• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Skipping fireworks/night shows

ceejayzvan

Earning My Ears
We are visiting for the the first week of July 2020 and will only have one day in each park. Which fireworks/night shows are okay to skip so we can squeeze in more rides? The only must-do for us is probably Happily Ever After. Thanks!

If rides are your priority, you can skip them all, including HEA.

Rivers of Light at AK, for sure can be skipped (worst nighttime show ever, imo).
At DHS you'll get the most value out of skipping the shows (Fantasmic! and the Star Wars fireworks) and opting for rides.
Epcot will have its new show by the time you go, so crowds will be large for that - skipping it in lieu of rides should get you some sort wait times.

Steve

We skip all of them in lieu of more ride time, even HEA. Plus, it's so fun to ride while watching fireworks go off. ;) For some people, the nighttime shows are essential, but for us, riding over and over again after dark is as magical as it gets.
Our next trip is a short three days and we are doing *maybe* one night show on arrival day (depending on how much energy we have - long flight).

I LOVE the nightime shows (even RoL, though admittedly the others are all better) but I have started to learn that hitting rope drop in the AM and making it to these nighttime shows -- esp in summer, because it gets dark so late, is really tough to do.

I’d personally skip ROL and Fantasmic. HEA is a must do, followed by Star Wars at HS, then Epcot. Enjoy!

I skip Fantasmic! always, I have seen the Star Wars, so I am cool on that, and I saw RoL once, and I am fine......but if I am at Disney, I am probably watching HEA or at Epcot :)

The only must-do for us is probably Happily Ever After.

I think you just answered your own question. Its going to differ from person to person but a Disney trip is not a competition. My mother in law LOVES Rivers if Light...like, WILL. NOT. MISS. IT. To me, it's an absolute waste of time. Sometimes we do Fantasmic, sometimes we do Star Wars, sometimes we don't do either.

Pick a plan that works for you and have fun...

If rides are your priority, you can skip them all, including HEA.

Rivers of Light at AK, for sure can be skipped (worst nighttime show ever, imo).
At DHS you'll get the most value out of skipping the shows (Fantasmic! and the Star Wars fireworks) and opting for rides.
Epcot will have its new show by the time you go, so crowds will be large for that - skipping it in lieu of rides should get you some sort wait times.

Steve
See, in my household, ROL is a can't miss. My kids love it, my mother does too. I think part of it is that the kids seem a little sensitive to loud fireworks. 9 months (hasn't been yet)., 3y,8y

We're doing ROL and Star Wars this time around. Haven't done star wars before. Last trip we saw Illuminations and ROL, we got spill over of HEA (we saw the fireworks from outside BOG. We have always skipped Fantasia, not going to be good for my kids at this age. The Epcot show could be good, but we're burning the candle at both ends a lot and its just not worth staying in the parks that late with the youngins every nite. We also do Hoopdee doo review 1 night so that is another later night.

long winded, but the point is, maybe pick 1 or so if it interests you and keep on trucking if you/your kids are older and don't care as much.

My opinion:

1. Rivers of Light. We are not fans of this show. We saw it on our 2nd to last trip and were extremely disappointed. We feel that show is a waste of such a beautiful venue. Skip IMO.

2. Epcot. I have not seen Epcot Forever, so I cannot speak to that one unfortunately.

3. Hollywood Studios. You really have 2 to choose from here, in Fantasmic and Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular. I thought the SWAGS was fine. We aren't massive Star Wars fans, but the rest of the show (to us) isn't anything to write home about. As for Fantasmic...again...a pretty big letdown for us. Our home park is Disneyland and its Fantasmic is, in our opinion, light years better. It's a can't-miss show and very different, unfortunately, we don't feel that way about the HS version.

4. Happily Ever After. I couldn't agree with you more here. This is, by far, our favorite WDW nighttime show, and is effectively tied for my favorite overall with World of Color at Disneyland.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for everyone’s thoughts! Will most likely skip ROL but who knows if kids will overrule me when we’re there.

FWIW Rivers of Light and the Epcot show typically close down their respective parks, meaning the show starts right at closing. DHS sometimes operates a show this way as well. This reduces the benefit of skipping the show, particularly at AK and Epcot where you can get a good enough viewing location 2 minutes before the show starts.

We almost always skip all of it to be able to ride more. Lines are shorter so if you time it right you can ride while they are going off. Nothing like riding Dumbo or Big Thunder or Astro Orbiter while fireworks are going off.

It does come to what is more important the shows or rides.
I really enjoy HEA.
RoL I can skip and not feel bad at all.
Not a big fan of EPCOT Forever. No idea about the new show. Will have big crowds the first year.
Enjoy Fantasmic, but only see it every few years.
If the parks are open when the show is going on, you can get a few rides in while people are waiting for it to start and have ahead start after the show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter