• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

slo’s MONDAY 11/20 poll - Your Thanksgiving Turkey 🦃

TGiving Turkey - What’s your favorite way, do you make it, does your host make it? (m.c.)

• Oven Roasted

Votes: 82 76.6%
  • Fried

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Smoked

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Another way not mentioned - please post what

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • I will be preparing the Thanksgiving turkey my favorite way

Votes: 33 30.8%
  • I’m a guest - the host makes it my favorite way

Votes: 30 28.0%
  • I’m a guest - the host does not makes it my favorite way

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • I’m going to a restaurant - I’m not sure how they’ll make it

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t like turkey or I can’t eat turkey

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 9 8.4%

• Total voters
I’ve only ever had it oven roasted. I’d like to try fried but unlikely to happen. I’m doing a boneless turkey breast this year as it was half the cost of a bone-in breast.

We are an oven roasted family. My sister and I will be the primary cooks, although my BIL does assist by making pie and the cranberry-cherry sauce in advance. There will only be the three of us, so there will be plenty of leftovers to split between us.

I think I’ve only had oven roasted. My sister is preparing the Thanksgiving Turkey. I will do the Christmas Turkey.

MIL is making the turkey this year, we’re guests, bringing several sides. I’m not sure if she’s going to smoke it , or if she’s smoking the ham. Or both . Whichever way will be yummy. She does a good job with it. Sometimes, DH will down early and help, especially if smoking . Not sure what the plan is this year .

We are roasting two turkeys (smallish, just 12-13 lbs each) this year. One in the oven, one in a roaster.
We like fried, but decided to roast this year.
Both turkeys will be stuffed.

Oven roasted, but in an electric, countertop roaster oven. Easier to do and it clears up the oven for other stuff.

So not sure if there will be two turkeys this year(I am a guest)

Sometimes there is a smoked one and a oven roasted one

I prefer brined/oven roasted but I'm particular about my brine

Both come out fine and I like them, but I prefer mine(I usually make a mini turkey dinner at a later date using a turkey breast)

Oven roasted here. I'd love to taste the deep fried version, but not about to attempt to cook one.

If I'm making a whole turkey I prefer to dry brine it and roast it spatchcocked. Everything cooks evenly, quickly and comes out juicy.

The last couple of years we've just done a turkey breast because we like white meat. Ina Garten's herb-roasted turkey breast recipe is awesome:

Good to know-I'm finally making it this year, have had the printed recipe for a while but just never found the time. We are going to try it this weekend. Thanksgiving is at my sister's house but this way we have leftovers.

DD is hosting, and since there will be only 6 present, she got a turkey breast. She’ll roast it in an oven bag.

There are only 3 of us so get a few breasts to put in the oven no salt or seasoning due to allergies. We have that along with the sides for 3-4 nights.

My husband is the turkey cooker at our house.

We have 2 turkeys for this week - one is 22 lbs & one is 15 lbs.

Both will be brined & spatchocked. I think both will be smoked. (I‘m completely over the turkey presentation for carving at the table, so both will also be carved out of sight then the platters of carved turkey meat will be added to the buffet.)

The 22 lb one will be a Citrus Herb Turkey, & the 15 lb one will be a Maple Bourbon Turkey.

We cook it in the oven, but this year we will be trying something new, Martha's parchment paper method. We do not carve at the table, we cut a lot of it up and serve it on a platter.

I put other because we really aren't doing anything for Thanksgiving this year. My son and his SO are having her parents to their house and hubby has to work that day so we aren't going to his parents. He works from home so it's not a huge deal. He doesn't like turkey but will eat it because I like it but I did a turkey breast a few weeks ago when he was out of town so I don't really need it this soon. I think we are having chicken and dumplings since it's supposed to be sort of cool here in Georgia this week. When we do cook it, it's usually roasted in the oven. Hubby puts it in a brine the night before so it's nice and tender. He has smoked one a couple of times when we had family over but our smoker is so big and it takes such a long time it's not worth firing it up for just one turkey. When he does it, it's if we are feeding a lot of people and he smokes a turkey, a ham, a butt (for pulled pork) some ribs and sausage at the same time.

My mother was kind enough to give us her turkey breast
she got with her points at the store.

I always prepare turkey or chicken in my Rotisserie oven.

I have only had oven roasted, but imagine I would be OK with any cooking method. I have wanted to taste a fried one to see what I thought of it.

I love traditional roast turkey with stuffing IN the bird. I am also the only one in the family that would choose this, so we rarely have it. Lately we have been going with a smoked turkey from Sam's. Everyone (except me) far prefers this to traditional stuffed turkey. Not only do I not get my favorite turkey, but the leftover sandwiches just aren't the same with a smoked bird.

For a few years, DH and I did duck to Thanksgiving, which was marvelous! However, there are 12 of us this year. There's no way I'm paying $9 a pound for enough duck for 12!

We roast ours in the oven and every year, I brine it the night before. Brining will take a cheap turkey and turn it into something that tastes like a million bucks. I often try to use honey instead of sugar in the brine, and I throw in an orange cut into quarters (squeeze the juice into the brine mixture first), usually also a couple of bay leaves, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, and salt (of course).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter