slo’s SUNDAY 7/31 poll - Pierogies

Pierogi flavors - what’s your favorite(s)? (M.C.)

• Potato & cheese

Votes: 76 66.1%
  • Sweet cheese

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Another type of cheese (please post what)

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Meat

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Sauerkraut

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • Fruit (please post which one)

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Onion

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • Mushroom

• I’ve never had pierogis

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • Other - please post your answer

• Total voters
Only had meat filled pierogies. My Aunt.....my mom's youngest sister used to make them using my Grandmother's recipe. That Aunt used to make them in advance and freeze them and then cook them when she had a large group to feed.

Living in western PA where even the Pirate games have pierogi races, it would be blasphemous to not have had them! Potato & cheese, Sauerkraut and prune are my favorites, but sweet cheese is also pretty darn good!

Love pierogis and love Pierogi Fest! My family is Polish, and we used to get together every Easter, get together in an assembly line and make/freeze massive batches of pierogis in my grandmother's basement to last us the whole year! My favorite as a child used to be the beef ones, but now I prefer the cheese and potato. I often make the frozen type at home, and I tried the only potato ones - they were dry as a cotton ball! Never again!
A second question - how do you like your pierogis cooked? I prefer mine fried in a pan and super crispy!

Living in western PA where even the Pirate games have pierogi races, it would be blasphemous to not have had them! Potato & cheese, Sauerkraut and prune are my favorites, but sweet cheese is also pretty darn good!
Phillies played the Pirates today and the commentators talked about pierogies, and the fact they sold them at the park!

Like Mrs. T's Perogi? Love them. Potato and cheese. I only see onion as another flavor available around here. Can't stand onions so just the potato and cheese.

I've never had home made. I may have to give it a whirl sometime.

I wouldn't get any other listed if it was available as that is all something I would add externally. I cook with mushrooms a lot. Love sauerkraut and would want my preferred version, home made being at the top of the list.

Edit: The fruit option threw me for a loop as potatoes and fruit sounds crazy. That thought was with the thought that perogies were specifically potato filled dumplings and I see I was wrong with that thought. Thus my above text would be assuming potato perogies and adding said items fresh externally to the dumpling.

I like the cheese and potato ones. I don’t think I have had the others. We use to get them until we found out that DH had a gluten allergy. My girls were not the biggest fans so it is not worth it for just me. I recently went to a Polish restaurant and almost ordered it but ended up picking something else. Next time.

I also boil first then saute in butter and onions and serve with sour cream. I love all the posters that say they tried from scratch, once. Me too! Oh and also drives me crazy when my husband will throw a whole box in the oven to bake. No!! And he is the Slovak in the family- yikes!!

Sour cherry is my favorite flavor of the "dessert" variety but they are hard to find.

Love pierogis and love Pierogi Fest! My family is Polish, and we used to get together every Easter, get together in an assembly line and make/freeze massive batches of pierogis in my grandmother's basement to last us the whole year! My favorite as a child used to be the beef ones, but now I prefer the cheese and potato. I often make the frozen type at home, and I tried the only potato ones - they were dry as a cotton ball! Never again!
A second question - how do you like your pierogis cooked? I prefer mine fried in a pan and super crispy!
I heat them up in a ridiculous amount of butter and we like them pillowy soft 🙂👍🏻

I’m kind of tired of potato pierogi so I buy or make other varieties. Two not mentioned above are spinach and sautéed cabbage (not sauerkraut) & onion in tomato sauce.

Around Easter I made a humongous batch from scratch (an all-day messy affair) and froze them: sauerkraut, mushroom, spinach, cabbage, farmer’s cheese (twarog), diced red pepper, etc.

Generally I sauté them in plenty of butter and onions. Serve with sour cream, salsa, applesauce, or practically any dipping type sauce.

I’ve never made fruit filled pierogi (that’s a plural word; a single is a pierog, but who eats just one?), but I buy them at various Polish delis. Blueberry, strawberry, prune, etc. Great topped with powdered sugar and sweet cream.

Smacznego!!!

I know, yesterday's poll.

But I feel like everyone needs to know that we had kielbasa, potato cheese pierogi with onions and green beans for dinner last night. It was excellent.

Do you eat Pierogies?
If yes - what kind do you like?
(multiple choice).....*Inspiration for today’s poll - the three of us going to Pierogi Fest today.
...YUM-o! My personal favorite is the onion and potato pierogi....potato and cheese ones are pretty deelish too! There's a Polish deli [Piast] near my house in Garfield that makes great pierogies....oh great! :mad: so guess where I'M going for lunch today?

I'm Polish and we make home made pierogies. They are a pain to make and take hours so I don't make them that often but always for Christmas. We make potato and farmer's cheese. I don't like sauerkraut so we make cabbage ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter