""Single" mom with 2 kids - 7DMT question

JamieH

Mouseketeer
Although I'm not technically a single parent, I will be taking my 2 children, ages 9 and 6 to DW in January by myself. (My husband hates disney :rolleyes2). I
I plan to let them run this trip, so there won't be any thrill rides but I do want to experience the 7DMT...I'm assuming only 2 can fit to a row? There's no way either of my kids will sit alone and depending on how they are getting along at the time, they may not want to sit together. Are there any other options? Is it possible to out all 3 of us together? The only our ride I can think of that would cause this issue is Test Track, isn't that 2 per row as well?

Test track is 3 per row.

Mine train is two individual seats per row.

Are you positive that the 9yo won't ride in the row behind you? Worst case is that you show up and give it a try and exit if it turns out the 9yo really does refuse. Then sitting together is not an option since the 6yo is not 7 and must ride with someone 14 or older.

Barnstormer is the only other ride I can think of that will be a possible issue.

Yep, you can only do this one if the 9 year old will sit in front or behind you, or if you would luck out and meet a family of 3 or 5 in line and he or she would agree to ride with a stranger. On occasion a CM will ride with a family that has 2 under 7 and one adult but I would not expect that with a 9 year old. They used to not be really strict on the age 7 issue but the last trip we went on when DS was not 7, they seemed much stricter. Is your 9 year old shy or afraid to ride alone? TT is great for 3. I agree that barnstormer will be an issue. The buzz and TSM is also two seats but they are connected to two more and I have heard that they allow parents to sit just behind the kids on that one, though its never been an issue for us so never experienced it first hand.

test track is 3 people per row.

there is no way you can put 3 people in the same row in 7DMT cuz they are molded seats not bench seats.

if the 9yr old cannot handle sitting in front of behind you and the 6yr old then I suggest you skip it.

I know this isn't answering your question but last time we went we got 3 in a row on Thunder Mountain (dh, me and our 5 yo)

As an added note, they will not let a seat go empty on the 7DMT. So whichever child is not seated by you will be seated next to a stranger.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! My 9 year old isn't much for roller coasters so I'm not sure yet how he will react to riding alone, I like the suggestion of deciding when we get up to the ride and taking the chicken exit if he decides to skip it. I'm not telling them about the trip until Christmas so I'll be sure to show them youtube videos and discuss it before we go. As far as TSM and Buzz, I think they'd be fine riding together, if it's allowed. We will be skipping BIg thunder but I'd like them to try Barnstormer. Thanks again!

The official policy is that anyone 7 and under must ride with someone 14 or older, so make sure that your 9 year old is really prepared to ride alone (or with a stranger) if you intend to ride those rides.

As for BTMRR, may I ask why you are planning to skip it? 7DMT is not much different (in my opinion), just has a much smoother ride. Maybe you could try BTMRR with the three of you in one car to guage how your 9 year old might do alone before waiting in line for 7DMT and possibly either wasting a FP or waiting for over an hour and then leaving via the chicken exit.

With our child swap thansk to a super tiny 3 y/o H & I were constantly "single" parents with a 5 & 8 yr old. Almost every ride made me sit with the 5 yr old and our 8yr sat alone.

Mine Train was the only ride that MADE my 2 girls sit in FRONT of me -- the CM specified they had to sit in front of me.

I didn't like it, I would rather squish my big butt next to one of my kids than a stranger, lol.

FYI you and your two kids will fit easily in a single row on btmrr and barnstormer. I still fit with my now 5' tall tween boys.

As an added note, they will not let a seat go empty on the 7DMT. So whichever child is not seated by you will be seated next to a stranger.

We were just there Thanksgiving week, and my Dad was with me, my wife was going to ride by herself. My dad didn't fit (he's 6'7"), and his knees wouldn't bend. So I rode by myself, and my wife was by herself behind me.

We were just there Thanksgiving week, and my Dad was with me, my wife was going to ride by herself. My dad didn't fit (he's 6'7"), and his knees wouldn't bend. So I rode by myself, and my wife was by herself behind me.

I'm here this week and never saw that. I bet it doesn't happen often. Did he try to get in and then exit? They may have just wanted to get the car moving.

I rode solo several times and always got put with someone else.

The official policy is that anyone 7 and under must ride with someone 14 or older, so make sure that your 9 year old is really prepared to ride alone (or with a stranger) if you intend to ride those rides.

As for BTMRR, may I ask why you are planning to skip it? 7DMT is not much different (in my opinion), just has a much smoother ride. Maybe you could try BTMRR with the three of you in one car to guage how your 9 year old might do alone before waiting in line for 7DMT and possibly either wasting a FP or waiting for over an hour and then leaving via the chicken exit.

My son has seen BTMRR and hasn't wanted to ride it in the past, I'm not even positive he'll want to ride 7DMT... I think that if he did, he'd like it but I kind of ruined him by tricking him into riding Space Mountain last time we went :worried: He came off of there white as a ghost (he rode with my mom) However, now that I know we can all ride together, maybe we will try BTMRR first!

When I was there is October CMs were not letting anyone sit three across on Barnstormer. My 7 and 9 year old did get a little disappointed that they could never ride with dad or mom. But we always had to ride with our other kids under 7. CMs also asked every ride my 7 and 9 year old's ages. At first my 9 year old did not want to go in the single rider line and sit with a stranger, but as soon as he realized that his sister (who had no problems with this) would be riding a lot more, he quickly changed his mind.

I'm here this week and never saw that. I bet it doesn't happen often. Did he try to get in and then exit? They may have just wanted to get the car moving.

I rode solo several times and always got put with someone else.

I was with a group of 7 (in Nov) and our last person sat by himself. He's normal size, we had no seating issues/delays. They just didn't fill the seat.

DH, DS and I were at Disney December 2 through December 14. DH and DS would ride 7DMT together and the CM always put a stranger with me.

My dd and ds have typically ridden together, so that neither had to ride alone. He just turned 7, and has been 4 times between 4 and 6. I can only recall 2 times when a cm asked for a different arrangement. He is 54 inches, so maybe people assumed he was older. I didn't know this wasn't allowed! Ironically, it is my 9 year old who would not ride alone! The younger one is all set for single rider!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter