Sitting without mobile order?

You might consider planning a strategy for traveling with your mom that takes advantage of the inside, air conditioned shows and rides. In MK, we like Carousel of Progress, Tiki Birds, Hall of Presidents, Philharmagic, Pirates, etc. AK, It's Tough to be a Bug is great for a cool break. Each park has a few things that will work. If she has a wheelchair or rollator, you can even look into some of the shops. Each park has a First Aid station. You can also plan ahead by mobile ordering nothing more than a cold drink for your party a few times each day. IMHO, people that aren't eating or drinking at a QS shouldn't sit there, especially if others who are paying customers are waiting. I'm glad Disney is finally doing something about that issue.

We were there in May. Yes, heaven forbid we wanted to sit in AC for a few minutes on a 95 degree day. My mother is up there in age and a recent cancer survivor….when she was overheated and needed to sit no cast members would let us in. We had a mobile order but it was too far out.

This is my first time posting on here and I am kind of surprised at the level of “shaming” for asking a simple question. Lesson learned on coming here for advice.

The QS was Pecos Bill

No shaming from me at all. I’m sorry about your mom, I have medical conditions myself and despite my best efforts at management even I get overwhelmed with the heat at the parks sometimes. On my last trip when I was just shopping at Mickey’s of Hollywood at the studios, a senior in a scooter came in for AC with her distraught family, she was diabetic and getting overcome by heat. Between several of us other guests we got her water, offered our fans etc. and she was ok.

In a situation like that I would actually suggest going to First Aid if you can manage to make it there. I had to do that when I was just down there, when I started feeling ill while sitting to eat lunch at Casey’s ironically enough for this thread. It was pouring down raining so it wasn’t the sun that got to me, it was actually the humidity. I took 2 bites of my food and had to toss it. Luckily First Aid at MK is literally right next door, next to Crystal Palace, so I went in there and the nurses were really sweet and let me lay down in the cool dark with some ibuprofen for my incoming migraine. 30 minutes of that did wonders and I was able to recover enough to make it back to my room at Coronado to rest.

When we were there in June, people were allowed to use the Tortuga Tavern (which is closed) seating area in MK… we carried spring rolls from the cart and sat there to eat, but there were several people there that had packed their own food or were just taking a breather.

I ate a dole whip there when it was raining really bad. It’s open air but out of the sun and it gets a good breeze.

We were there in May. Yes, heaven forbid we wanted to sit in AC for a few minutes on a 95 degree day. My mother is up there in age and a recent cancer survivor….when she was overheated and needed to sit no cast members would let us in. We had a mobile order but it was too far out.

This is my first time posting on here and I am kind of surprised at the level of “shaming” for asking a simple question. Lesson learned on coming here for advice.

The QS was Pecos Bill

I completely understand why anyone wants to sit in some air conditioning. The weather can get brutal. Normally, it is not an issue during off times. The problem was that people would be doing that at peak meal times and then diners had no place to sit and eat. I can't imagine that you, or anyone else would think that it is reasonable to take up a table at a packed restaurant, while those with food had no place to sit and eat. WDW does need more cool places to sit and rest, no doubt about it.

No shaming from me at all. I’m sorry about your mom, I have medical conditions myself and despite my best efforts at management even I get overwhelmed with the heat at the parks sometimes. On my last trip when I was just shopping at Mickey’s of Hollywood at the studios, a senior in a scooter came in for AC with her distraught family, she was diabetic and getting overcome by heat. Between several of us other guests we got her water, offered our fans etc. and she was ok.

In a situation like that I would actually suggest going to First Aid if you can manage to make it there. I had to do that when I was just down there, when I started feeling ill while sitting to eat lunch at Casey’s ironically enough for this thread. It was pouring down raining so it wasn’t the sun that got to me, it was actually the humidity. I took 2 bites of my food and had to toss it. Luckily First Aid at MK is literally right next door, next to Crystal Palace, so I went in there and the nurses were really sweet and let me lay down in the cool dark with some ibuprofen for my incoming migraine. 30 minutes of that did wonders and I was able to recover enough to make it back to my room at Coronado to rest.

I want to second the suggestion of using the First Aid Stations. I had to take my special needs adult son to First Aid station because of sun screen in his eye, the CM helping us explained people who are overheated may come and cool off at First Aid.

As other have stated every park has an First aide station they are all very nice inside and have rocking chairs in a nice room. if you look at the maps you will find where they are although they may be out of your way still the nest option. There are actually some very nice outside place in MK to rest that not used very much. MK also has some seating in the store outside space mountain for AC. EPCOT has seating at the end of some of the attractions. AK is a hot day for all..... but a lot of rest areas that are shaded. HS will also be mostly outdoor rests at this point but also has shaded areas. Not shaming but maybe you can try to go in November-March as in general it is a lot cooler so heat is not a porblem.

I didn’t see any shaming. Trust me, if I do it’s gone. We don’t do that here

As to using a restaurant for a break w/o food, that is a thing of the past. W reduced seating and mobile ordering, their no admittance policy without food in hand/mobile order ready-this is the future. A restaurant is not an appropriate place to take a break w/o ordering. (This is a factual state,met, no shaming, I promise)

Which is why, as a pp said, there are rides and shows w ac that are perfect for a break. Ellen’s universe of energy was THE best place for a rest and a nap. Hope you can use the first aid center for mom going forward. Be well

When we were there in June, people were allowed to use the Tortuga Tavern (which is closed) seating area in MK… we carried spring rolls from the cart and sat there to eat, but there were several people there that had packed their own food or were just taking a breather.

We ate both our packed lunches there early this month. While a bit hidden there is also a small inside room with air conditioning and bathrooms. We check there first for a table.

But even if outside it is covered and has ceiling fans.

Energy was such a huge disappointment, except it was a great place to cool off and relax in A/C.

I am personally thrilled that I haven’t had to try to stake out or hunt down a table while balancing a tray with food. More power to Disney if they keep this around.

We went to Satuli on Tuesday during the rain and we had zero issue finding a spot indoors. The CMs were letting others sit at the outside tables to get some protection from the rain, but they were turning away everyone else from entering the indoor portion.

Yes, heaven forbid we wanted to sit in AC for a few minutes on a 95 degree day.
Your best bet is attractions or to give you a break on the hot days as previously mentioned.

FWIW we've always done that. Everyone needs a break from the heat, humidity and just from the hectic day. Your issue isn't about needing a break. It's about where. All over, not just at Disney, sitting at a place to eat without getting food (nevermind intending to eat but getting a table first) is a hotbed topic for a reason. If there's an alternative it's best to do that. At Disney the alternative for sitting down for the purposes of A/C and a break is indoor attractions.

If you don't need a place to sit and you're just looking for A/C the shops (including gift shops of attractions) are good for that and if you're on Main Street in Magic Kingdom try to walk through the shops if you can reasonably do so to give yourself a quick break from the heat on your way out or further into the park.

For your next trip go to WDW's website and take notice of all the attractions that are indoors and make a list of that and if you need to use maps that Disney has when you're there to easily locate these places do so. That way you are able to more quickly identify where to go for that break. I don't think it's changed but we heavily took advantage of Disney's courtesy cups of iced water they have and we carry a reusable water container to make sure we have water with us.

The QS was Pecos Bill
Welcome to the Disboards! Sorry you felt that you were being shamed for your question. You unwittingly raised a topic that has been the subject of many heated debates on here - whether or not people should be able to take up table space at quick service restaurants if they are not ordering food or have not gotten their food yet. As others have alluded to, before the current mobile order setup finding a table after you picked up your food was much worse than it currently is.

i never once saw the whole ride. I always fell asleep during it lol

I remember looking around at the Disney Jr show at Hollywood Studios - this would have been in 2015, and we were there during a November heat wave - and 95% of the dads were passed out (some snoring) on the floor during the show. The moms were trying to hold it together, kids on their laps, singing along, etc. but the dads were overtaken by the air conditioned, dark space once they stretched out on the floor.

One potential tip. Restaurant Marrakesh - at the back of the Morocco pavilion - is currently open as an air-conditioned relaxation station. No food or beverage sold there but can go in and rest (can also bring food with you). It's not advertised very well (or wasn't last week) but worth making note of and having in the back of your mind. I hope you have a great trip!

Always hated the table hunger games. We always eat off hours. Really was annoyed with people with no food taking tables. With kids it’s hard. They do need more cooling areas but Florida is always hot and humid and just can overwhelm people easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter