Silly question, son still struggles with bedwetting?

Is it terrible that I felt so much better when I started reading all these comments? As a parent, I've felt like a failure that we've had trouble getting her to go all night without wetting herself. It makes me feel not as alone when I see others have struggled, as well.
:hug: Not a bad parent at all! You're doing great, mom, and she'll eventually overcome this. Have you tried the bedwetting alarm? I think I resisted that route but once we tried, DD was staying dry within less than 2 weeks of using it.

My son was a bed wetter till about 9 years old. He used Goodnites which go to 140 pounds. He would use them for sleepovers without any problem. That would be your best bet. He can deal with them himself and they keep the sheets dry.

We finally used the alarm and that worked in about a week.

There are these things called PEEjamas....a friend of mine uses them because her 6 year old struggles with bedwetting and she swears by them. Also I second the doggy pads as well.

There are larger nighttime products called "Goodnights" that might help. They now go up to a boys size 14-20, 95-140 lbs. I honestly didn't know they expanded the range so far, as we haven't needed them in 5 years when my child was barely squeezing into the largest size made at the time in first grade.

Vacations always made my oldest sleep much deeper and be more likely to have an accident.

I would explain that vacations are different from home and have different rules. On a cruise you can eat ice cream every day. On a cruise you share a bed and need to wear this type of underwear just in case.
Never heard of these before, THANK you! Shows how much time I spend down the 'diaper' aisle, now that the kids are grown haha-- I didn't know these were even a thing!

Will 100% discuss getting some of these with DS. It's been ages since he wore pull ups (just the standard blue huggies ones). But just from googling these, I'd bet he'd be a little bit less hesitant to wear them, given that they look more 'big kid' than the old pull-ups.

He's shy about wearing anything too 'diaper-y', especially because he's going to be sharing a bed with his brother. But, I think the whole family would probably appreciate him having them on at night.

Just have to figure out how to phrase it to him/swear to him that no one outside the family will know. (...as DISboard peeps, d'oh!).

There is a prescription medication called desmopressin that helps kiddos hold onto their water better until they grow out of it. You could have their pediatrician prescribe it and just have them take it every night while on vacation when it seems to be happening more often and when it is the most inconvenient.

We used Huggies GoodNites -- both the pull-ups and the bed mats. Even long after we didn't really need the pull-ups we traveled with the bed pads for several years. Exhaustion from vacation makes them sleep deeper and/or just being in a strange place seems it's harder to get up when they need to do. The pads go on the sheets and work great!

He tends to sleep like the dead, on a typical day. On vacation though? Forget it. We've had a (then) infant crying mere feet away from him in the middle of the night before, and he didn't stir even a little bit. Kid sleeps DEEP. Accidents at night when we're on vacation with him are so predictable it's sort of a family inside-joke at this point.

Question for everyone, are the 'Goodnights' fairly discreet/unnoticeable? He's going to be sharing a bed with his brother, and not sure if it would be completely silly to attempt to keep the fact that he's wearing pull-ups like that totally on the down-low, for the entire cruise.

Or would that be silly, and we should just go the full transparency route, with the other kids over it..? (they already know he wets the bed).

How old is brother? Can you have a discreet talk with him that his brother needs to wear special underwear at night and it is NOT a diaper and he is NOT to say a word to him about it. It may make brother feel better to know he won’t have to worry about his brother peeing in the night. I feel like with my kids, my own and my first graders, when they understand something may be embarrassing, they lay off of it. They’ll tease about small stuff, but not the big stuff, if that makes sense.

How old is brother? Can you have a discreet talk with him that his brother needs to wear special underwear at night and it is NOT a diaper and he is NOT to say a word to him about it. It may make brother feel better to know he won’t have to worry about his brother peeing in the night. I feel like with my kids, my own and my first graders, when they understand something may be embarrassing, they lay off of it. They’ll tease about small stuff, but not the big stuff, if that makes sense.
Oh youngest is 4.5! He's usually my more blurt-it-out kid, but does 100% understand that his brother is a bit sensitive about all this.

We had a talk a while back, on a camping trip about all this - but it would for sure to good to reiterate it all with him quietly before we leave. He has zero filter.

There is a prescription medication called desmopressin that helps kiddos hold onto their water better until they grow out of it. You could have their pediatrician prescribe it and just have them take it every night while on vacation when it seems to be happening more often and when it is the most inconvenient.
Desmopressin is the generic name and the brand name is DDAVP. If you are willing to spend the money for a doctor's appointment and a prescription it is a wonder/miracle drug for this type of situation. Also, the pills are chewable which makes things easier.

Goodnights that other people have suggested are also a fantastic idea if you don't want to deal with doctors and prescriptions.

IMG_5659.jpegThey have them on Amazon with 24,000 reviews and 5 stars. The boys ones are Marvel themed. Maybe you could get pajamas to match?? The side panels look very thin so wouldn’t show under clothes/PJs.

But just from googling these, I'd bet he'd be a little bit less hesitant to wear them, given that they look more 'big kid' than the old pull-ups.
There’s another brand — maybe Under Jams? — that also comes in a boxer style. We never tried that style so I can’t speak to how well they work.

he's going to be sharing a bed with his brother.
Are you in a concierge stateroom? In most non-concierge staterooms on DCL the beds are twin Pullman-style sofa, twin drop-down bunk, or maybe a twin Murphy bed.

There’s another brand — maybe Under Jams? — that also comes in a boxer style. We never tried that style so I can’t speak to how well they work.

Are you in a concierge stateroom? In most non-concierge staterooms on DCL the beds are twin Pullman-style sofa, twin drop-down bunk, or maybe a twin Murphy bed.
Interesting!! He mostly wears the boxer-brief kind of undies right now. So something like that might be worth looking into. I actually stopped and bought some of the Goodnites just last night - but realized that I might have gotten the wrong size, so will be trying to exchange them later. (whoops!). Haven't talked to little man about wearing them just yet (I'm dreading that).

We're in a Family Oceanview Stateview at the moment (with 1 window). Plan on sticking both of the kids in one bed - with our contigency plan (prior to finding out about the goodnites!) being to get one setup on the floor on a pallet/cot/sleeping bag or something of the sort.

They might be noticeable under 'snug fit' pjs but not the styles with looser legs.
Truthfully he's usually not much into wearing PJ's at home, unlike his brother. More often than not he goes to bed wearing one of my husbands' t-shirts, which ends up fitting him like some sort of quasi-robe.

BUT, I figured I could coax him into wearing pjs if 1.) They're disney themed and 2.) He gets that it's to hide a pull-up of some sort.

SO thinks I'm crazy and is of the opinion that trying to keep this from his brother is silly, and won't be possible in a cramped stateroom. But...I'm not sure.

DS is a sensitive soul, and has always been anxious about nighttime accidents, even when we try and reassure him over it.

Last edited:
View attachment 835900They have them on Amazon with 24,000 reviews and 5 stars. The boys ones are Marvel themed. Maybe you could get pajamas to match?? The side panels look very thin so wouldn’t show under clothes/PJs.

OK, he'd LOVE those. He's very much in a spiderman 'phase' at the moment. (he got a spiderman game for Christmas).

I actually bought some last night, (not spiderman themed) but got the wrong size. So will be making a return trip for them later today. Haven't talked with little man about them as of yet, but if they have spiderman/marvel on them..? That will 100% make things MUCH easier.

That style of room may have a pull down Murphy bed, a couch bed and a top bunk. The couch bed is a twin- it flips from the cushions- not a pull out. They will be reallllly tight if sharing. If you just have the two boys- they can each have a bed on the floor. If you have a third, one will have to go in the top bunk to give everyone a bed. But I’m not sure sharing that closely will work well unless they are tiny.

Now some of those rooms only sleep 4 and don’t have the Murphy bed.

This may have already been mentioned but pack a few doggy pee pads and just put under the sheet. As a mother who had a couple of kids I had some issues with this until I got on medication. the pee pad worked. I never needed them but mentally made me feel better.

We used this for sleepovers.

My youngest daughter is almost 8 and still has bed-wetting issues, I think her ADHD plays a large part in that.

I am conflicted on what to do as well. We do use large sposie pads in her underwear at night sometimes and will probably bring them on vacation. I notice that increased amounts of soda or extra fatigue from a change in her sleep schedule exacerbate the problem.

Is it terrible that I felt so much better when I started reading all these comments? As a parent, I've felt like a failure that we've had trouble getting her to go all night without wetting herself. It makes me feel not as alone when I see others have struggled, as well.
My 8 year old wears Goodnites every night. He also has suspected ADHD and some food allergies that made/make it worse (he has celiac and when he was eating gluten it was even worse). His pediatrician told me not to worry about it until his 10th birthday and at that point we can wake up at night or do medicine.

My son was a bed wetter till about 9 years old. He used Goodnites which go to 140 pounds. He would use them for sleepovers without any problem. That would be your best bet. He can deal with them himself and they keep the sheets dry.

We finally used the alarm and that worked in about a week.
What is this alarm? Is it just a normal alarm that goes off or a bed wetting alarm? My son is creeping up on 9 and he's starting to be embarrassed about wearing Goodnites.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter