Skipper Canteen or Steakhouse 71?

TheMick424

DIS Veteran
Thinking ahead for ADRs for an upcoming trip with a goal of trying new places. Debating between Skipper Canteen or Steakhouse 71. I understand it isn't exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, but for those of you who have eaten at both, which did you prefer (and why)? TIA!

Skipper is fine. But I more judge it as "best of the worst" when thinking about MK in park dining.

Any Table Service at the monorail resorts would get the nod over Skipper for me.

But Steakhouse 71 in particular is great and also not the most expensive choice you could pick(bonus) at the monorail resorts, so I'd say definitely do Steakhouse 71 if you can.

Last edited:
We have only eaten at Skipper and it was okay. If you want a meal without leaving the park I would eat there. If you like steak I would probably take the time to walk over to the Contemporary.

Thinking ahead for ADRs for an upcoming trip with a goal of trying new places. Debating between Skipper Canteen or Steakhouse 71. I understand it isn't exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, but for those of you who have eaten at both, which did you prefer (and why)? TIA!

I would do Steakhouse over Skippers. Skippers used to be our MK go-to, but I'm not thrilled with the current menu. Steakhouse 71 was definitely more of a dining experience - really nice menu and great service. If you don't want to leave the park, Skippers is fine. If you want a better meal, go to Steakhouse.

Skipper is probably the best TS restaurant in MK. If you are done for the day, then Steakhouse 71 would be a good choice. It still is a lot of time to leave and re enter the park, even though Steakhouse 71 is close by.

I've not done Skipper but I did Steakhouse 71 2X last week, once solo and once with my brother. Excellent both times, and my brother also enjoyed his meal and experience. Would definitely do again!

I guess I’ll offer the unpopular opinion here. Skipper Canteen is one of our go-tos. I always get the hardy har char siu pork, and it’s absolutely delicious. We just got back from an 11-day trip with tons of on-property meals, and my fiancé said that pork was his best meal of the whole trip. We also went to Steakhouse 71 to try that famous burger, and we were underwhelmed. Don’t get me wrong, it was good, but we didn’t jump on the “best burger on property” train. We both agreed that we’re still partial to the bison burger at Geyser Point. And for our sides, my fiancé wasn’t a fan of the Parmesan fries (but he likes chewy fries over crunchy so that’s why), and the wedge salad I got was the first time I’ve actually disliked a Disney food. IMO the dressing was inedible. I got the French onion soup as an appetizer, though, and that was fantastic! So as with all things, I think it depends on your tastes and what you order. We didn’t dislike S71 and definitely want to go for dinner to try the steak, but Disney has great steaks elsewhere so that makes it less of a priority. Skipper Canteen has a more unique menu.

I have done Skipper Canteen and it was just so so. If you're looking for different types of meals (but not alot of variety) then Skipper's it is. Personally i'll take the Steak House any day.

We love both. As you said it's definitely not an apples to apples comparison. What kind of food are you wanting? They offer very different types of things. I think the quality of the food is a wash - we've enjoyed almost everything we've had at both places, so it's just a matter of what you are looking for.

Do you want to take the time to leave the park and walk to the Contemporary? Yes, it's close by but it's not nearly as convenient as just strolling over to Adventureland, unless you plan on going after you're done for the day at MK.

Atmosphere definitely goes to Skipper Canteen, though the last time we were there the servers had mostly abandoned the fun puns and such which was disappointing. They appeared to be understaffed and I don't think they really had to the time to bother with it, but I hope that changes in the future and goes back to the old, fun schtick. Still, we adore the look and feel of that restaurant. Every time we go, we notice more fun details. Service has been hit or miss at both places for us, but sadly that seems to be the case with most WDW restaurants these days.

You can't go wrong at either place.

We love both. As you said it's definitely not an apples to apples comparison. What kind of food are you wanting? They offer very different types of things. I think the quality of the food is a wash - we've enjoyed almost everything we've had at both places, so it's just a matter of what you are looking for.

Do you want to take the time to leave the park and walk to the Contemporary? Yes, it's close by but it's not nearly as convenient as just strolling over to Adventureland, unless you plan on going after you're done for the day at MK.

Atmosphere definitely goes to Skipper Canteen, though the last time we were there the servers had mostly abandoned the fun puns and such which was disappointing. They appeared to be understaffed and I don't think they really had to the time to bother with it, but I hope that changes in the future and goes back to the old, fun schtick. Still, we adore the look and feel of that restaurant. Every time we go, we notice more fun details. Service has been hit or miss at both places for us, but sadly that seems to be the case with most WDW restaurants these days.

You can't go wrong at either place.
I enjoyed Skippers it was nice to have a unique menu and especially nice to enjoy a cold brew while in MK. I totally agree that the servers make the experience worthwhile by itself. I hope that element comes back.

For me it’s difficult to compare Skippers with a steak place. Completely different experience in my mind. I haven’t tried 71 yet but hope to soon.

Anyone had luck asking to order a burger during the dinner period at Steakhouse 71? I know they offer it in the lounge but was hoping they would serve it in the dining room as well.

I guess I’ll offer the unpopular opinion here. Skipper Canteen is one of our go-tos. I always get the hardy har char siu pork, and it’s absolutely delicious. We just got back from an 11-day trip with tons of on-property meals, and my fiancé said that pork was his best meal of the whole trip. We also went to Steakhouse 71 to try that famous burger, and we were underwhelmed. Don’t get me wrong, it was good, but we didn’t jump on the “best burger on property” train. We both agreed that we’re still partial to the bison burger at Geyser Point. And for our sides, my fiancé wasn’t a fan of the Parmesan fries (but he likes chewy fries over crunchy so that’s why), and the wedge salad I got was the first time I’ve actually disliked a Disney food. IMO the dressing was inedible. I got the French onion soup as an appetizer, though, and that was fantastic! So as with all things, I think it depends on your tastes and what you order. We didn’t dislike S71 and definitely want to go for dinner to try the steak, but Disney has great steaks elsewhere so that makes it less of a priority. Skipper Canteen has a more unique menu.

Food is such a subjective thing! This is a good example for not succumbing to the hype. I watched a video recently where someone claimed that the wedge salad was the best thing on the menu! Go figure.
On a recent trip we waited in a long line to try those cheeseburger spring rolls … we were unimpressed … they were okay but not worth a long wait!
Check out the menus and the reviews and follow your gut (no pun intended). You might be disappointed… but you might be thrilled.

Anyone had luck asking to order a burger during the dinner period at Steakhouse 71? I know they offer it in the lounge but was hoping they would serve it in the dining room as well.

I am a CM at Steakhouse 71! We serve the burger in the bar all during dinner, so technically, if you ask, you'll almost always get a yes!! I see multiple people order it for dinner every night!
Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter