Sinkhoke Swallowing Summer Bay Resort

Any hydrologists/geologists out there that can ease our minds about the Disney parks and resorts? Crazy stuff!

Any hydrologists/geologists out there that can ease our minds about the Disney parks and resorts? Crazy stuff!

I'm no geologist but with this being 10 miles away from Disney, I think it's safe to say Disney will be fine. Unless one opens up there but there's no telling where one will open

If you want 100% assurance then you won't get that . Anywhere that soil/rock can be dissolved a sinkhole can occur. We had one here in Central Ontario last week the took out lanes in a major highway (like a US interstate). Florida is mostly limestone which dissolves so they have them all over the state. Disney already has reportedly had some. However, given its 42 years of existence and no reported collapses of buildings I'm not going to start worrying now.

I would think that Disney is keenly aware of this problem and doing their best to be proactive about it. I'm sure they would not want to have one of these articles appear about WDW itself. Not the best way to draw tourists.

I would think that Disney is keenly aware of this problem and doing their best to be proactive about it. I'm sure they would not want to have one of these articles appear about WDW itself. Not the best way to draw tourists.

Also to protect their investment...

With Disney's deep pockets and extreme potential for loss is there anyway to detect these before they collapse?

With Disney's deep pockets and extreme potential for loss is there anyway to detect these before they collapse?

I have read that problem areas can be detected and shored up before a hole opens. I would assume that Disney makes sure to keep up on these issues.

After I read this all I could think was ' this would be my luck that disney world would be sucked into a sinkhole when i just paid off my trip ' :wizard:

I have read that problem areas can be detected and shored up before a hole opens. I would assume that Disney makes sure to keep up on these issues.

1) No.
2) There is no way to predict a sinkhole.
3) That is why most home insurance includes special sinkhole coverage.
4) The fact is
. . . most of Florida is over limestone deposits.
. . . as the water aquifer ebbs and flows, it erodes the deposits
. . . when erosion is enough, the sand & clay above it collapses into the void
. . . voilà !
. . . sinkhole
. . . can be small or massive

ThurlFan said:

I'm a geologist.
No easing your mind, they happen, little to no warning, they can be big or small(ish).
On the brighter side Disney probably doesn't want them as much as you do so they could have programs in place, such as looking for active signs of subsidence, they probably would notice unusual cracking in the structure in the utiladors below the park because of weakened substrate. Or they maybe be actively monitoring the ground in key places.
Keep in mind though sinkholes taking lives are rare, the media plays this up because they suck as actual journalists. Think of how many stories you have read/heard about and place that in context of a country of 300 million people. Could you one day be swallowed by a sinkhole, it's possible however very unlikely. Its like could I have abs like Hugh Jackman (hold on let me check). Nope, could I? Possible, but since I don't plan on doing another sit up as long as I live, very unlikely.
The best protection I can advise is for everyone in your party to pick a partner, keep 25 feet apart and tether yourselves together with rope.
Hope this helps. I'll let you know if the ab thing ever happens.

The best protection I can advise is for everyone in your party to pick a partner, keep 25 feet apart and tether yourselves together with rope.
Hope this helps. I'll let you know if the ab thing ever happens.

Hmm so you are saying all those parents who tether/leash their kids just might be onto something in regards to sinkhole safety??? lol

arthropodtodd said:
Hmm so you are saying all those parents who tether/leash their kids just might be onto something in regards to sinkhole safety??? lol

Exactly.

P. S. Ab thing hasn't happened yet.

they can happen anywhere that geological elements are right for them. florida is famous for them. but they happen in other states also.

where builders fill in on property to make the area they way they want or to bury building supplies is a prime area. the building supplies erode and then the earth sinks.:rolleyes2 altho these holes are not usually as large they can still cause a danger to homes and highways. in some areas they move mountains to rebuild them in a different location.

i am glad it did not happen on disney prop., any of it, because i enjoy all of disney and when the news said "villas" i immediately thought of dvc.

It's the luck of the draw. I've heard of instances that were inspected and cleared and a sink hole happened.

My aunt lives in Hernando county. Beginning last year she had her sink hole insurance cancelled by the insurance company. Companies don't want to write insurance and I imagine if they did there would be a hefty premium.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter