Slinky Dog - ok for a ride wimp who can't do Big Thunder Mountain? UPDATE POSTED 9PM

I’m also a ride wimp. That said I can do mine train and big thunder. If you can’t I’d stay away from sdd. To me it was way more intense than I expected and I said when I got off that I don’t think I’d ever ride it again.

UPDATE 8/28 - 8:50 PM

Hi all,
Thanks for all the good advice and encouragement! It is greatly appreciated! :flower3:

It stared raining/thundering/lightning at 2PM till about 6:45PM Most outdoor rides in MK and HS were closed due to the weather. Then at 6:45 slinky was open according to my lines app but at that point DH looked at his weather app & it said rain till 9pm. He didn't want to bus over to HS only for the ride to be down again. We fly home tomorrow and have to catch magical express at 7AM so we had dinner in our hotel & finished packing.

DH was like "you had to get a fastpass at 8pm on our last night" - ummm that was the only fastpass available even though I signed on the second the window opened at the 60 day mark!

My kids were teasing me that I did a rain dance to avoid going on Slinky! :P

This reminds me of Frozen Ever After - I used to only be able to get a fastpass our last night & every time it was down and we would say - ok on the to do list for next trip!

Thanks again , time to watch my favorite show here ,
image.jpg
Night all, Marina :-)

I do not do roller coasters of any kind. I screamed my head off (I still not have seem my DH video of me) on Thunder Mountain.
I did do Splash Mountain with my DD telling me when in the dark there was a slight up-down and on the water hill - I held my breath for 10 seconds, ducked my head down and landed safely at the bottom. The picture of my family is their prize - a log tube with everyone's hands up in the air with smiles and me, hiding in my seat. :rotfl2:

I say skip all roller coasters - just my FYI.
I am happy to hold all camera's, bags, .....

Those of you who might have been at Big Thunder Railroad at WDW during our trip last year, I deeply apologize for my behavior. I kinda well, wigged out, might be the best response... I couldn't stop screaming hysterically and I had a panic attack and I gave myself the hiccups even... if it hadn't been raining, I think a lot more people would have noticed the sobbing and tears soaking my face and shirt.

I only manage on Splash Mtn because there are cute little singing animals and a great song to coach me along for the entire ride before the last bit.

I do NOT do rollercoasters, nuh-uh, no way, noooooooooooooo thank you!

Hi all,

Here now and we have a fastpass for SDD tonight.

I'm a horrible ride wimp. I did 7DMT and hated it. Too intense for me. I did the Barnstormer the first time this trip, did not like it either, felt very intense at parts to me. My kids and DH went on Big Thunder for the first time this trip and afterwards my husband said that I would have had a heart attack on Big Thunder. I wouldn't want to go on a ride with anything as intense as Big Thunder Mountain or more intense than 7DMT.

So if I can barely tolerate the Barnstormer, and 7DMT is too much for me and Big Thunder is WAY too much for me - would SLinky Dog be too much as well?

I've heard others compare the SDD intensity comparable to Big Thunder - which is way out of my league...I'm getting nervous about tonight.

If I wimp out (do they have rider switch off that my DH could take our one kid and then use my band to do another kid), it's just the 4 of us.

I hate to let the kids down - but I wanted some honest opinions. I could do barnstormer again but not 7DMT, and no way Big Thunder Mountain.

I'm curious about the SDD intensity levels comparison.

I have a friend who said if I can handle barnstormer, I can handle SDD,

But I would not want to get on the ride with an intensity of Big a Thunder Mountsin or something more intense than 7DMT

Thanks as always for any feedback. Your friendly neighborhood ride wimp, Marina

PS - will update tonight either way
I have enjoyed reading your post and all the responses and I know you already posted your update but we were just there last week so I asked my 15 and 17 year old their opinions on this and they said NO way you should go on SDD (in their opinion) if you can’t handle 7DMT (it’s the slowest roller coaster in the world, again, in their opinion lol)

UPDATE 8/28 - 8:50 PM

Hi all,
Thanks for all the good advice and encouragement! It is greatly appreciated! :flower3:

It stared raining/thundering/lightning at 2PM till about 6:45PM Most outdoor rides in MK and HS were closed due to the weather. Then at 6:45 slinky was open according to my lines app but at that point DH looked at his weather app & it said rain till 9pm. He didn't want to bus over to HS only for the ride to be down again. We fly home tomorrow and have to catch magical express at 7AM so we had dinner in our hotel & finished packing.

DH was like "you had to get a fastpass at 8pm on our last night" - ummm that was the only fastpass available even though I signed on the second the window opened at the 60 day mark!

My kids were teasing me that I did a rain dance to avoid going on Slinky! :P

This reminds me of Frozen Ever After - I used to only be able to get a fastpass our last night & every time it was down and we would say - ok on the to do list for next trip!

Thanks again , time to watch my favorite show here ,
View attachment 346789
Night all, Marina :-)
Marina, hope you had a great trip!:thumbsup2
I am building the "courage" to try SDD..have a FP for our October trip..not a "rollercoaster gal", but this looks too cute to pass up..So cute!:cheer2:At Universal, I was hesitant to try Griggots a few years ago...I was SO HAPPY I did..loved it...hope that I love Slinky too!:wave:

i too am worried about sdd. i can just about do 7dmt and btmr but just once then done. i am concerned about my upcoming trip because out of my 3 kids i'm now down to one on this trip because other two can't join. he's 15 and it doesn't sound like fun to go on all these rides alone without a buddy. so i will suck it up for him maybe with the exception of ee, tot and rnrc which he's not huge fan of anyway the last two. but i'm just going to close my eyes and be very scared and sick. ok. worse things i guess....!

I don’t ride any coasters except BTMRR, so I was VERY nervous about trying SDD. I had a FP the day before for AS2, and I stood there looking at SDD thinking there was no way I could do it. I too was hoping for a rain closure, but we weren’t that lucky. But I did manage to ride it. I did not love the ride, and did have my eyes closed for the two largest drops, but if I were going with a group who wanted to ride, I would ride it again. I probably wouldn’t put it in my solo trip ride rotation though. I am just mot a big coaster fan.

I can’t compare it to 7DMT as the restraints and I don’t get along on that ride, so I have never ridden it. It is a lot smoother than BTMRR, but that can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how you feel about coasters in general. I didn’t mind the tight turns or the rolling hills, but did not like the drops (in my ride photo, I look like I’ve just bit into a bitter lemon :crazy2:).

Are the SDD drops bigger than Everest? I can do all the MK coasters as well as RRC (I’m fine with speed and loops) but I dislike large drops so I typically skip Splash Mountain and (obviously) Tower of Terror. Everest is probably just past my comfort level. I’ve done it but was very relieved when my daughter chickened out just before getting on during our last trip and I happily volunteered to leave with her

FWIW, the monorail is by far the scariest ride currently in operation. I've ridden all the coasters dozens of times, but only on the monorail has an access panel popped open over my head and fell 6 inches from knocking me out cold (or at least giving me a nice little crack), saved only by a wire of some sort that held it up. So if there's any ride to be afraid of at all, there's the real fear factor.

Are the SDD drops bigger than Everest? I can do all the MK coasters as well as RRC (I’m fine with speed and loops) but I dislike large drops so I typically skip Splash Mountain and (obviously) Tower of Terror. Everest is probably just past my comfort level. I’ve done it but was very relieved when my daughter chickened out just before getting on during our last trip and I happily volunteered to leave with her

That is my question too - my kids are older (and taller) so more rides are options, but need to figure out which ones will be too much motion sickness wise and such

FWIW, the monorail is by far the scariest ride currently in operation. I've ridden all the coasters dozens of times, but only on the monorail has an access panel popped open over my head and fell 6 inches from knocking me out cold (or at least giving me a nice little crack), saved only by a wire of some sort that held it up. So if there's any ride to be afraid of at all, there's the real fear factor.

Don't forget the nasty smell and hot temperature inside the monorail!!!

We sound like similar riders. I don't like coasters. I ride 7 Dwarfs once each trip just to say I did. Family loves it and rides often. I don't do Big Thunder nor barnstormer. I don't do Everest. I don't do Space Mountain either. In Cali, I don't do Matahorn. But I know where the exits are and love to people watch while waiting for the family to exit the ride.

No, not even remotely the drops on EE are larger. I don’t have an issue with roller coasters, that said I would put SDD probably above Big Thunder by just a hair. Very smooth ride though.

We just got back from our trip and we all have to say, SDD was more intense than we thought it would be! It was tons of fun though!! I think it's along the same line and maybe slightly more intense than 7DMT (and not as intense as BTMR) but my 14 year thinks SDD is way more intense than BTMR.

I think it is less intense than Thunder mountain.

I actually loved this ride. Its actually kind of funny, if a coaster can be funny, it was funny.

This is so interesting reading such different opinions! I'm in the boat where I can do fast rides and one of my favorite rides is Big Thunder. But I hate drops. I go on splash only because one of my DDs loves it. I tolerate 7DMT but I don't like the one drop if in the back row. So Slinky was a big deal for me. I went on it twice last week and the first time I was traumatized (lol) but the second time I did better. In my opinion, it's way more intense than Big Thunder because slinky has a couple drops, but defininately not a drop like Splash. I know (think?) I will grow to love slinky once I have a chance to ride it over and over.

We sound like similar riders. I don't like coasters. I ride 7 Dwarfs once each trip just to say I did. Family loves it and rides often. I don't do Big Thunder nor barnstormer. I don't do Everest. I don't do Space Mountain either. In Cali, I don't do Matahorn. But I know where the exits are and love to people watch while waiting for the family to exit the ride.

Definitely dont ride in a car or an airplane. Those go REALLY fast! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter