Sister Wives

I thought Kody was protecting Aurelia and Solomon, his 2 youngest from covid since they couldn't be vaccinated.

I thought Kody was protecting Aurelia and Solomon, his 2 youngest from covid since they couldn't be vaccinated.
In the beginning yes, but I'm 99% sure the pp is correct and at this time they had all gotten Covid except Aurora. It's when he and Christine were at dinner working out xmas plans and he asked them to test for Auroras sake, as she was the only one who hadn't gotten it.

I can’t imagine any of those kids would qualify. Same for Medicaid. Kind of hard to work that system when the world can see you living in million dollar homes and TLC is writing you a check.

depends on how they have it structured (for both)-

their homes would be totaly exempt for medicaid purposes (and from what i recall they scraped just enough together to qualify to get into them). depending on how they structured the deal with the production company all the income could have been going to one person, and if it was say robyn (pre kody marriage) it would'nt have counted against the other households (kids for pell or medicaid). even if kody was the payee once you start doing all the calculations for the (then) wife support, all those kids...it's been estimated that they made $3 million over the course of the series so that's since 2010-

13 years divided by 3 million is about $231,000 per year,
$231,000 per year divided by 20 (kody/legal wife/18 kids) is $12,833 which is below the federal poverty limit for an individual person. even if they divided by wives/kids into individual family units it would come out as less b/c then the other 3 sister wives would get added to the equation. that's without figuring out all the income they could get disreguarded. i know way too much info but i saw it used very effectivly for decades with another group that practiced large families/multiple relationships and very lucrative incomes.

they either had income we don't know about (they were sure blowing money like they were though the were'nt paying their taxes or medical bills) OR they were clueless on applying for programs their kids needed (might have been a throwback to their paranoia over government oversight into their lives).

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure none of Robyn’s family (including Kody) have been vaccinated. Which makes it all the more maddening that he expects so much of everyone else to keep them “safe”.

I think early on they were protecting Solomon because he had RSV once. Which I have never heard listed as a risk factor. And it sounds like everyone but Aurora has had it now

I thought the wives received food stamps and welfare at points in their lives which would also make them eligible for Medicaid?

Since he’s not married to 3 of the wives they claim they are single mothers with little to no income and are eligible for all kinds of state aid. They worked the system for years which is a big thing in the polygamist community.

I could see them not applying anymore once their show got big. If someone found out it would be trouble.

I think Kody does have (or at least had) other income doing real estate.

Last edited:
I thought the wives received food stamps and welfare at points in their lives which would also make them eligible for Medicaid?

Since he’s not married to 3 of the wives they claim they are single mothers with little to no income and are eligible for all kinds of state aid. They worked the system for years which is a big thing in the polygamist community.

I could see them not applying anymore once their show got big. If someone found out it would be trouble.

I think Kody does have (or at least had) other income doing real estate.
I think once the show started, that option was off the table.

I don't recall Kody doing real estate. One of the wives, maybe Christine? got hers during the show but never did anything with it. In the early days I think Kody did advertising sales. And most recently he does gun shows. Not sure if he sells guns or just accessories, but it's in that universe. Which explains why they don't talk about it. In reality, I think most of Kody and Robyn's income is from the show. And Cameo appearances.

I think once the show started, that option was off the table.

I don't recall Kody doing real estate. One of the wives, maybe Christine? got hers during the show but never did anything with it. In the early days I think Kody did advertising sales. And most recently he does gun shows. Not sure if he sells guns or just accessories, but it's in that universe. Which explains why they don't talk about it. In reality, I think most of Kody and Robyn's income is from the show. And Cameo appearances.

Sorry. I didn’t mean as an agent. I didn’t word it correctly.

I could’ve sworn I saw a show where him and a friend were buying and selling properties for profit. He said it was his way of bringing in extra income. And then he went on about paying for college and weddings.

Sorry. I didn’t mean as an agent. I didn’t word it correctly.

I could’ve sworn I saw a show where him and a friend were buying and selling properties for profit. He said it was his way of bringing in extra income. And then he went on about paying for college and weddings.
Ah, could be. I don't recall, but I could see it. I just still have a sense that they live mostly off the show income.

This whole thing didn’t seem sustainable from the beginning. One man cannot meet the needs of 4 women and dozens of children. Heck, in the busy child raising years it can be difficult to keep the wheels on a singular marriage with two jobs and a couple of kids. Factor in Kody’s narcissistic personality and the fact that he brought Robyn in because he was bored with the others and it was headed for disaster.

With regard to him deciding to give up the physical side of at least 2 of the marriages (not sure about Janelle as I don’t recall her talking about it,) it seems to me that as he’s aged he just might not have the libido X 4. Especially since he actively disliked Meri and Christine and had Janelle in the friend zone. A young man might be capable of intimacy wherever and whenever but an older man might just want to go to sleep every 3rd or 4th night. 🤷🏻‍♀️😂

It seemed really convenient for Kody to blame the wives and stay at Robyn’s since that’s where he wanted to be anyway.
You know I think it is fine with adult individuals decide to live in a way that is non-traditional. I think polygamy can work but it definitely isn't an easy way to live and has its challenges. I'm not going to say that it can't work with the right people.

I also feel like ever since they moved out of Utah they did a really poor job of being co-located which really was a hit to their family dynamic. They had the short amount of time where they lived in the cul-de-sac and that was probably their best living situation after Utah but even there they struggled as they had gotten used to living separate.

I really just put all the blame for the relationships crumbling on Kody. He is the overlap with all of the wives and it is his job to work on each relationship. IMHO when one relationship was having trouble he would just devote more of his time to the one or ones that were working really well. I think he also has a bad habit of comparing the wives to one another.

I used to think that Robin was the main problem & to be fair I think she contributed a little but I really think the true problem is Kody. Robin is naturally more upbeat and I think she is more submissive and he really liked that about her and wanted the other wives to be more like. The problem was he didn't marry 3 other submissive wives. They were all more independent & were never going to be like Robin.

I actually feel bad for Robin this season as she wanted the whole plural marriage and obviously now she is in a monogamous relationship. Where I do fault Robin is the whole victim thing with the other children & wives. She isn't a victim nor are her children. The children have issues with Kody & to a lesser extent Robin. Unfortunately I think Robin is a scapegoat for Kody's decisions. The kids need to keep the blame on Kody.

It is a shame the younger kids won't know the sibling relationships that the older kids have but Kody made his bed and now he is going to have to lie in it...

Just watched the latest episode. They spent a good amount of time on the gift exchange between the siblings. Seems something went wrong with the exchange, Robyn got involved and it ended in hurt feelings. I couldn’t figure out what went wrong. Did anyone?

Just watched the latest episode. They spent a good amount of time on the gift exchange between the siblings. Seems something went wrong with the exchange, Robyn got involved and it ended in hurt feelings. I couldn’t figure out what went wrong. Did anyone?

If I remember correctly someone decided to add the parents into the group chat (I bet Aurora) and Robyn decided it would be a good idea if they set up a video chat. Janelle explained that some of the kids can't immediately get on a video chat and it was best to suggest a time and I assume times weren't lining up and Robyn said forget it. She got upset and washed her hands of the whole thing. Then someone said Robyn's kids don't even remember some of their siblings and Gwyn said something sarcastic and the crap hit the fan.

With 18 kids and most of them adults, it's understandable that they couldn't agree on a time to video chat. It's difficult for me to get my 4 young adults in the same place or same space at a time.

I think it's commendable that they at least wanted to try to do a sibling gift exchange.

I do think Robyn and her kids should have piped down and let the other kids sort it out and then rolled with what was decided, especially since there are strained relationships with the older kids and Kody. I am sure that there are many things in the relationships with Robyn and her older kids and Kody that we haven't seen on camera that are lurking under the surface. And Robyn, not having kids who have launched yet, has no clue on how relationships with young adult kids should work.

i think kody just has unreasonable expectations about how families morph and change as kids age up. it is entirely normal as kids age into adults and gain significant others, spouses, their s/o's and spouses' families, their adult friend groups, their own kiddos....to either be unwilling or unable to gather for major holiday events. i'm the youngest with 3 much older sibs and i don't remember more than a handful of whole nuclear family christmas mornings or thanksgiving dinners b/c my sibs were with their spouse's families. it seems like with the different branches of the brown kids they plan holiday get togethers and welcome their sibs and the other moms for the most part but NO! kody wants his vision of the norman rockwell holiday on his turf and anything that detracts from it is a personal offense (EXCEPT during covid when noone is welcome inside his and robyn's household bubble-except the nanny:rolleyes:).

inisisting on his adult sons doing a formal sitdown together with him before family can gather together is just drawing a line in the sand and it gives those young men and those that support them a valid reason for remaining estranged.

i can see a future where kody is only close to a very few of his pre robyn kids. as far as robyn's-he has managed to raise them in a very isolated manner, esp. with covid. i suspect they are limited in their access to social media and viewing the show, they've been on lockdown for longer than most due to covid paranoia, entirely homeschooled during this time with even the college students living at home (dayton when he was attending/still now living in a trailer on the property and it's been reported both aurora and breanna attend and live at home). the added isolation from the other members of the family will only have them hearing kody's side (and as mean and nasty as he gets i suspect there can be a fear factor that after being cut off from one father they run the risk of losing a second if they fall out of favor with kody:sad1:).

It was never sustainable financially either. Hence, the fact that apparently most of those kids spent large parts of their childhoods uninsured.

I do love that they started on the show to prove how viable their lifestyle was, and now it turns out to be a very public display of why it isn't.
Agreed. It was obvious from episode one that their lifestyle was not financially sustainable. It’s very very irresponsible to father that many children with no plan to support them. It was very irresponsible of Janelle and Christine to have so many children with no viable financial plan. Janelle is the only one who seemed prepared to work to support them.

Ah, could be. I don't recall, but I could see it. I just still have a sense that they live mostly off the show income.
:scratchin Which, if the 3 million figure noted up-thread is accurate, really isn’t all that much when divided over 13 years and between 4 separate households.

During the Kody/Janelle blow-up, I kept wishing she would tell him that his relationship with his sons is his responsibility, not hers and when he changed his position, he should have never stopped reaching out to his sons until it was resolved. Also, if he had three wives now, she should be seeing him every three days. It sounded like she doesn't see him very often.

I know they have to edit everything so I'm hoping that was said but we won't know. I would have liked to have seen the whole thing.

Just…wow…
He had the actual audacity to say she deprived him of his family. Seriously dude? His relationship with his kids is up to HIM. He worked overtime trying to twist this whole thing into being Janelle’s fault.

There at the end when it was still a question on whether he’d see any of them for Christmas, Robyn jumps in “are you going to be okay with that, you weren’t last year.” Translation: Oh crap, I might not have him all to myself for the holiday let me remind him he’s angry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter