skin care on a budget

williamson_ja

DIS Veteran
So, I've been one of those, just use soap and water for my face sort of people and just used whatever was cheap at the grocery store for moisturizer. Well, lately, my skin has been super flaky and dry. Then, last time I put on my moisturizer, my whole face broke out in a rash. I'm getting older and don't want to look old yet! I'm on a pretty tight budget, but I also can't have my face dry, cracking, and breaking out in rashes every day. I recently lost about $100,000 off of our yearly income. :sad2: So, what do you use that isn't too expensive and works well? I'm looking for cleanser and moisturizer. Thanks!

I buy the CVS products that are right next to the Neutrogena versions. I wait for a CVS brand sale and stock up. They have worked just as well as the neutrogena products

I've been using extra virgin pure coconut oil. I love it. It's not too pricey (a small jar goes a long long long way and a large one lasts me many months). Plus I can use it to cook with as well!

My friend uses it on her hair but it's a bit too heavy for my hair. So I use pure macadamia oil and that works for me too.

I use olay cleanser and moisturizer (fragrance free) for sensitive skin. I use P&G coupons in conjuction with RiteAid or CVS store rewards. Sometimes Olay will have a rebate on their website that I can combine with the store deal. I also use witch hazel as a toner. A bottle cost about $2 and lasts for a couple months for me.

The store brands are just as good as the name brands most of the time. Especially brands like Target and CVS. I also LOVE washing my face with oats. Just use 100% oats, and put less than half a cup into the palm of your hand and make a fist. Then run your fist under some lukewarm tap water to help absorb the oats. The oats will be milky thus moisturizing your skin. Also using extra virgin olive oil as a toner on the driest patches on your face will work wonders! Hope that helps.

Great suggestions so far. Olay was the kind of moisturizer I was using when I broke out in rash, so I probably need to use something else. Keep them coming.

What kind of skin do you normally have? Oily? Dry? T-zone combination?

I tend to have oily skin (although with dry patches here and there during the winter and such), and as another PP said, I use witch hazel as an astrigent. Look in the first aid section at the drugstore for it, not the beauty isle. You'll find it in the beauty isle, but at 4-5 times the cost for the exact same thing as is available in the first aid isle. You sometimes have to really look for it - I know at Target, it tends to be on the bottom shelf somewhere around the band aids.

I also use this moisturizer: http://www.target.com/p/up-up-action-moisturizer-4-oz/-/A-11573876. Even at an age I'd care not to admit, I can be prone to an occasional break out, so this is a good, light lotion for me. But it might not work for you if you skin tends to be dry normally, and you need a heavier lotion...

I tend to have oily skin, so what I'm using probably won't work for you, but I hope someone can help. :)

I use vaseline. Really. I put vaseline over my face, then steam it in with a warm washcloth, then wipe it off with a tissue. I don't know if it gets cheaper than that - well, it does, I know of people who use olive oil or crisco. But I can't bring myself to use crisco and when I used olive oil I thought I smelled like a salad.

Great suggestions so far. Olay was the kind of moisturizer I was using when I broke out in rash, so I probably need to use something else. Keep them coming.

Was the olay specifically for sensitive skin. I can only use the sensitive skin products with any brand. The other types tend to be too heavy and I end up breaking out. I think, but check with your local CVS and RiteAid, they garentee 100% satisfaction or your money back. My friend uses ROC. It's a little pricier than olay. but with coupons and rewards it can be price managable. Rose water is a good toner for dry skin and you can make it yourself. Our local supermarket sells rose petals and if they are brown on the edges you can get an additional discount.

I was not using the Olay for sensitive skin. Could be part of the problem. Also, we don't have a CVS or RiteAid anywhere near here (3 hours away is the closest- I looked it up). We do have Walmart or Walgreens. No Target. :goodvibes

I use Corn Husker's lotion as a moisturizer - it doesn't take much and it is non-greasy and soaks in well. A bottle lasts me a long time and it only costs about $7. I use Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser to wash my face (and the rest of me too). Costco has it in a two bottle pack and it lasts a long time. Doesn't need much rinsing which is why I like it.

I've been using extra virgin pure coconut oil. I love it. It's not too pricey (a small jar goes a long long long way and a large one lasts me many months). Plus I can use it to cook with as well!

My friend uses it on her hair but it's a bit too heavy for my hair. So I use pure macadamia oil and that works for me too.

They have the coconut oil at Trader Joes for about $6 but last time I went it was sold out

I use vaseline. Really. I put vaseline over my face, then steam it in with a warm washcloth, then wipe it off with a tissue. I don't know if it gets cheaper than that - well, it does, I know of people who use olive oil or crisco. But I can't bring myself to use crisco and when I used olive oil I thought I smelled like a salad.

I use both coconut oil and vaseline depending on the day. Both are cheap. I live outside Denver and it's extremely dry here and these keep my skin well-hydrated. I also use coconut oil on my hair. I put it on at night before I go to bed and my hair is very smooth when I wake up :thumbsup2

I have to say I heard how good coconut oil was for the skin so I did pick it up and tried it. my face broke out with pimples, which was a bit embarrassing as i'm older. I waited for that to clear up and tried again with the same results.
I use Hope in a Jar. its not cheap but it lasts for ever and is awesome for my 'elderly' skin. it also made oprahs list of 10 best things one year. its by philosophy and you can order it online (I often get emails for discounts) or you can buy it in stores like Sephora and some of the department stores.
just a thought. good luck with what ever you decide on.

For washing my face I use the plain Dove Bar or Purpose Bar soap. Both very inexpensive. I use the Oil of Olay version from Trader Joes for about $4.

When my skin started being really flaky, I finally realized it was eczema. I found out one remedy was washing my face with generic dandruff shampoo. It worked wonders and actually feels very gentle on the face skin. The flakes disappeared!

I know it sounds crazy, but oil can be good for cleansing as well:

http://wellnessmama.com/7569/oil-cleansing-for-naturally-perfect-skin/

Killing two birds with one stone!

Note that the poster above used coconut oil, but it's not necessarily the best one, especially to start out with. No matter what you're using, it can take a week or so for your skin to adjust.

Yep, I clean with oil too!

I used to break out all the time. Hormonal acne well beyond the teenage years. But using coconut oil has cleared my skin right up. Before, the dermatologist used to tell me to AVOID oil containing products yet I still had acne prone skin. Now I smear oil all over my face multiples times a day and my skin rarely breaks out :confused3

I agree with this poster that there is an adjustment period and that can really vary from person-to-person. Here is the oil I use on my face & hair and also cook with:
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/pure-coconut-oil.htm
I buy the 1-gallon container and it last a year or more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter