• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Single Travelling Female Tips Please

Fantasia Sam

I've been here so much longer!
I am definately going to go to DISCon 2002 in December and I was wondering if anyone can advise me on teh following:

I was looking at booking either at the Swan or Dolphin, any opinions as to which is the better and why (hope they're still not on strike then!)?

I read on someone's thead that I can get good rates at both of these hotels with Disney Club Card can someone enlighten me?....

....or should I book with Dreams Vacation or someone.

Lastly I'm a bit nervous yet also excited about the prospect of travelling all that way on my own (even though those of you who have met me may think otherwise) .. any tips or guidance on singular travel?

Thanks in advance

I think the best tip I have about travelling to Florida on your own is to take me with you :)

Hi Sam - you can get discounts for these hotels from DreamsRES. We've just stayed at the Dolphin and although similar in style, the Swan is much smaller - I think I would choose the Swan over the Dolphin. I think that either are a great choice for a solo trip and it's really nice being in the Epcot resorts location. You have the Friendship boats to take you to and from Epcot and MGM Studios too and Boardwalk just a 5 minute walk away.

Hi Sam :wave:

We love the Dolphin :D

You can get half price rooms with a DC Card or an Annual Pass, as far as I know the discount is the same for both. I always book direct by 'phoning the Dolphin, sorry don't have the no to hand, but if you go into their website www.swandolphin.com you will find the 'phone number. The on-line booking service doesn't let you get DC or AP rates so you need to give them a ring.

Also worth doing is joining Starwood Preferred Guest at www.spg.com

Starwood own the dolphin and Swan and if you join now they will send you a membership card. This will give you points on your stay and also they have a dedicated spg check in at the Dolphin (not sure about the Swan). You are more likely to get a room upgrade if you are a spg member, so I am told, so it's worth doing!

Regarding rooms, there are three types of rates which reflect the view you get. Standard view could be garden or parking lot, Lake View overlooks the lake (obviously!) and Resort View overlook Epcot, where I believe you can see the fireworks in the evening. As you are travelling on your own I would go for a King Room, a lovely large bed all to yourself! Some rooms have balconies too. We have booked a Lake View hoping for an upgrade to a Resort View. If you join Starwood remember to mention you are a member when you book your room, and they will note it on your booking.

I think as you are going on your own I would recommend the Dolphin, as you have everything you need in the one building, including Tubbi's which is open 24 hours if you feel the need for a quick midnight snack, just go down in the lift, it's great! The health club and hairdressers are also in the Dolphin too.

Hope this helps! If you need any more info let me know!

Sam, you will definately need a big strong man with you, which is why i,m offering you my services.
I will look after you baby and keep all those disney villians at bay.
(can,t go while the world cups on tho):jester:

For advice on solo traveling, you might get more responses on the General DIS Boards. My advice to you would be to be smart and aware, and just use common sense. The theme parks are safe, and there are plenty of Cast Members around if you need someone in a hurry.

The only time I feel I need to be more careful is at Downtown Disney at night. There are a lot of non-tourists who go there for a night out. Some of them look a little scary to me, so this is when I would be more street-smart. I don't mean to alarm you, because I have never experienced anything negative there. I just felt like I needed to be more aware because of the darkness, and how spread out the buildings were.

Hmmm Flakey you obviously haven't seen me but strength is not what I need;)

Tim if only :D

Well Mazzy and Shirley you're just way confusing me now - I think I may go for the Dolphin... OMG .. decisions, decisions:rolleyes:

Joanne, thanks for the advice it's good to know that others go on there own.

I've stayed at the Dolphin twice and love it, even if it IS a maze, LOL. The Swan is smaller, but equally nice so I wouldn't worry too much - I'd be happy to stay at either :)

Keep watching the DISCON board. I know I read there that the DIS was negotiating a special Convention rate with them, which most likely (fingers crossed) will be a better rate that what you'd get with DC and the like (and still probably qualify for the SPG programme).

Penny :)

Hey, maybe we could meet up? Im traveling to DISCON on my own but have arranged a roomie via these boards. I get there late on the 2nd (flying from Manchester) and leave around 4pm on the 9th. We are also thinking of staying at the Dolphin :D

Emma

Emma thats a definite - I've been looking at the DisCon Forum and I really must put my name down for your Karaoke and other things I think I let Ray know but haven't gone into each individual thread just yet.

Penny I'll wait then - I think I'll just book me flight in the meantime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter