Sleeping (re)arrangements- 2 rms

reveilleba

Earning My Ears
I'm pricing out options for taking my mom on an Alaskan cruise for her 80th... looking at sailing on the Brilliance of the Seas. We will need 2 staterooms to accommodate my family of 4 plus my mom. We'd like to do one balcony and one interior. I've priced a bunch of configurations, and I can save a decent amount by putting my husband and I in an interior room and my mom plus our 10 and 12 year old in a balcony across the hall.

How would they arrange the beds in a balcony room with one adult and two kids? Would they expect that one child sleeps with the adult in the big bed, or would they have both the upper and lower berths pulled out for the kids? (I assume that's how the kids' beds work-- we've only sailed Disney before and the RCCL site is a little unclear on room details.) IF that were the case and both kids had their own beds... then theoretically some nights we could swap and my husband and I stay with the kids while my mom has our room to herself....... maybe?? I'm sure there are issues here we're not anticipating, so throw them at me. Not trying to cheat any systems... just wanting a backup plan if grandma needs some quiet! But if one child would be expected to sleep with my mom... then we pay the extra $500 to put her in the interior by herself!

Thanks!

Most RCCL rooms that sleep 4 expect that 2 of those people are sharing the couch that converts into a bed. Only rooms that sleep 5 have the pull down and the convertible couch or one of the family rooms that sleeps up to 6 has 2 pull down beds and a convertible couch.

With the change in room service is now only once a day, they often leave the bed out during the day, so it might not be easy to switch where the kids are sleeping every night. It is also possible that you may have different attendants for the two rooms. My family usually books two rooms next to each other and we frequently have had different attendants.

Putting your mom in a room by herself will cost more and not every room is eligible to be a single room. I'm dealing with this now for an upcoming cruise where someone no longer is going. I highly recommend using a travel agent to price out the options and best way to accommodate your family.

I'm pricing out options for taking my mom on an Alaskan cruise for her 80th... looking at sailing on the Brilliance of the Seas. We will need 2 staterooms to accommodate my family of 4 plus my mom. We'd like to do one balcony and one interior. I've priced a bunch of configurations, and I can save a decent amount by putting my husband and I in an interior room and my mom plus our 10 and 12 year old in a balcony across the hall.

How would they arrange the beds in a balcony room with one adult and two kids? Would they expect that one child sleeps with the adult in the big bed, or would they have both the upper and lower berths pulled out for the kids? (I assume that's how the kids' beds work-- we've only sailed Disney before and the RCCL site is a little unclear on room details.) IF that were the case and both kids had their own beds... then theoretically some nights we could swap and my husband and I stay with the kids while my mom has our room to herself....... maybe?? I'm sure there are issues here we're not anticipating, so throw them at me. Not trying to cheat any systems... just wanting a backup plan if grandma needs some quiet! But if one child would be expected to sleep with my mom... then we pay the extra $500 to put her in the interior by herself!

Thanks!
I can tell you that Royal Caribbean's "big bed" is actually twin beds pushed together. You can request that they be separated.

I think it will depend on the ship and the specific cabin, all of that can be researched.

We dig deep to find out the specifics in our cabins.

We've had 2 (did not sleep together), 3 and 5 people.

We have had them split the bed into two beds, just a narrow aisle between them.

We have had a "sofa" that converted to a single bed, no way to add another human.

We have had a "sofa" that converted to a wider single bed, but again would be tough to share.

We have had a "sofa" that converted into a single bed BUT had a trundle bed under that pulled out.

While we have had rooms with bunks in the ceiling, we never used them.

With the change in room service is now only once a day, they often leave the bed out during the day, so it might not be easy to switch where the kids are sleeping every night.
Have you had this happen to you? Based on what I've been reading (on the internet, so it must be true), it seems the majority will get a 2nd visit from the steward to put up/take down the bed (depending on whether your "main" service is morning or evening.

It's worth asking the steward about on Day 1.

With the change in room service is now only once a day, they often leave the bed out during the day, so it might not be easy to switch where the kids are sleeping every night. It is also possible that you may have different attendants for the two rooms. My family usually books two rooms next to each other and we frequently have had different attendants.
Have you had this happen to you? Based on what I've been reading (on the internet, so it must be true), it seems the majority will get a 2nd visit from the steward to put up/take down the bed (depending on whether your "main" service is morning or evening.

It's worth asking the steward about on Day 1.

Like Sam, I’m very curious too as I’m going on RCCL for spring break!

Mixed online reviews, but I did tweet (X) Royal and that representative did say they will come in and turn down the sofa bed in the evening. Now, you can take that for what it’s worth, kind of like asking a Reservation CM at Disney.

I think it’s ridiculous if they don’t. Fingers crossed I won’t have issue on my cruise with it.

And OP, have it set up as 2 single beds instead of a king for the main bed. I went with my mom years ago, and it worked beautifully. The other kid will have the sofa bed. 😊

Cabins for 3 don’t necessarily sleep 4, on NCL there is a couch for one and either 2 singles or 1 queen. You can switch people around and get extra keys from guest services, no issue, so grandma can sleep alone even if it says 3 in her cabin. The issue is there most likely won’t be beds for 4 in the balcony.

Cabins for 3 don’t necessarily sleep 4, on NCL there is a couch for one and either 2 singles or 1 queen. You can switch people around and get extra keys from guest services, no issue, so grandma can sleep alone even if it says 3 in her cabin. The issue is there most likely won’t be beds for 4 in the balcony.
You are correct, not all cabins that accommodate 3 will accommodate 4.

Royal has rooms for 3 and 4 that are balconies. It is easy to tell on their website. ^ is 3 person, * is 4 person.

For 4 people, the options are full size sofa bed, sofa bed with trundle, or pullman bed.

ETA:

I just looked up Brilliance of the Seas, the ship OP was considering. There are balcony options that can even accommodate 5. She should be able to find a stateroom balcony for 4. Looks like a double sofa bed, and if the kids didn't want to share same bed, get a room for 5 with a pullman.

Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 2.54.28 PM.png

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter