• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Slinky for 3 Year-Old?

ofcabbagesandkings

DIS Veteran
My eldest was almost 3 but tall enough to ride on SDMT when it first came out, so we took him on it and he did ok. He loves all rollercoasters now and rode EE last trip. My youngest would be almost 3 if we go back to WDW in Spring 2019 and might be tall enough to ride SDD by then. Has anyone taken a just at the height requirement kid on SDD? Is it comparable to SDMT?

Most of us have said it's a bit more of a thrill than SDMT (closer to a true coaster experience). The only thing I'd add is that it is really smooth, but I don't have any experience with littles that small riding something like that, so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Most of us have said it's a bit more of a thrill than SDMT (closer to a true coaster experience). The only thing I'd add is that it is really smooth, but I don't have any experience with littles that small riding something like that, so hopefully someone else will chime in.
Yes, it's more like a "regular" coaster because at some points you are visibly some distance off the ground, as opposed to having the track follow the terrain as on 7 Dwarfs or Big Thunder. Not TOO big or high, but the first drop/turn is rather steeply banked, and I (and I'm an adult who loves coasters) found the seat on the left side relative to ride motion to be rather intimidating due to the perception that you could fall out the side if not restrained. To avoid this for the child, have the older rider get in first.

I could trick my 3 year into riding 7DMT since you can avoid seeing a lot / much of the ride before hand. No such luck with SDD. Since it’s so visible / such a big ‘presence’ in the land itself (which I think is a good thing, BTW), it provided a lot of time for DD to see it / think about it, and say ‘no way!” :-)

Thanks for the responses! I watched a ride video and I think it might be too much. If we end up going on this trip then we will do a MK Day first so I can see how he responds to Barnstormer and SDD. I just wish there were more rides for littles at HS.

My son is three and I let him watch the ride videos on YouTube and he is dead set that he is riding it. He might like it and he might not, but someone will be there with him if he gets scared and it isn't too long of a ride. My opinion is to let them try it if they want to and if they don't like it they don't have to do it again.

I was very surprised that Slinky Dog was as fun as it was. I would say it's more like Big Thunder without all the theme built around you. It goes HIGH and you see lots out there to reinforce how high you are. And it goes fast at times where you feel the force on you. The biggest issue for me (and worried about DS) was it banks on it's side alot and without theming around you like 7DMT or BTMR ........... you see down to the ground. That can give me the creeps so I was concerned if DS looked down he'd panic. I tried to keep his focus forward.

It is for sure in a league above 7DMT.

We took our 3.5 year old on it earlier this month (she's just under 39") and she didn't like it. Before riding, we made sure to let her watch it first to see how high it goes and she insisted that she wanted to try it. At the mid-way point where Slinky pulls back, I turned back to look at her (she was riding with DH) and she looked so scared and asked us if it was done. Thankfully, she didn't scream or cry but I think it made her scared of all roller coasters. Now that we are home, we will sometimes talk about the rides and she mentions the ones she likes and wants to go on again but says she doesn't want to ride the "spooky" roller coaster again (aka, Slinky Dog Dash). For reference, she had only been on Barnstormer prior to this and she loved that one (she wasn't tall enough for anything else until this trip).

I agree with others who say it's a notch above 7DMT in terms of intensity.

Our son is 3. He has only been on barnstormer to date, but he fully plans on doing 7DMT and SDD this time around. He is only about 39 inches, but he wants to go so he goes!

I'm really excited to bring my 3-year-old on it. I think he'll love it. (And my 6-year-old, for that matter.) My husband and I rode it when we went on a weekend trip for just the two of us earlier this month. It's really fun. Like others said, it's a notch above Mine Train in intensity, but it's smooth.

But it depends on the kid.

The only ride so far that had made my 3yo hesitate is Haunted Mansion (he says it's scary or spooky, one of those) and all he talks about is being tall enough for Splash Mountain on his next trip (he's almost there... over 39" now... we'll see).

My 6yo (who *just* made it to 44" in December, when she was still 5) was allowed on everything at that height requirement except FOP and has loved it all, except Dinosaur. I regret bringing her on that one. I think Space Mountain made her a little nervous, but she still wanted to ride it again. Yet she loved Everest, which is obviously way more intense. It was the dinosaurs and darkness that got to her.

I think it's the combo of darkness and things popping out/up at you that scares some kids, or even the names of things ("Haunted" Mansion, Dinosaur, etc...). If the parents explain that at Disney nothing and nobody is allowed to grab you or touch you, sometimes that helps. That's one good thing about Slinky, it's all right out in the open where at least you can see all the twists and turns.

And Dinosaur is SO bumpy and jerky and throws you around. Not my favorite even tho the theme is fun.

I have taken my 3 year old on Barnstormer, BTM, and 7D last year he did great. We have been watching videos to bypass the post Disney blues and to prep for our upcoming trip, he keeps telling me he wants to ride SDD. I am willing to put him on it. He has also been watching Splash Mountain and tells me he wants to ride it.... so we will see if he wants to ride it again after this trip. I am still scared of Splash, but he keeps talking about it, and in the past has enjoyed watching it on the bridge. So I am going let him go for it.

My eldest was almost 3 but tall enough to ride on SDMT when it first came out, so we took him on it and he did ok. He loves all rollercoasters now and rode EE last trip. My youngest would be almost 3 if we go back to WDW in Spring 2019 and might be tall enough to ride SDD by then. Has anyone taken a just at the height requirement kid on SDD? Is it comparable to SDMT?

My fondest Disney memory is chasing my then 3-year old daughter back to the entrance of Space Mountain moments before midnight with her screaming "One more time Daddy" all the way. I would think a 3 year old would be fine on Slinky.

Thanks for the responses! I watched a ride video and I think it might be too much. If we end up going on this trip then we will do a MK Day first so I can see how he responds to Barnstormer and SDD. I just wish there were more rides for littles at HS.

Good strategy about going to MK first. Just a suggestion , SDD is more fun in early evening when all lights are on. The Christmas lights and the “Go” rings are really cute!

And Dinosaur is SO bumpy and jerky and throws you around. Not my favorite even tho the theme is fun.
I like thrill rides but I’m not impressed with Dinosaur. Hope Disney will do something about it.

My 5 year old was fine with 7DMT but wouldn't even go on Slinky---I think because you can't see all of the twists and turns like PP mentioned. We had a fast pass two weeks ago for Slinky and I was really excited to ride---but he chickened out watching the coaster.

We had our little guy watch the ride video and he said it was too scary. I'm the great grandma and I agreed!

So I would try Barnstormer first. We took my 3 yo on Barnstormer twice and once he loved it and second time he was scared. That was last dec. He will be almost 4 this coming trip in a few weeks. I will try barnstormer again and then try 7DMT because he is begging for that. I really think Slinky will be too much for him so even though he is begging for it (thanks Disney TV promos lol) we probably will skip it. We will be going back in Nov for his fourth birthday so if he handles everything ok we may try then.

It really goes by your child's temperament so that is why I would try the ones at MK first and see. Chances are it will be too much for that age.

In terms of HS rides TSM and Alien Saucers will be right on target. My son also loves Disney Junior Live and the Muppet Show (thanks to the Muppet Baby reboot). He also enjoyed the Frozen sing along but that may be seasonal. In general aside from the big coasters HS is more of a show park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter