slo’s SATURDAY poll - Watching TV

Watching TV - What do you use to watch?

• Cable

Votes: 41 38.7%
  • Satellite

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • Streaming Service (Netflix, Hulu & etc)

Votes: 83 78.3%
  • YouTube

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • TV apps (free)

Votes: 13 12.3%
  • TV apps (paid - like amc plus)

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • Antenna

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • I don’t watch TV

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t own a TV

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
I watch nothing except cable tv. DH and my daughters have a bunch of other stuff that I don’t even know the passwords to. I’ve heard netflix, peacock, Disney+ talked about. I know we also have fire sticks. Might have Hulu too, but not sure.

Dish Network. We gave our daughter a Netflix account for her birthday about 5 years ago, so we have access to that. She has a YouTube TV account that she shares with us. Very little we want to watch on Netflix. I don't think we have logged-in in a year. We only used the YouTube TV account when one of the local channels was dropped from Dish for months in a dispute over compensation. I could have just used my Rabbit Ears, but it was nice having the DVR on YouTube TV like I have on my Dish.

We have DirecTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu. We only have Hulu this year due to the $.99/month deal they offered over the holidays. The kids mainly watch the 3 streaming services. My husband and I watch DirecTV.

We have satellite but honestly we only seem to watch the new on it these day. Most of the time we use streaming services. We have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus, Apple TV. At the moment we have a free mouth of Brit Box but only DH has been watching so far.

I use an antenna, but I also have an extensive DVD collection, with complete series of many of my favorite tv shows. So I would say it’s about half antenna and half DVD.

I do not have any streaming services, and I dropped my satellite subscription when I lost my job last year.

I wanted to add that we use two TiVo units, the originator of the DVR. It is an additional cost, $100 per year, per device. They will record up to six different programs at the same time and always has six sources (channels) in a continual 30 minute buffer. Put one source on pause, switch to a different source and watch while the other source is buffering, great for real time commercial elimination. Setting up recordings is so simple. And the remote, wonderful. I'd pay the hundred bucks a year just for the remote.

Just moved in late January and have gig internet included in our condo dues.
Stuff we pay for is: YoutubeTV, Disney+ (annual sub), HBO Max (annual sub), Apple TV+ (annual sub), Paramount+ (annual sub), Prime Video (annual sub).
Free apps: IMDbTV, tubi, Plex, pluto tv, Peacock (included for free with the internet).
Also have Discovery+ (annual sub) right now but that is done in the 9th or 10th, and not renewing it. Netflix as well, but as soon and I get the price increase I am cancelling, will pay for a few months a year when new shows I want to watch come out.

We just dropped DirecTV last month and now use YouTube TV for our live TV watching. Also have Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Paramount+ (dropping that one soon) and Amazon Prime.

Cable TV is a generation thing, the older you are the higher chance that you still have it.
Research wise the number of subscribers overall dropped from 76% (2015) to 56% (2021). However 81% of those 65 and older still have it, and 66% of those between 50-64. Drop down a couple of generations and only 34% of people aged 18-29 still subscribe.

The decline obviously is happening pretty quickly. I think unless cable prices drop substantially it will be one of those "back in my day" things. Much like wrapping foil around an antenna. I also don't get HOW people can deal with commercials... :oops:

No cable/satellite, never signed back up for it after 2 years displaced without a home.

I mostly watch Youtube even though I have Netflix and Hulu. I actually just signed up over winter to pay and get rid of Youtube ads because it's mainly all I watch. My TV app updated and suddenly I couldn't watch anything without an ad interrupting every 15 seconds. I also pay for my daughter's student Prime account so I have Prime for the TV.

DirecTV wanted to raise our bill to $175/month, so we dropped them and went with Hulu Live. We have since dropped down to basic Hulu. We also have Discovery+, Peacock, Frndly, Disney+, and Netflix and Paramount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter