Skagway Train Excursion Help Needed

Mcert01

Mouseketeer
Hi,

We have been looking at the White Pass train excursion out of Skagway. There are 2 options. One is 2.75 hours and is the train only. The other is 3.5 hours and also includes a bus as well, stopping at a few more places. It’s also $40 more per person.

My question is whether or not the 3.5 hour tour is worth the additional time and money.

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

We have been looking at the White Pass train excursion out of Skagway. There are 2 options. One is 2.75 hours and is the train only. The other is 3.5 hours and also includes a bus as well, stopping at a few more places. It’s also $40 more per person.

My question is whether or not the 3.5 hour tour is worth the additional time and money.

Thanks for your help!
That's the one we took. Bus up and train down. Stopping on the bus several places to see interesting views.

We did this excursion with a private vendor, train up, van down. Our cruise was in early May, so we were the only ones in the van on the way down, which may not be everyone's experience, but it would have held only 10 people. We stopped several times for views and pictures, including at the "Welcome to Alaska" sign. Can't do that on the train. You can check Cruise Critic for the Alaska Port of Call board, although I imagine some of the vendors may have gone out of business due to lack of tourists.

We did this excursion with a private vendor, train up, van down. Our cruise was in early May, so we were the only ones in the van on the way down, which may not be everyone's experience, but it would have held only 10 people. We stopped several times for views and pictures, including at the "Welcome to Alaska" sign. Can't do that on the train. You can check Cruise Critic for the Alaska Port of Call board, although I imagine some of the vendors may have gone out of business due to lack of tourists.
Thanks. This one looks like bus up train down, but that's just the description so it might be reversed. Thanks for the info!

Thanks. This one looks like bus up train down, but that's just the description so it might be reversed. Thanks for the info!
We did a similar Yukon excursion through Chilkoot Charters, bus up, train down. Definitely recommend it! Skagway can be foggy in the morning, so views on the train are usually better in the afternoon...also nice to just sit on the train after walking around in the morning bus stops.. Bus stopped at all the popular photo spots (our driver timed it so that we were the only bus there), shopping stop in Caribou Crossing, and lunch/dog cart ride/puppies at Caribou Crossing Trading Post, a couple more photo stops, then our bus had a train car to ourselves for the ride back to Skagway.

Agreed with the train down in the afternoon. Morning fog is frequent and since the train has windows/constant opening of doors, the morning chill will also slow you down.

We drove all the way to Whitehorse (in Yukon) on a rental and took the train back down. The drive up through Yukon is amazing.

Remember, the scenery is the same for the train if you go both ways. Taking the bus gives you a different view. Also, I recommend booking it outside of Disney. You will be on the same train, so no worries about timing.

We did a similar Yukon excursion through Chilkoot Charters, bus up, train down. Definitely recommend it! Skagway can be foggy in the morning, so views on the train are usually better in the afternoon...also nice to just sit on the train after walking around in the morning bus stops.. Bus stopped at all the popular photo spots (our driver timed it so that we were the only bus there), shopping stop in Caribou Crossing, and lunch/dog cart ride/puppies at Caribou Crossing Trading Post, a couple more photo stops, then our bus had a train car to ourselves for the ride back to Skagway.
Hi I've read your trip report and really enjoyed it thankyou!

Can you remember how much it was to add the dog cart ride on please? I looked on the Chilkoot charters website but couldn't see a price.

Thankyou :)

Hi I've read your trip report and really enjoyed it thankyou!

Can you remember how much it was to add the dog cart ride on please? I looked on the Chilkoot charters website but couldn't see a price.

Thankyou :)
Hi, our trip was in 2016, back then you could book that excursion with or without the dog cart ride straight from the website, probably $30/person more to add a 15 min ride. I just checked the websites. Looks like Chilkoot Charters doesn't have it listed as an add on anymore. I went to the Caribou Crossing Trading Post website to see if they're still offering them. It's changed since we did it. Now they use motorized carts (as an assist to the dogs) with the dogs pulling on cool days and it's an ATV ride on hot days with an exclusive meet with the dogs afterwards and trail stories. (It all sounds healthier for the dogs, we were there on a cooler day and the dogs looked so excited to go running, but they still had misters and kiddie pools for the dogs to keep cool.) Looks like $45/person for 15 min, and it may need to be prebooked. You might email/call Chilkoot to see if they're offering it as an add on or find out why they're not. It may be a time issue as well, we spent a long time in line waiting for our turn after eating lunch, we basically had lunch, dog cart ride, some time to hold puppies, and maybe 10 minutes in the shop.

Enjoy your cruise!

A lot of time when you book train/bus combo the order of the trip can vary. With most cruise lines booking the train through them gets you boarding
on the pier in specifically reserved cars. Booking independent may put you in different cars and if it is train-first the train from the pier stops in town
to pick up the independent travelers. If you get the train down you load at the turnaround point in Canada (bring your passport). Generally train waits
up there if people are running late. Highly recommend dyeadavetours if you want small bus only or with a train transfer. Was interesting to sit on
road side of canyon near US/Canada border and watch the train folks try to remove the large boulder blocking the train. It was late getting to the
turnaround point that day.

Hi,

Thanks for your help!
We did this 3rd party shuttle up to emerald lake several stops and train back. Back in town they took us to cemetery and town overlook. Enjoyable day.

We did the train up and back. Since we were in the last car we were able to ride most of the time on outside platform which I enjoyed. That being said if your into trains then you really want to do the Steam Train Excursion to Frasier Meadows, if your into scenery I would recommend the combo trip that includes the bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter