Slinky Dog’s Tail has been Docked/Cropped! (Update Fixed 2/27)

Thats why it should be Andys Lunch Box.

They could have put in a 1:32 or 1:64 scale Al's Toy Barn replica that Andy bought as a toy and it would have made just as much sense as Woody having his own lunch box.

It’s not Woodys lunch box it’s Andy’s Woody themed lunchbox.

I agree but I am more referring to the wear and tear which mine train really didn't have a lot of like this and especially so quickly. The issues you mentioned are not wear and tear type issues.

It's interesting though.... How? Why? I am not disputing it, I am just wondering why it is? I don't hold with some of the statements on here that it was done "cheaper". I mean, yes - in some places like the fencing, themeing, etc. they did use plastic over better materials. That was obviously a mistake.

However, in the case of Slinky himself and/or painting, the only thing I can surmise is that the paint is flaking due to either a change in the formulation of the paint or improper preparation of the undercoat prior to the paint being applied. These are not usually due to "rushing him out the door" as the coaster itself was in no rush to get to the track - he spent a while in the build shop as it were and about average time for a unit his size. In addition, I don't think he was built by Disney, but rather by a sub who probably didn't consult Disney on the exact formulation that was used other than approved colors.

I mean again I am drawn back to other engineering issues. Like for example my car - which had a severe recall due to paint rubbing off after a year or two. Did Honda use "cheaper" paint? Nope. They did use a different formula for their coloration (which is in no way cheaper, and sometimes may even be more expensive). Sometimes you-know-what just happens. The only thing that can be done to prevent it would be to paint the materials and leave them outside in a test for several years, and that's obviously not practical.

But to be completely honest, I have not done a chemical analysis of Slinky's Paint and/or his carriage to determine why the paint didn't bond to the surface. Nor would I be qualified to perform such tests. So I can't say it is or isn't due to any particular issue. I just find it interesting how our perception immediately leads to blaming a particular aspect ("must be the budget cuts, those cheap SOB's!") without any empirical proof.

Man, people complain about the most inconsequential stuff EVER. I swear.

Ok, I have GOT to ask. What exactly, at Disney, is consequential enough for you to think someone should complain?? Because honestly, on this board, I am beginning to think there is NOTHING Disney could do that some of you would think is complaint worthy.

Now, I don't care if the dog has his tail. I really don't. And I wouldn't start a boycott over a dog's tail. Its not the dog's tail or the peeling paint or the viewfinder thingy not working--its all of it together looking like Disney is doing shoddy work or taking the cheap road or something. That's a lot of issues for a section of a park that has only been open 7 months or so.

The PP finds it interesting that for many it immediately is "they are cheap. its budget cuts" or whatever. And I don't disagree with the poster; because maybe that's not it. But in turn, I find it interesting that I am honestly not sure what Disney would have to do for some of you to place blame their way.

Ok, I have GOT to ask. What exactly, at Disney, is consequential enough for you to think someone should complain?? Because honestly, on this board, I am beginning to think there is NOTHING Disney could do that some of you would think is complaint worthy.

Now, I don't care if the dog has his tail. I really don't. And I wouldn't start a boycott over a dog's tail. Its not the dog's tail or the peeling paint or the viewfinder thingy not working--its all of it together looking like Disney is doing shoddy work or taking the cheap road or something. That's a lot of issues for a section of a park that has only been open 7 months or so.

The PP finds it interesting that for many it immediately is "they are cheap. its budget cuts" or whatever. And I don't disagree with the poster; because maybe that's not it. But in turn, I find it interesting that I am honestly not sure what Disney would have to do for some of you to place blame their way.
The point is, there's a middle road.
And you are right, for some here, it's either all bad or all good.
I mean, you've got one faction that posts here that complains and complains about having no new rides, or that HS is a shell of itself. Disney finally puts in some rides and they still can't find anything to be happy about with them. All they can do is tear apart the land about how cheap it is or how bad the rides are or how hot it is or how bad the food is, or all of the above. Geeze, you gotta see how that gets old. Sometimes they do some things right, even if it is not up to some standard some deem it should be. Adding new rides is never, ever a negative.
Now, at the same time, there are some who will always stand behind everything. And that's not right either. Disney makes mistakes, plenty of them. They are far from perfect.

I have plenty of issues with the way things are currently run. I just choose not to come on the internet and be "SO disappointed" that my free Magic Band can't be X color, or "insulted" that the fake prop in the line isn't an interactive rainbow shooting unicorn confetti everywhere.

I have plenty of issues with the way things are currently run. I just choose not to come on the internet and be "SO disappointed" that my free Magic Band can't be X color, or "insulted" that the fake prop in the line isn't an interactive rainbow shooting unicorn confetti everywhere.

Well, that is taking things a bit extreme.

The magic band is something that shouldn't be complained about, that I agree.

The other, no one said anything about rainbow shooting unicorns. what they did say was simply pointing out some things that look cheaply made and are already starting to show wear and tear. I think that is a legitimate concern with the amount of money one is paying to get in to said park AND it can raise some concerns about the quality of the ride too.

Disney makes a LOT of money. When things mess up, they should be able to fix it. They used to. It just shows lack of Disney quality, imo.

Well, that is taking things a bit extreme.

The magic band is something that shouldn't be complained about, that I agree.

The other, no one said anything about rainbow shooting unicorns. what they did say was simply pointing out some things that look cheaply made and are already starting to show wear and tear. I think that is a legitimate concern with the amount of money one is paying to get in to said park AND it can raise some concerns about the quality of the ride too.

Disney makes a LOT of money. When things mess up, they should be able to fix it. They used to. It just shows lack of Disney quality, imo.

And that's where I am taking a wait and see attitude.
I don't blame Disney that there is paint flaking. As I put in my other post, there are a MULTITUDE of reasons that could be happening.

My question is:
* how long is slink without his tail? Are they working earnestly to make a fix?
* how long will paint be flaking? Are they working earnestly to fix it (given the large number of ongoing projects they have right now)?

If they ARE, and it's just something that takes a little bit of time, then that's reasonable in my opinion.

If however they leave the land falling apart and slinky without his tail because they are completely focused on all the other construction projects and TSL be darned, then they are over-stretching themselves and need to re-evaluate if they are competing against themselves to deliver a magical experience like they used to or competing against six-flags to just be "better than most" which traditionally has many cosmetic type issues.

Thats why it should be Andys Lunch Box.

They could have put in a 1:32 or 1:64 scale Al's Toy Barn replica that Andy bought as a toy and it would have made just as much sense as Woody having his own lunch box.

Looks like there may have been a plan for an Al's after all but it didn't make it out of early design.

toy-story-land-LAND0218.jpg

Disney may resort to anchoring the tip of Slinky’s tail.

At DL Paris, Slinky’s tail tip is curled around and attached to his rear...like a Shiba Inu. :-)

I noticed that! The Slinky there looks like he should have a springy tail and floppy ears, but once you get up close you can see that everything is very much fastened down. I hadn't seen video of the Slinky in DHS so I'm honestly surprised to learn that the tails are springy. Scaled up to that size, I would expect the motion of the tail to exert significant force on the back end of the train. I guess the tails aren't very long, though, and perhaps the size and weight of the train is enough that it's not a significant amount of force (though maybe significant enough on the fastenings that they had to re-anchor them differently?). I'm not an engineer by any means; it just strikes me as a design choice that, while cool, had the potential to create issues from the start.

Hilarious!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter