• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

slo’s FRIDAY 11/17 poll - Skylights

Skylights - Do you have any and how many? (m.c.)

• We have a skylight(s) in our home

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • We do not have a skylight in our home

Votes: 78 77.2%
  • We have one

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • We have two

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • We have three

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • We have four or more

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Our old home had a skylight - I miss it

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Our old home had a skylight - I do not miss it

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • What’s a skylight?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
Skylights are such a nice way to get extra natural light into your home.

Do you have any skylights in your home?
If yes….how many?
(multiple choice)

For Me…..We have one skylight and it’s in our kitchen - I absolutely love it!

This is my DD20, but when she was 12yrs old - this was autumn 2015. There was bird poop on the glass that was really annoying her, so she crawled up on the roof to clean it (with my DH’s supervision).

IMG_2333.jpeg

SLO, so your DD doesn’t have to go climbing all the time…..I wonder if you put a coat of rainex or wax on it , it would keep window cleaner?? no idea, just throwing it out there.

SLO, so your DD doesn’t have to go climbing all the time…..I wonder if you put a coat of rainex or wax on it , it would keep window cleaner?? no idea, just throwing it out there.
That‘s a great idea, and I also have no idea if that would work :confused3
I’m going to look into it over the weekend.
Thank you for suggesting it :-)

We don’t have one but I do like them. Natural light is huge for me and we sited our house and added tons of windows to get as much light as possible. It is great because even in the cold dark winter here in Massachusetts, I can leave my front storm door open on a sunny day and the heat can be off. The front and side of our house get sun all day long which makes the house so bright. I love it.

My dad has a ranch with a front porch (blocks the sun) and the house is so dark. He is thinking of installing a couple skylights because he knows it would make a huge difference. I hope he does.

Yes leaks can be an issue. In our prior home which was new construction there was a leakage problem with one of them and builder could never seem to figure out how to resolve it. Didn't live there long enough to know what they eventually did to fix it. Not a big fan and as the OP indicated can be a challenge to clean since they tend to be up high on the roof. Would not choose to get any when we build our next home.

I assume the leakage is caused by either faulty installation or the roof not being perfectly flat in that area. For regular shingles it wouldn't matter, but likely the solar panels don't seal correctly if there are any uneven areas on the roof. Ones made from plastic will also likely fade overtime and not look very good.

Last edited:
I’ve never had any but wonder if they might increase the chance for leaks.
We have 2.
One in our foyer and one over our bathtub in our ensuite. I was nervous about leakage when we first moved in. But almost 22 years later, so far at least, no leaks!

Skylights are definitely not something I’d choose to put in my house. And I don’t think I’ll miss them if I move.

We have 4 in our added-on room off the walk out basement (when my Step FIL moved in, he wanted a pool - he used to live in CA - we compromised and let him put in a hot tub/jacuzzi room lol)

No skylights in my current house and really nowhere that one could go.

My parents put a skylight in when they re-did the kitchen in my childhood home. They extended the kitchen into the breezeway (Cape style house) and put a skylight in what used to be the breezeway. It was nice for that room.

We have 2.
One in our foyer and one over our bathtub in our ensuite. I was nervous about leakage when we first moved in. But almost 22 years later, so far at least, no leaks!

Skylights are definitely not something I’d choose to put in my house. And I don’t think I’ll miss them if I move.
No skylights in our current place but we did have them in our ensuite and main bath two homes ago (house was built in the ‘80’s). I thought they were nice, and definitely trendy at that time, but I’ve never missed them. And they’re basically non-existent as a design feature these days. I’m in residential construction and haven’t seen one go in for probably 10 or 12 years.

No skylights in our current house. When I first got married we had a skylight in the house we rented. It was nice but I don’t care that I don’t have one now.

This room clearly had four at some point, but they were covered up and roofed over (pardon the dusty fans) before we moved in. My parents’ last house had a couple and they always had leak issues. IMG_0068.jpegIMG_0070.jpeg

I enjoy them at other people's houses, but we do not have any and I wouldn't want any in my home. As a child, I knew several people who had them and it seemed like they always had leak issues. I'm sure skylight technology has advanced since then, but it's not something I would want to deal with!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter