• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

slo’s NYE 12/31 poll - Staying Up Until Midnight

Are you staying up until midnight & are you having a toast? (M.C.)

• I’m staying up until midnight

Votes: 50 44.6%
  • I’m not sure yet if I’m staying up until midnight

Votes: 16 14.3%
  • I will not be staying up until midnight

Votes: 36 32.1%
  • I will be having a toast with someone

Votes: 22 19.6%
  • I will not be having a toast with someone

Votes: 17 15.2%
  • I will be toasting with champagne

Votes: 12 10.7%
  • I will be toasting with something else

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • I don’t celebrate NYE

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • I will be working at midnight

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
I am an early-to-bed person and normally don't do anything special for New Year's Eve, but this year DH and I are going to a late Christmas party at his Lodge, and I'm not sure exactly what to expect.

It's an annual thing, but usually one of the weekends before Christmas. It starts with dinner and used to run quite late, but has been ending gradually earlier and earlier the last few years (accelerated by lower numbers during covid).

This year, conflicts dictated a date change, and I'm not sure if it will still end early or turn into counting down and toasting together. I'm keeping an open mind.

We have plans with our neighbors for a dinner & comedy show. The event ends at 10 but we'll still be up at midnight & ring in the new year with a toast of Prosecco (I don't care for real champagne). 2023 is my retirement year so I'm very happy to see it finally come! Happy New Year Disers!

I usually don’t manage to stay awake until midnight, but I did get a really good night’s sleep last night, so anything is possible. Usually I go to sleep about nine, wake up at midnight when the neighbors set off fireworks, and go back to sleep. Happy New Year to all! 🥳

I live in the Netherlands. We can set off fireworks ourselves. Fireworks is a huge thing here. This year we have bought fireworks worth 110 million euro ($118 million). There is no way I can sleep at midnight, even if I wanted to :P

Will stay up till the fireworks is over, probably around 1:00, 1:30.

Last edited:
We are hoping to be able to stay awake to see the ball drop in Times Square and then at 1 am EST for the midnight fleur de lis drop in New Orleans. We don’t drink alcohol so no toast.

Reactions: slo
We always stay up to see the ball drop from Times Square on TV, but this year may be different. DH just got over Covid but now he has a sinus infection. And I picked up a cold from somewhere so neither of us are feeling that great. Maybe if we take early evening naps we will make it. Or not. We are both taking meds so no alcohol. Maybe an apple juice toast though😁

Pretty soon the 3 of us are going to dinner at a family owned hamburger place that’s been around for over 50 years and we’ll toast our milkshakes with DD19 before she goes to a friends house for the evening - I’m looking forward to that.

DH told me he got some mozzarella sticks and breaded mushrooms for us to snack on with a few beers as we wait for midnight. I’ll probably have a stomachache by the time the night is over, but hey….it’s New Years

We are at Cabana Bay in Universal and doing their dance party with champagne! Our daughter has one more week before her university starts up again so we are all hanging out together!! Our son graduated from High School this month too, so it's a celebration for him too AND his birthday was this past week and her birthday is this week!

I am finally back on the Dis! It has been so sporadic since Thanksgiving -- the holidays felt ten times more hectic this year and honestly, I have absolutely no idea why?! Anyway, I missed you guys. :yay:

Yes, I will be up this NYE. And everyone, pray for me! Right now, just PRAY!!! DD is having 6 friends (teenagers) over to bring in the New Year. :rotfl: And my dh was called in for an overtime trip, so I am doing this shindig solo. See, I told you I need prayers.;)

No champagne toast (or kiss) as I am responsible for these kids. I'm most likely ringing in 2023 with my little furry boy 🐈 beside me and teens screaming the countdown in the basement. 12:30am is pick up time, if everything goes accordingly, I will be in bed at 12:40, ha ha ha.

Happy New Year!! 🎆

I have to be at work early tomorrow, so I will not be staying up. But my neighborhood loves fireworks, so I'm sure they will wake me up when that time comes, which is perfectly ok with me.

This will be me:

nMOjpc.png

Welcome to Dutch new year. It is 5 minutes past midnight and from my upstairs window I can see over the suburbs for several miles.

On my own square there are three or four families are setting off fireworks.

Due to the strong winds most professional fireworks shows are cancelled, but for private persons should be fine 😉

20230101_000449.jpg

We’ll be up to see the new year in, but we normally stay up late on weekends anyway. Not big partiers anymore, but we have our own celebration with lots of good food and drink. More comfortable and safer at home. Tonight is lousy weather, so I would not want to be on the road. At midnight, we call or text our siblings and MIL (last living parent) to wish them a Happy New Year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter