slo’s SUNDAY poll - Church (Any Religion or Religious Affiliation)

How often do you attend church? (Any religion or religious affiliation)

• Every day

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Several days of the week & weekend

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Every weekend

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • Almost every weekend

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Several weekends a year

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Holidays only

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Family events that are in a church only

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • Very sporadic - when the mood hits me to go

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I do not attend any church services anywhere or anytime

Votes: 49 37.4%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters
I couldn't even see James Bond movies because they were condemned by the church. (Legion of decency)

And please don't put me on any prayer lists. I got this!

One good thing about those lists of banned movies was to tell me what I SHOULD go to see, ;)

And those that say "I'll pray for you" to others. Do you mention them by name, or just go the lazy route and lump them in with "all the sinners"?

One good thing about those lists of banned movies was to tell me what I SHOULD go to see, ;)

And those that say "I'll pray for you" to others. Do you mention them by name, or just go the lazy route and lump them in with "all the sinners"?
I name names in my prayers, although, I do add a "and for everyone whom you know is in my heart but of which I'm not currently thinking."

Another just weddings and funerals church goer.

My family was never religious at at most we'd attend services on Christmas and Easter. My parents' idea of religious instruction was dropping my brother and me off at Sunday School for 3 or 4 years and avoiding the subject otherwise.
Why non-religious people do this is a total mystery to me. :confused3 I'm equally baffled by people who want to have clergy officiate their weddings/family funerals when they are not adherents to that faith tradition and have no personal relationship with the clergy member. 1-800-Rent-A-Pastor. It just seems so odd.

We got out of the habit of going to church on Sundays (or Saturday night) during the pandemic shutdown and now that masses are back in person, we still haven't been going very often. Probably need to get back to going to church soon (we're Catholic).

Why non-religious people do this is a total mystery to me. :confused3 I'm equally baffled by people who want to have clergy officiate their weddings/family funerals when they are not adherents to that faith tradition and have no personal relationship with the clergy member. 1-800-Rent-A-Pastor. It just seems so odd.
Most of the time it’s to please someone in the family like parents or grandparents. Sometimes it’s easier to cave than to deal with the “what will people think” drama. My sister caved when it came to rituals involving her kids, I didn’t. I *still* hear about it occasionally and my oldest is 25.

We go regularly to Sunday school and church. I have a 10 year old daughter and our church has a wonderful kids program where she has great friends - that keeps me going if nothing else, but I also like the fellowship with other adults and the messages from our pastor.

We take our daughter to midweek youth group but admittedly don't stay ourselves. So therefore I only marked weekends.

If I know their name, I pray by name. If I don’t, then I will pray for them according to their need, something like “I want to pray for the woman I met in the grocery who was in too much pain to get items off the shelf . . . ” and go from there. If I am praying for someone, I want to be specific.

I believe we are all given free choice to live as we see best. I choose to live as a Christian, but I am not going to force anyone else to do likewise, or to even follow the same denominational beliefs I do. I don’t do any kind of blanket prayer for “all the sinners”. I am sure I have prayed for non believers though, because any time I see a car broken down along the side of the road, I pray their car is fixed quickly, and the repair is not expensive. Does it help? I will never know. But it doesn’t hurt.

Only weddings and funerals.

Same here.

I had some bad experiences with a church as a teenager that really turned me off to it. Now I often find what people preach in church incongruous to my values. I have no problem going for a wedding though.

Agnostic here. Maybe atheist, I can never decide.

Never go to church except for weddings and funerals etc.

I suppose my parents thought providing the bare minimum of religious instruction was the "right" thing to do, but they didn't want to handle the task.

I was married for the first time in a church. It was my ex-wife's parents' church. My ex had stopped attending years prior, but to keep peace with her family we agreed to get married there. It was a Presbyterian church.

My parents loosely belonged to a non-denominational Protestant church and we'd attend on Christmas and Easter. I can't even remember the name of it anymore. It's been at least 35 years.

I suppose my parents thought providing the bare minimum of religious instruction was the "right" thing to do, but they didn't want to handle the task.

I was married for the first time in a church. It was my ex-wife's parents' church. My ex had stopped attending years prior, but to keep peace with her family we agreed to get married there. It was a Presbyterian church.

My parents loosely belonged to a non-denominational Protestant church and we'd attend on Christmas and Easter. I can't even remember the name of it anymore. It's been at least 35 years.
:flower3: I wasn't trying to be sarky - it's just one of those things I'll never understand. It seems like people have some vague notion that "church" has value of some sort but not enough for them to actually want to genuinely check it out for themselves.

:flower3: I wasn't trying to be sarky - it's just one of those things I'll never understand. It seems like people have some vague notion that "church" has value of some sort but not enough for them to actually want to genuinely check it out for themselves.

Oh, no problem whatsoever. I didn't take it as snarky.

On some level I suppose my parents felt a sense of obligation about religion, but by the time I was a young teen I could tell they really didn't care for the subject. Soon after my father died when I was 15, my mother stopped attending all together.

We totally believe in God. We do not go to church but we watch seferal preachers on television, Charles Stanley‘s older sermons and a couple of local preachers of different denominations. I am a bit of an introvert and get very anxious in crowds and social situation. I would love to be able to enjoy going.

I attended faithfully, for years. Until I had a conflict with the way my denomination was implementing their canons.

Since then, also since my husband retired, I don't attend as often. Occasionally, until COVID hit, then not at all.

I still read my bible, pray, and believe, but I don't need an actual service to feel like I've maintained my religious belief.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter