• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Since when is this acceptable?

In normal, "deluxe" hotels, housekeeping picks up towels or room service or whatever on the floor of the hallway. There's grosser stuff than this in the halls of very nice hotels. In rooms with no service at all like DVC, putting them in the hallways makes sense to me. If the towels sat there, that means housekeeping walked by them.

Agreed.
The first (and only) time I ever stayed at the Grand Californian (hotel side) there was a fork in the hallway for nearly a week. On our last day we thought it had been picked up...but it merely moved down a few doors.

I find putting room service trays in the hallway to be tacky even. If you are that worried about something in your room call housekeeping and have them come take care of it.
FWIW housekeeping often tells you to leave them in the hallway when you call to ask what to do with them, even at nice hotels.

I have a family member permanently in a wheelchair. From that photo, it would be a tight fit to the clearly marked exit. So yea, I care more about the ECV.
The ECV in the hallway is obviously not good, but also not a pervasive problem. That is the first one I’ve ever seen (although I’m sure it does happen, just not with great regularity).

People throwing trash and dirty linen on the floor outside their room IS a growing and pervasive problem. You see it literally everywhere recently.

Agreed.
The first (and only) time I ever stayed at the Grand Californian (hotel side) there was a fork in the hallway for nearly a week. On our last day we thought it had been picked up...but it merely moved down a few doors.
I don’t think using another Disney hotel as your benchmark or standard for other “deluxe” hotels is the best foundation for a solid argument.

At least now I know why so many people have zero regard for others, and just throw their trash and dirty linen on the floor.

Last edited:

Let's remove any doubt then. As human beings, we have a social contract to behave and carry ourselves in a manner that does not adversely affect those around us. That is immutable and the responsibility for living up to that social contract falls squarely on the individual.

While we should expect housekeeping to pick the junk up, and there's no excuse for any debris or laundry to sit overnight or pile up over several days, that doesn't give guests carte blanche to use the hallways as their personal trash can or laundry basket. What isn't dumped out there doesn't need to be picked up. Also, at which opportunity would you have cast members "correct" guests, and what else do these guests need to understand better? No urinating in the bushes? No getting drunk, pulling their trunks off and going down the water slide or jumping on the splash pads? I, and most people I know, don't need Disney to tell us how to behave, or carry ourselves in public, and we were certainly brought up well enough not to devolve into crude sloths just because we saw someone do something classless at Saratoga Springs. Mom and dad did a better job.

I'm not sure where you get a "policy of ignoring issues", and "blaming guests" the former a stretch, the latter completely ridiculous (or have you actually heard Disney blaming anyone for junk left in the halls?).

You want to blame Disney for failing to adequately respond to the issue, both by cleaning up after these people, as well as teaching them basic social values their parents should have taught them. All the while, abrogating the responsibility on the part of the guests to live up to those basic societal decency and norms.
You nailed it and said it far more eloquently than I did earlier in the thread.

Hopefully that pile is not there long. I can understand the housekeeping rules for DVC members staying on points, but just seeing that in the hallway would put me off a bit. The flagship resort should look magical at every corner. I would call housekeeping and see if they can grab them.

Whew. Hope nobody orders room service and puts the dirty cart outside, like every single other nasty, selfish, disgusting hotel.

Seems like that matters more than the ECV blocking half the hallway.

They both matter. But this thread was about towels and trash. Also housekeeping is wrong to leave messes in the halls for long periods, AND guests are wrong for being slobs in the public areas in the first place. Both can be true.

Room service trays are not the same as a pile of dirty towels or garbage, but you already know that.

If they are still doing the daily "security check", then there is ZERO excuse for them to be telling guests to put their dirty, wet towels in the hallways. They can put them in the bathroom and then the cast member who does the "security check" can grab them when they come in. There is no reason for dirty linens to be dumped in the hallways or common areas.

They do not remove towels for the security check. Removal of towels is part of trash and towel day or full cleaning day if eligible.

Security checks may not always be just housekeeping either.

Even if you call and ask for more towels they don’t take the old ones if it’s not trash and towel. No longer a charge for that.

Now, I don’t think it should be suggested to leave in hallway though. And if they do, then it should be suggested to do when during the time housekeeps work to clean rooms.

I always take a couple of pop-up mesh hampers - they fold down in the suitcase and weigh practically nothing. One for towels and one for dirty clothes. Then on trash/towel (or check out) day I put them all in the bathtub; like to keep my room organized and clean. I would NEVER leave dirty towels in the hallways - that's disgusting and disrespectful. And as for the ECV, every DVC I have stayed at, AKL, BW, Riviera, I see ECVs in the hallway.

We saw similiar behavior at Aulani in June. Dirty towels were not only left outside guests rooms (I saw one woman open the door and add to her pile), they were being left in random corners of public areas. One lady walking in front of us intentionally dropped trash on the floor and kept walking. (I picked it up and threw it away.) The beach was full of trash. We have made several trips to Aulani before and this was the worst guest behavior we have ever seen.

And we wonder why the price of everything is escalating .
Im pretty sure that daily resort fee does not include personal service to pick up after your every move. Because if it did , you wouldn’t be able to afford it.

Meh, this is common at much nicer hotels than this. As is putting the room service in the hall.

The difference is the Disney housekeeping, who I guess just rolled on by.
I totally agree. I don't see the big deal.

Maybe not towels so much, but in many nice hotels and ALL cruise ships I have been on - it is common for trash/room service trays to be left outside the door.

I understand the irritation with the towels lying there, but I agree that it's very possible that the room tenant just didn't know the difference between a hotel and DVC.

This back-and-forth reminds me of the old tipping threads...

I perused the thread but didn't see, did the OP happen to notify the hotel of the towels, not just this one in the picture but also of the other ones they saw?

I think there's room for both thoughts by the way of thinking it's not the best solution to just dump the towels out there unless notified to do so but also thinking if there's multiple days going by without it being picked up that is an issue for the hotel especially if they were notified. Even with DVC having a different schedule guests aren't all checking in on the same day and leaving the same day so housekeeping would logically be likely to be on that floor at least once a day (well hopefully) if for some other room.

By the way we saw a room service tray sit for days at The Encore (a 5 star hotel) last December, sometimes even nice hotels have their blights. Even if a room service tray would ordinarily be sat outside it would be picked up in a reasonable time not sit there for 4 days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter