Silly question for frequent cruisers

Wishing on a star

DIS Veteran
I have a silly question for frequent cruisers.

Does it matter if the bed layout in the cabin is facing foward, like in cars, planes, etc.
Or if it faces backwards?

We are looking into a cruise, and one the deck plans, you can tell which way the cabins are layed out. Back to back, with every other one facing either forward or backwards.

For some reason, in my mind, I am making a big deal about wanting to cruise FORWARD!!!

I have a silly question for frequent cruisers.

Does it matter if the bed layout in the cabin is facing foward, like in cars, planes, etc.
Or if it faces backwards?

We are looking into a cruise, and one the deck plans, you can tell which way the cabins are layed out. Back to back, with every other one facing either forward or backwards.

For some reason, in my mind, I am making a big deal about wanting to cruise FORWARD!!!

Once you're on board you really won't realize which way is "forward". It won't matter.

We usually get balcony cabins. The only preference is for the bed to be next to the door to the balcony. If that is an option. Forward, backward, I can't tell the difference :)

We just got off a cruise this morning! I'm not really sure what you mean by the cabins facing forward. Do you mean you want the foot of the bed facing forward? We had two cabins, side-by-side, that were basically mirror images of each other. I shared a cabin with my son. My bed was along the wall by the window. His was on the side wall. DH and our other son had the same set-up.

Honestly you can't really tell which way you're cruising unless you look out the window. And no matter how your cabin is set up, you'll still be cruising forward. I think the location and type of cabin (i.e. inside, window, balcony, etc.) is far more important than which way the beds face. We always try to get a cabin around mid-ship. It feels the most stable if the seas are rough, and you're about equal distance from activities at the back or front of the ship. You'll also find that you wont spend a lot of time in your cabin. It's mostly for sleeping and changing. If you're in the mood to just hang out and read, there are plenty of comfortable places on the ship.

Other than Disney, where the bed was going "feet first" ....feet facing forward direction, every other cruise we have been on the bed was under the window and we were going sideways. I have never noticed a difference.

You'll also find that you wont spend a lot of time in your cabin. It's mostly for sleeping and changing.

This may be true for a lot of people, but it's not a given. DH and I spend a fair amount of time in our stateroom. We sit on the veranda and watch the ocean or what's going on in port. We enjoy each other's company and the quiet. We watch movies between late dinner and bedtime. Plus, this last time we both ended up with (thankfully short lasting) colds and definitely spent time in the room napping and resting. (And keeping our germs to ourselves as much as possible. :thumbsup2)

Once you're on board you really won't realize which way is "forward". It won't matter.

Same here once you get away from land I can never tell.

We usually get balcony cabins. The only preference is for the bed to be next to the door to the balcony. If that is an option. Forward, backward, I can't tell the difference :)

So funny. We are exact opposite, we like the bed toward the interior. We don't get that gap in the curtain which you can never close, streaming sun in our faces. Although just in case we bring large black clips, like you can hold papers together with. They do a pretty good job of closing it.

I think that for the vast majority of us it doesn't make the slightest difference. It can for a few people though.

DH gets motion sick if he cannot face forward on a train or plane or bus. He used to get very seasick and has gotten MUCH better (ginger pills started a few days pre cruise help him a lot and he had ear surgery for other reasons but that also helped). He finds hat he is less likely to feel motion sick on the cruise overall if he can eat and sleep facing forward.
I have met one other frequent cruiser who is the same (when we dined with that couple we put DH and that person on the forward facing side of the table--it was the need to do this that brought it up)--so it can happen that it matters, but I think it is pretty rare

I'll agree that it doesn't really matter. As long as I'm on the correct side of the bed (looking at it, I sleep on the right side), it's all good.

Makes no difference to me. I'd be so happy to be on a cruise, I'd be content hanging from the ceiling by my toes like a bat....

You see the key to this is an over abundance of adult beverages with those paper umbrellas. Several of those per day and you won't care which way the bed is facing!!!

Bon Voyage!!!

On our Fantasy cruise a few years ago I discovered that, for me, bed orientation can make a difference. We were in an oceanview stateroom on deck 5 forward whose queen bed foot faced forward. On one of the nights the seas were rather rough and I discovered entirely by accident that my motion sickness was much better if I laid on the bed sideways (head to the window). I slept like that that night and the normal way the other nights (they were fairly smooth sailing).

SW

We just booked a cruise a few months ago for later on this year and I changed my cabin once I saw the layout of the one we were in. I need to sleep on the right side of the bed as you are looking at it and I want the bathroom to also be on that side so I don't have to stumble around the bed trying to find the bathroom in the dark. My husband thinks I am nuts but he didn't birth three children and lose the ability to go all night without needing the bathroom....lol

Once I get on the ship, I don't know which direction I'm ever facing :sail:You'll be fine with whatever arrangement!

You'll also find that you wont spend a lot of time in your cabin. It's mostly for sleeping and changing. If you're in the mood to just hang out and read, there are plenty of comfortable places on the ship.

This is not true for everyone. We've been on several cruises, most with a balcony. One of my very favorite things to do on our cruises is to order room service breakfast and eat out on the balcony watching the water go by. Heavenly! And I do enjoy spending an hour or two every afternoon reading on my balcony and enjoying the peace and quiet. Yes, there are plenty of comfortable places on the ship, but try and find one where you can't hear any music (it's difficult for me to concentrate on reading if I hear music or a TV). It's pretty much impossible. And DH and I enjoy ending our day sitting together on the balcony, watching the stars, talking about our day, enjoying a drink, etc. So for me our stateroom is more than just for sleeping and changing.

As for the OP's question, it has never mattered to me which way the bed faces but we have always felt the slight motion of the ship from side-to-side while in bed except for the one cruise where we had an aft extended balcony. The bed was positioned in the opposite way so while sleeping we could feel the motion from head-to-feet. No big deal to us, but it might bother some.

We just booked a cruise a few months ago for later on this year and I changed my cabin once I saw the layout of the one we were in. I need to sleep on the right side of the bed as you are looking at it and I want the bathroom to also be on that side so I don't have to stumble around the bed trying to find the bathroom in the dark. My husband thinks I am nuts but he didn't birth three children and lose the ability to go all night without needing the bathroom....lol

Tell him to appreciate his ability to sleep through the night now because in a few years that will probably not be the case!
As for your nocturnal perambulations, I would recommend a small torch to guide you around the room. I have one of those very small keychain type ones that lives on the bedside cabinet either at home or at sea.

ford family

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter