheaper or the same to eat out.

The fast food industry has been hit hard by the labor shortages. Taco Bell closest to where I live closes at 6 pm, after being 24 hours for decades, because they can't find people to work for them. Here in California our Governor just signed a bill into law to make the minimum wage for Fast Food workers $20 an hour. That may sound like a lot of money for unskilled labor but McDonalds here is already paying $23 an hour training wage, jumping to $25 an hour after two months.
I get the idea of paying living wages, but some jobs are designed to be filled by High School students and Senior citizens looking for a little extra money and something to do and thus would not pay a living wage.
THIS is why you paid $2.29 for hash browns.
Eventually, people will stop eating at these places then there won't be any jobs. I'm pretty much there.

i'm at the point in the year where i have 4 insurance policies renewing-

umbrella
home owners
auto
atv.

got umbrell renewal today-decreased by 11 cents per year :banana: i thought it might increase due to a rash of lawsuits in our region wherein property owners had massive fire losses that were attributable to neighboring private property owners being neglegent.

1 down/3 to go.

Looks like gas station we go to is $3.51, ones on the same street are $3.56, I see as high as $3.70 in my immediate area. Costco is $3.41 although that takes a minute to get to.

running errands yesterday-within a 5 mile radius $1 per gallon difference in price. wa $4.99/idaho $3.99.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter