• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Silver Lab

If you are expecting to show/register the dog, then no, don't buy silver until the AKC accepts it.

If you want a family pet, then why not? If it is a cross between a lab and another breed, then chances are it will be healthier than a purebred. While he lived to be 15, our purebred black lab had some issues common with his breed. He was one of the few in his litter that had good hips though!

Not necessarily. The best and healthiest examples of a breed are not used for crossbreeding.

Not necessarily. The best and healthiest examples of a breed are not used for crossbreeding.
Yup, hybrid vigor does not occur in mixed breeds bred on purpose, just random dogs. (This was well explained by a veterinarian who used to post here.)

I thought the pic in the OP looked like a Lab-Weimeraner cross. I bet if you look in Petfinder you could find such dogs if you wanted one.

I think they are really just a chocolate lab with color variation.

Not according to the geneticists with the Labrador Retriever Club, the official AKC breed club.

The weim is the only breed known to carry the dd dilute gene (the grey dilute.) The dd dilute gene has never been found in a lab.

This points to an almost 99.99% chance that any lab with the dd dilute gene is crossed somewhere with a weim.

Not according to the geneticists with the Labrador Retriever Club, the official AKC breed club.

The weim is the only breed known to carry the dd dilute gene (the grey dilute.) The dd dilute gene has never been found in a lab.

This points to an almost 99.99% chance that any lab with the dd dilute gene is crossed somewhere with a weim.

WHat I meant is that they aren't their own specific breed.

It's a possibility have people looking for labs for me to adopt.

It is perfectly ok to get a lab from a reputable breeder. Just reference the Labrador Retriever Club for references to reputable breeders. While rescue is great, there is nothing to feel guilty about purchasing a well bred dog from a great breeder.

However, anybody breeding mixed breed dogs such as the "silver" lab and trying to pass them off as chocolate dilute purebreds, is about the farthest thing from reputable that you can get. (we have labs, btw).

Read the article previously posted that a silver lab cannot be a purebred lab because labs do not carry the silver gene. The only breed that carries the dd gene is the Weimaraner.

If you want one of those beautiful grey ghosts, I highly recommend looking into the Weim.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter