Situation: Now they want to go with us... what are the options?

Missa1227

Earning My Ears
I'm hoping to get some insight... We just became new DVC members in November (home resort BC). We were able to go and take my parents with us this past February in a 2 bedroom (we have 3 young kids as well) and loved it. We booked at the 11 month mark for only a 1 bedroom for our next vacation because my parents weren't sure if they'd want to go. Now they decided they are interested in going, but BC is sold out for studios and we are almost at the 7 month mark. I also don't have any points left as a borrowed to book our one bedroom.

At this point, are the options to just pay for transfer points from any resort or search for an already booked reservation? They couldn't get into SAB if they are at another resort though, right?

What options can I have for the future? Should I just book a 2 bedroom? Could it then be changed easily to a 1 bedroom if they didn't go? I know BC is a small resort so that limits options. Ideas? TIA

At this point, a transfer or rental are the only DVC options.

They can’t go to SAB if not guests so they’d have to do cash if you want that and can’t get a DVC reservation.

In the future, you could book a 1 bedroom and a studio and drop the studio if they don’t come. Booking as a 2 bedroom can’t just be changed. While there have been a few reports they got MS to do it, plenty of other who couldn’t because it’s not technically supposed to be allowed.

Are you going in March and how many days? That still looks wide open for 2BR.

There’s many alternatives and mostly depends on personal preference. Would you have enough points to book the BCV 2BR for a good part of your trip? Then buy transferred points for the other part. After that look at availability options left for 2BRs. Maybe you can add a few days at BC, or look at monorail resorts to split the stay. That can work out nicely having close access to 3 parks over the trip. Would 2 studios at Poly work… if not there’s still BLT and GFV. And waitlisting Possibilities.

What options can I have for the future? Should I just book a 2 bedroom? Could it then be changed easily to a 1 bedroom if they didn't go? I know BC is a small resort so that limits options. Ideas? TIA
If you book a 2BR and they can't go, you might be able to modify to a 1BR, but only if a 1BR was still available for your dates. So booking a 1BR and a studio, as Sandi suggests, would be easier because you could simply drop the studio and keep the 1BR.

If you do book the 1BR and a studio, you should notify MS via chat, email or phone to put a "traveling with" notification on both reservations (give MS the two confirmation numbers) so that they'll place you as close together as possible when room assignments are made.

I also don't have any points left as a borrowed to book our one bedroom.
This seems like the most important bit. You'll probably either need to transfer in points, book a 2BR in a less expensive resort, or add on.

If you borrowed points for the 1BR, you can't afford the 2BR.

I'd price out Swan and Dolphin. They aren't far and they might surprise you this far out. The other option would be to change to a BW 1BR -- and then rent points for a BW studio. There are a lot more of those, they aren't impossible to get. They might even make you into a lockoff.

They can’t go to SAB if not guests so they’d have to do cash if you want that and can’t get a DVC reservation.

In the future, you could book a 1 bedroom and a studio and drop the studio if they don’t come. Booking as a 2 bedroom can’t just be changed. While there have been a few reports they got MS to do it, plenty of other who couldn’t because it’s not technically supposed to be allowed

In the future, you could book a 1 bedroom and a studio and drop the studio if they don’t come. Booking as a 2 bedroom can’t just be changed. While there have been a few reports they got MS to do it, plenty of other who couldn’t because it’s not technically supposed to be allowed.
Thanks! Good to know!

If you borrowed points for the 1BR, you can't afford the 2BR.

I'd price out Swan and Dolphin. They aren't far and they might surprise you this far out. The other option would be to change to a BW 1BR -- and then rent points for a BW studio. There are a lot more of those, they aren't impossible to get. They might even make you into a lockoff.
Thanks, I'll check that out too!

If you book a 2BR and they can't go, you might be able to modify to a 1BR, but only if a 1BR was still available for your dates. So booking a 1BR and a studio, as Sandi suggests, would be easier because you could simply drop the studio and keep the 1BR.

If you do book the 1BR and a studio, you should notify MS via chat, email or phone to put a "traveling with" notification on both reservations (give MS the two confirmation numbers) so that they'll place you as close together as possible when room assignments are made.
Ok, thanks! That's a good way of looking at it for future bookings!

BWV is bigger than BC & has a comparable location, but no SAB pool, maybe you can grab a 2 br. there? You can borrow up to 50% of next years points & if you’re just a little short at 7 months you can buy 24 one time use points from MS if that’ll help.

My best advice is to book whatever fits your needs wherever you can. I would book an entire resort for a chance to spend a week with my parents if you catch my drift.

You could try the rent/trade boards for a confirmed reservation for a studio. I think there are also DVC rental sites that have confirmed reservations.

Hi
Politely tell your parents that you made your reservations when they were hemming and hawing about going. Your reservations are booked and there are no rooms to upgrade nor do you have anymore points left if you could upload.. If they wish to go, they should try to pay cash at the same or a close resort.

You snooze you lose with DVC.

Since being low on points for this trip seems to be an issue, maybe you can find 2 studios at another resort at the 7 month mark. You would probably end up using about the same number of points. Of course you won't have the same amount of room as the 1 bedroom, but it might be a good compromise in order to include your parents.

You could call Member Services and ask if there are any cash discounts being offered for DVC rooms (non-point). I wouldn't mess with your point situation.

I would not give up your BC res.

I'm hoping to get some insight... We just became new DVC members in November (home resort BC). We were able to go and take my parents with us this past February in a 2 bedroom (we have 3 young kids as well) and loved it. We booked at the 11 month mark for only a 1 bedroom for our next vacation because my parents weren't sure if they'd want to go. Now they decided they are interested in going, but BC is sold out for studios and we are almost at the 7 month mark. I also don't have any points left as a borrowed to book our one bedroom.

At this point, are the options to just pay for transfer points from any resort or search for an already booked reservation? They couldn't get into SAB if they are at another resort though, right?

As previously noted, if you book a dedicated 2BR you cannot drop down to a 1BR.
If you book a lock off, you "might" be able to drop down to a 1BR--but mixed results have been reported and I would not count on being able to do it.

If you book a 1 BR and a studio separately as an insurance policy, you will end up using more points. (I have not heard of anyone being able to combine the 2 for fewer points-but, maybe someone will chime in on that). My experience has been room assignments close together even if it wasn't requested, but you cannot count on that (even if you requested it).

I think the best course of action for this visit if you want to stay in the same resort is to get a cash reservation for your parents. As mentioned above--if you make it through member services you may be able to get a discount on the cash room.

In the meantime, you might be able to get a BCV points transfer and put in a WL for the 2BR. (if the WL comes through you could cancel the cash reservation). In order of usage, I like to use banked/borrowed points first and then transferred points--If they are BCV points you could have member services apply them to your existing reservation (they would only do this if they are BCV transferred points if you made the BCV reservation at 7+ months).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter