Since Pop Costs Way More Than All Stars In 2018, Tell Me Why I Should Pay More

There are standard rooms available at Pop for the PSD deal? Congrats on snagging that one! Will have to check to see if my dates work now...
Yep! The Standard Pool View are gone but now there are Standard rooms available. At least for my dates there are. I was super happy!

The only reason I can think of is if you want to eat at the AoA food court. But as good as it tastes, if you're going to a park every day and just need breakfast the the AS are fine. If I'm staying value then I just pick the cheapest place, which is usually a toss-up between music and sports.

The only reason I can think of is if you want to eat at the AoA food court. But as good as it tastes, if you're going to a park every day and just need breakfast the the AS are fine. If I'm staying value then I just pick the cheapest place, which is usually a toss-up between music and sports.
We have two days that aren't park days (one is DAH) so we picked POP. I've heard good things about the AOA food court.

I've stayed at Pop and 2 All Stars and I don't think the Pop is worth any more than an All Star to be honest. I even like the food courts at the All Stars better than the one at the Pop. And no way would I hike over to AoA. So no, I wouldn't pay more for Pop.

For 2018, Pop rates have jumped a lot. The difference between All Stars and Pop is now enough to weigh the pros and cons of trying to save a couple hundred dollars for a week long stay.

How have you weighed the tradeoffs, and where would you stay in 2018?

I looked up the prices on mousesavers and was disheartened to see the price jump!

What dates are you looking at? I picked a random one. March 1st. There was a $7 difference.

What dates are you looking at? I picked a random one. March 1st. There was a $7 difference.
Post 14 has the 75 dollar difference in late April after my 33 percent discount and this was only for 6 nights......didn't include the second weekend night charge.

Post 14 has the 75 dollar difference in late April after my 33 percent discount and this was only for 6 nights......didn't include the second weekend night charge.

I'll work more numbers but look at 2017 rates. POP has always been more expensive then all stars. $75 difference over 6 nights is not Way More and I'm not sure is much different then 2017. But in a minute I'll get exact figures.

Okay so here are actual figures. I guess this makes sense to me because when I was shopping for my trip that is in 32 days, I was comparing ASMu and POP as my only options so was pretty aware that POP was about $15 more a night.

2017 rates

POP high $225 low $118
ASMu high $205 low $106

$12-20 more per night in 2017 whether looking at high or low season.

2018 rates

POP high $238 low $126
ASMu high $210 low $110

$16-38 more per night in 2018 whether looking at high or low season.

POP has been higher then ASMu for awhile. All rates have increased.

im considering pop, what is a dedicated bus?
That means POP has its own bus that isn't shared at any other resort. For example, we've stayed at POR and POFQ and they make stops at each other's resort. So if you are staying at POFQ you have to stop at the many bus stops at POR.

Okay so here are actual figures. I guess this makes sense to me because when I was shopping for my trip that is in 32 days, I was comparing ASMu and POP as my only options so was pretty aware that POP was about $15 more a night.

2017 rates

POP high $225 low $118
ASMu high $205 low $106

$12-20 more per night in 2017 whether looking at high or low season.

2018 rates

POP high $238 low $126
ASMu high $210 low $110

$16-38 more per night in 2018 whether looking at high or low season.

POP has been higher then ASMu for awhile. All rates have increased.
Yep...and now it stings even more in 2018. For people on a tight budget, the average of 100 to 200 more for a week might really push them out of their comfort zone after figuring up ticket costs and food.

Part of why I pointed this out was because I wanted people (newbies) to see that the prices for value resorts are far from equal. This may be old knowledge for experienced Disney fans, but for someone on a first time trip, this knowledge may be very helpful.

We're going to POP Feb 27-March 4 and are paying $177/night. I realize that is expensive, but all of the hotels are following the same pattern. Meaning the moderate hotels are also more expensive at that time. We could pay $148/night at ASSports instead, but I'm pretty excited about POP and unwilling to change.
I just pulled your dates and Pop Standard is now $132 a night average with a "Gift of Magic" Room Only rate. I would never pay extra for a special room type at Pop. Besides there are more Standard rooms that will be renovated by then increasing your chances of getting one.

I just pulled your dates and Pop Standard is now $132 a night average with a "Gift of Magic" Room Only rate. I would never pay extra for a special room type at Pop. Besides there are more Standard rooms that will be renovated by then increasing your chances of getting one.
I've already posted since then that I ended up getting a PSD offer with the Standard Room. It saved me about $330. Also, I have 3 adults and 1 child so the Gift of Magic Room Only offer is $147 for me, not $132. That might be what it is if you only have 2 adults.

The original $177 was for a Standard room.

I've already posted since then that I ended up getting a PSD offer with the Standard Room. It saved me about $330. Also, I have 3 adults and 1 child so the Gift of Magic Room Only offer is $147 for me, not $132. That might be what it is if you only have 2 adults.

The original $177 was for a Standard room.
Oops, I forgot about the extra fees since I travel solo. But I am glad you found a slightly better rate. I would keep an eye on it because things do fluctuate and availabilities can sometime open up under different promos too.

Oops, I forgot about the extra fees since I travel solo. But I am glad you found a slightly better rate. I would keep an eye on it because things do fluctuate and availabilities can sometime open up under different promos too.
Thanks I’ve been checking periodically just in case.

Stayed at both, and I prefer the All Stars. To me it comes down to the math, 1920 at Sports and Movies vs 2880 rooms at POP; and that comes into play when you're waiting for a bus at MK close or you're wanting to hit the food court at prime time. Also think the landscaping and foliage is nicer at the All Stars (especially at Music); but it has been a long time since I stayed at either and the plantings at POP have probably grown quite a bit. The Surf's up pool to me is nicer than any of Pop's pools, there's actually some seats with shade, also like the main pools at Movies and Music.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter