Sitting with kids on the plane

kw2kids

Earning My Ears
We are flying with AirTran in a few weeks time, and my husband convinced me that we should pay the extra money and pre-book seats so we can all sit together. Well, I just went and checked, and there are NO seats together left (not even 2 and 2)! The only ones together are the exit aisle, but we can't sit there. So there is no point in me paying the extra now.

I have a 6 yr old and a 4 yr old. I'm wondering if they will really have to sit by themselves on the plane? My 6 yr old would likely be okay (as long as she has a book or two to read!), but my 4 yr old would freak out if he wasn't beside my husband or I. Actually, it might be a nice relaxing trip if some stranger gets stuck entertaining him for the whole trip! :confused3

We are flying with AirTran in a few weeks time, and my husband convinced me that we should pay the extra money and pre-book seats so we can all sit together. Well, I just went and checked, and there are NO seats together left (not even 2 and 2)! The only ones together are the exit aisle, but we can't sit there. So there is no point in me paying the extra now.

I have a 6 yr old and a 4 yr old. I'm wondering if they will really have to sit by themselves on the plane? My 6 yr old would likely be okay (as long as she has a book or two to read!), but my 4 yr old would freak out if he wasn't beside my husband or I. Actually, it might be a nice relaxing trip if some stranger gets stuck entertaining him for the whole trip! :confused3

when you get to the airport just go to the check in desk and explain the situation, the airline will have no problem "moving people around" so that your small children will not sit alone with strangers. all 4 of you probably won't be together but they will most likely work out a 2 & 2 situation.

You will probably be able to work out something for the 4 yr old, but don't promise it to the 6 yr old. And unlike the previous poster it is not guaranteed that they will move people around especially for the 6 yr old. They may be able to get you behind the child or both of you in middle seats in the same row but prepare them ahead and give them their own bags of snacks and entertainment. I also wouldn't ask for it except for the 4 yr old so they cooperate more with you.

Check in online right at the 24 hour mark. I bet you will find seats together then. I don't know if they block seats out or what for last minute travelers, but they always have more availability then.

I agree not to expect to sit all together (2 and 2 more likely), but despite what the skeptics say on these boards, someone will move to allow you to sit with the 4 year old and probably even the 6 year old, especially on an Orlando flight. I have seen many families get split up, but I have never, ever seen a child younger than 5 made to sit all by themselves and usually we are on packed flights.

Be prepared for the worst case scenario. Our last flights to WDW were loaded with kids and families - many looking to do what you want to do. Not everyone will be accomodated. Good luck.

My kids are 8/10 so we didn't pre-book seats on airtrain.

check in at exactly 24hrs ahead. Airtran has already assigned you seats. All 3 legs of our trip in August they had booked us together. (at the very back of the plane but we were ok with that) Then you just click that these seats are ok.

Last year when we went my DD was seated diagonally behind me. She would have been totally fine. As soon as people saw we were separated they started moving, even though we didn't ask them too.

We are flying AirTran for our trip in 2 weeks. When we bought our tickets - almost 10 months ago - we bit the bullet and paid the fee so we could pick our seats, 4 together (3 in row 14 and 1 across the isle of row 14). I will sit by the window, dd5 and dd8 in the middle and isle seats (so they can share the dvd player) and dh across the isle sitting by the stranger. It was well worth the money (as much as I hated to pay it) to have the peace of mind that we would all be together and as close to the front of the plane as possible.

Don't count on AirTran moving people around for you. They CAN'T move people who have paid for their seat assignment so the reps options may be very limited on what they can do as most people with kids do pay for their seat assignments for this very reason.

The only way that you can guarantee that one of you will be seated with the 4yo is to bring along a harnessed carseat for the child to sit in, and call the airline immediately to tell them that you will be doing so. Federal law requires that a child in a carseat be seated next to an adult in the party, for possible evacuation reasons. (The carseat will also have to go in the window position.)

Don't count on passengers who have paid for seat positions being willing to give them up. There is a psychological factor that makes people much more reluctant to give up seats that they have paid extra to get.

The only way that you can guarantee that one of you will be seated with the 4yo is to bring along a harnessed carseat for the child to sit in, and call the airline immediately to tell them that you will be doing so. Federal law requires that a child in a carseat be seated next to an adult in the party, for possible evacuation reasons. (The carseat will also have to go in the window position.)

Don't count on passengers who have paid for seat positions being willing to give them up. There is a psychological factor that makes people much more reluctant to give up seats that they have paid extra to get.

Personally, I would never lug around a carseat for a 4 year old to save a couple bucks. Just my .02

Last year when we went my DD was seated diagonally behind me. She would have been totally fine. As soon as people saw we were separated they started moving, even though we didn't ask them too.
I was going to say this, my guess is if someone sees a child travelling with family but sitting alone & they are travelling alone (or even not, but are just nice!) they will switch with you. I certainly would!!

We paid to choose our seats on Airtran as well -- thankfully there were seats available to do this on both flights. I have the 2 big kids sitting with my MIL :-)rotfl: ) in the row behind us, and then my DH & I in window & aisle seats with the middle seat currently empty. I will have our 18 month old with me, so if the seat is free, AWESOME, if not, we'll give up the window or aisle to the middle seat person so we can sit next to each other and not be passing the baby over top of them :thumbsup2

GOOD LUCK. I'd try not to stress, just have faith that it'll work out somehow. Prepare them, take entertainment for them, but hopefully between the Airtran people and the kindness of strangers, you guys will be at least 2 & 2.

Personally, I would never lug around a carseat for a 4 year old to save a couple bucks. Just my .02
They aren't looking to do it in order to save money, they just don't want the 4 year old to be seated alone.

Keep your fingers crossed, and check in right at the 24 hour mark. If that fails, get to the airport a little early and have a chat with the gate agent. Airlines will not force people to move to accomodate you, but sometimes the gate agent can juggle people around a bit, keeping everyone happy.

Keep in mind too that if you end up apart, trade a more desirable seat for a less desirable one. That is, if you are seated in 4C and your 4yr old is in 14B, and the person in 14C if they would trade with you. That way the person trading with you is getting a "better" seat, instead of a worse one by helping you out.

They aren't looking to do it in order to save money, they just don't want the 4 year old to be seated alone.

Paying the seat fee is the only guarantee (short of lugging around a carseat) that the 4 year old won't be sitting alone. So just pay the money for the seat assignment and stop worrying about it.

I just went and checked, and there are NO seats together left (not even 2 and 2)! The only ones together are the exit aisle, but we can't sit there. So there is no point in me paying the extra now.

Don't do it online - call and do it over the phone and the agent will have seats open that are blocked out online and will be able to get you 2 or 4 seats together.

I work for an airline- they're not going to seat the young child alone. 20% of the seats are reserved for airport handling, so they will have the flexibility to accomodate requets of people with young kids, and people with disabilites who are seated in restricted areas etc.

Think about it- if you're in 5a and she's in 10c, she's basically an unaccompanied minor. They're not going to allow that . But Drusilla is right- we can override premium seats you can't access online, so try calling. You may be happy you did. :)

Think about it- if you're in 5a and she's in 10c, she's basically an unaccompanied minor. They're not going to allow that . But Drusilla is right- we can override premium seats you can't access online, so try calling. You may be happy you did. :)

Oh yes they can and will! My kids have been seated away from me. So don't promise things that aren't guaranteed. She isn't unaccompanied, that only applies for getting on and off the plane and for making connections. Once they are on the plane they do nothing special that they don't do for all the other fliers.

Odds are you will be fine--but occasionally no one wants to move. I never really PUSHED it (I knew my kids were capable of handlig a plane ride; they travel a lot) but I think both of my kids sat alone once as preschoolers (I think DD was 3 and DS barely 4). Normally, with the three of us, we can get at least two together and then I put the kids with each other rather than making one of them sit alone.
Go in hoping for the best (and knowing it likely will happen) but having preparedt he four year old for that the fact that "sometimes on crowded planes the big kids like you sit away from their parents." Have a plan with both kids about going to the restroom (teach them to read the seatbelt signs, show them your seat as you board and have them stop by to tell you on their way to and from), what they may order to drink, go over airplane "rules" (no kicking seat in front of you, do not move the tray table up and down a million and one times, soft voice, etc.), make sure the kids can find their own toys and snacks in their backpacks etc. It will be fine.

Sometimes, I think I would be happy to pay extra to be seated AWAY from my kids...JK:rotfl:

Sorry...not helpful!

Sometimes, I think I would be happy to pay extra to be seated AWAY from my kids...JK:rotfl:

Sorry...not helpful!

I agree :lmao:

Actually this upcoming trip there are five of us (me, DH, DS3, DN9 and my mom). Mom has offered to sit with the kids (we are flying southwest). We figured the kids wouldn't want to be seperated since they are not bro/sis and don't see each other a lot. Mom offered to sit with them so DH and I are very excited to have a nice relaxing flight down if all goes as planned!!!!

I've written this before for someone else, but it works well here as well. My "steps to take if you cannot book seats together".

1) Try calling the airline. Airlines hold back some seats and may be able to open up enough so that all children are beside one adult (not necessarily all 4 of you together).

2) Keep checking - people cancel flights/change seats. Take a pair if you can get it (or a triple). For people in the "single seats", choose ones that other people may want so that you have good seats to trade (i.e. aisle seats near the front of the plane).

3) Do online check in at the 24 hour mark. The seats that are held back are now opened up plus some people may have been upgraded. You have a good chance of moving to seats that are together.

4) Get to the airport early and ask the check-in agent if there are together seats that you can move to (again, people may have moved/upgraded/canceled).

5) When you get to the gate, talk to the gate agent. Changes are still happening and they may be able to help you.

6) If all else fails and you get on the plane and you have all single seats, nicely ask people if they would mind trading (but know that they have every right to reject the request). You have much better odds if you are offering your "better" seat. For example, if one seat is in row 5 and the other seat is in row 32, you'll do much better asking the person beside you in row 32 to move up to row 5 (and you and your child sit in row 32) than the opposite.

7) If you are still separated, you can choose to deplane and take a later flight. Before considering this, make sure you know if there are still together seats available on a subsequent flight (and that there IS a subsequent). Also, this will likely be at a cost to you.

I have NEVER seen anyone get to step 7 (not saying it doesn't happen, I've just never seen it) and rarely step 6 (generally only on holiday flights with lots of families none of whom want to sit split up or even go one adult/one child one place and another adult/child somewhere else).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter