Single digits, 9 days and anxiety hits

DG25

Mouseketeer
three years ago I had Breast Cancer, we changed plans and went to DL for six days, I was in treatment so had to get a scooter, which was hard since I also have a guide dog but we had a plan and it worked. We finally made WDW 11 mo this later but had to use a scooter since I had blood clots in my lungs from treatment. Next trip last year I made Disney 15 days with no scooter, but came home to plantis fasciitis, and it has been a long hall back.

We leave in 9 days, got my cortisone shot yesterday, my foot feels fine just tender. Problem, last year I walked and walked and walked to get ready. This year we have had 4 days since January that has not been raining and walking just is not an option. So my fit bit that last year read 12000 before I went to WDW reads more like 4 to 5000 steps a day. I try but with working with two toddlers it is not easy to get out and find a place to walk, closest mall is three bus rides away from city.

So now I am freaking out. I have the right shoes, I have a good foot to start with but can I actually keep up with walking a good pace when I have not done so well to prepare. I am so ready to move out of Seattle, after thirty years, I have to say the rain this year sucks and in the next 9 days we have one day that may not rain. I don't even know what the sun looks like anymore. And the Disney rash, around the ankles will hit me I know since I have had no sun in 6 months.

I hear you!

The good news is - don't panic, there is always a plan "B" at Disney. Had a similar experience in 2015. Just got out of the hospital the week before our trip with very unexpected heart, lung and circulation problems. Although I had no trouble walking on previous trips, by the second day I thought my trip was ruined because I had to stop at EVERY bench in the park to rest. Called up Buena Vista Scooters (I have no affiliation with them) one night, and there was a scooter at the hotel the next morning. We finished Disney without skipping a beat.

However your body reacts to your vacation - I hope you have a WONDERFUL time! Disney usually has a "fix" for everything that ails us! :yay:

Don't stress how fast you can go! Maybe you'll have to go a little slower, take breaks, whatever you need to do. Maybe you won't see as many attractions this time, but there is lots to see when you take it easy that people might miss as they are running from one place to another. Have a great trip!

Not to worry, if you find it at all tough, call one of the many scooter rentals in orlando-they will have it to you the next day, and much less expensive than the Disney ones.

I would take it a little slower, you have nine days and no matter ow hard you try , you still won't get to do all that there is at WDW!

Please don't stress. Disney is for fun!!! Take your time, sit on some benches, rest and people watch. I promise you that you will have fun no matter what your pace! If you decide that you just really cant walk, call up a scooter company and they will deliver one to you. Have a great trip!

I hope that you have a wonderful trip!! Maybe pack a gel ice pack that you can use at night on your foot. Also try stretching in the am and pm and hopefully that will help. Enjoy your time!!

I hear you!

The good news is - don't panic, there is always a plan "B" at Disney. Had a similar experience in 2015. Just got out of the hospital the week before our trip with very unexpected heart, lung and circulation problems. Although I had no trouble walking on previous trips, by the second day I thought my trip was ruined because I had to stop at EVERY bench in the park to rest. Called up Buena Vista Scooters (I have no affiliation with them) one night, and there was a scooter at the hotel the next morning. We finished Disney without skipping a beat.

However your body reacts to your vacation - I hope you have a WONDERFUL time! Disney usually has a "fix" for everything that ails us! :yay:
We had a similar experience. My Father In Law insisted that he would be fine to walk the whole trip, even though he was recovering from bone cancer. He made it about half a day. They called a scooter company (I believe the same one you listed) and it was waiting for them that evening.

During your trip, make sure you are doing your plantar fasciitis stretches every morning and try massage, icing compression and advil at night. Don't feel bad about switching to a scooter if you need one! Have a great trip!

We all want to be 5 years old and run around with endless energy at disney.. Last year I had to use a scooter for a couple days after a short hospital stay and it was the best thing I did that week. I was comfortable, not tired, it wasn't too bad to get around, I didn't feel bad for slowing others down.. I was actually the one that wanted to stay longer but everyone else was too tired to keep going.. Also some rides there is a perk of a different line with no wait but there isn't that many rides like that. I was carrying the few bags and things we had, we had great seats at the shows and parades without having to be very early.

You can get a scooter for a full week that you can use at the resorts and parks, (and getting into/out of the parks) for about the same cost as renting it from disney for 2 days. I would recommend you get a scooter from a third party rental just in case and don't be a hero, it's actually a positive to have a buggy in the group in my opinion. Even if you only use it to get to/from breakfast and coffee in the morning it'll make a huge difference in your enjoyment (as well as everyone else with you).

I'm not scared of a scooter, and will get one if need be, I'm scared of those around me, I get yelled at for this on another part of this board, but it is what we had to do a few years ago. My granddaughter stared the scooter, as I say I am blind on top of having the issues.what I am hoping is that everyone will be willing to use the scooter this time, my ex or new husband next week has a knee replacement and could use a break. And we will be there for 16 days so my dad could use a break also. If I use in the am when crowds are lower and they use in pm, and we all take a break at the lodge in afternoon, I should make it, but last year even with a break we were hitting 24000 steps a day for 15 days.

I'm not scared of a scooter, and will get one if need be, I'm scared of those around me, I get yelled at for this on another part of this board, but it is what we had to do a few years ago. My granddaughter stared the scooter, as I say I am blind on top of having the issues.what I am hoping is that everyone will be willing to use the scooter this time, my ex or new husband next week has a knee replacement and could use a break. And we will be there for 16 days so my dad could use a break also. If I use in the am when crowds are lower and they use in pm, and we all take a break at the lodge in afternoon, I should make it, but last year even with a break we were hitting 24000 steps a day for 15 days.

My father I wish would have used a scooter but we cut down the walking for him without skipping anything by making sure we didn't go in any circles. Really helped and while not every park is possible to avoid back tracking a little, care to try to make it so you only walk the place once will help reduce the number of steps per day..

Happy three years cancer free!

I'm seven years out from breast cancer myself and the trip 7 years ago to celebrate being done with treatment is what led to our now-annual wdw trips! Every time we visit I remind myself that I'm blessed to be healthy and blessed to be in WDW!
Get that scooter that everyone is recommending and don't let anyone else's opinions interfere with what you need. Your ticket to the parks costs the same as theirs. I hope you enjoy your trip and make it through with no more health issues!

Don't stress. Everything will be ok. Glad to hear you are cancer free.

I walk for exercise, but before our Feb/Mar 2016 trip, I hadn't been walking in many months because, of work, illness and the weather.

I made it through WDW fine. My wife, who doesn't walk for exercise, made it through with any problems.

Listen to your body. When it tells you to stop and take a break, stop and take a break.

I am so glad that you are cancer free and able to take this trip. If you end up needing the scooter, so be it. You will still have fun :)

Take it slow, and you'll be just fine! Look how far you've come! Its great you're getting back to it. If you need the scooter, ok, but don't let it ruin your fun!

I have no idea what the Disney rash is, but I'm never in the sun and have not gotten it, so hopefully, you'll be fine.

Have you tried inserts for your shoes? I have custom inserts in mine b/c of pain following a broken foot 8 years ago. It takes a few weeks to order customs, so you could try to get some Dr. Scholl's inserts at walmart or a drugstore.

I don't walk much except at work and I do fine. I don't have plantar fascitis, though, and that can be a game changer. I wouldn't overdo it with walking because you don't want another flare up. If you need the scooter, use it. And unless those giving you a hard time about having your granddaughter on the scooter with you can give you a viable option other than staying home, ignore them. You have as much right to be there as they do. After hearing your story, I will be much more tolerant of what seems to be breaking the rules with others. They, too, may have an underlying condition requiring assistance. I thank you for sharing this, you have opened my eyes.

I'm glad to hear your treatment was successful! Scooter or no scooter, have a magical trip. :D

I agree with the others. Get the scooter and who cares what anyone thinks. It is OK for it to be about YOU! As you have I am sure learned with your health issues, life is too short to worry about what other people think. If it can make your vacation easier, simpler and more comfortable, go for it. Remember you are at Disney and living your life and that is the best thing!! I hope you have a wonderful trip and continued good health!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter