• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

slo’s SUNDAY poll - Folding & Putting Away Laundry

Folding & Putting Away Laundry - How long does it take you?

• The same day it’s washed

Votes: 54 51.4%
  • 1 - 2 days

Votes: 16 15.2%
  • 3 - 4 days

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • 5 - 6 days

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • A week or longer

• When guests are coming over

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t put away - we just take items out of the laundry baskets

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • All the above - it’s different all the time

Votes: 23 21.9%
  • The person I pay to do my laundry does....(please post your answer)

• Other - please post your answer

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
How quick do you fold and put away clean laundry?

For Me....normally between 1 - 2 days. I absolutely can’t stand laundry baskets laying around with stuff in them - drives me crazy.
Same day for items totally dried in the dryer, like underwear and pajamas.
Next day for anything hanging up to finish drying, which is about everything besides underwear and pajamas. These items dry in the dryer about 15 minutes and then go immediately on a hanger or drying rack so they can dry as wrinkle free as possible.

Last edited:
This is the chore I loathe so my clothes tend to pile on top of the dryer until I have 2 loads to put away. I HATE folding and putting away but I love to wash. God, there's a load in the dryer now...out of sight out of mind lol

This varies depending on how I feel. Also, when I wash bath towels, I like them to be extra dry and leave them hanging for an extra day or two.

Same day 99% of the time. It’s one household chore I don’t mind doing. If I hang something to dry it goes in the closet the next day.

:sad2: Ahh, drat you Slo!! You've made me air my "dirty laundry". It's my achilles heel of chores and what keeps me being just an OK housekeeper instead of a great one. :o I voted "All of the above" because it totally depends on my motivation and energy levels. Sometimes it comes right out of the dryer and into the drawers but more often it languishes in baskets or even in piles on the closet or bedroom floor, sometimes co-mingling with the dirty stuff that gets chucked on top of it.

I don't mind folding but for some reason I hate putting away. It generally gets folded as soon as it's dry (sometimes me, sometimes DH, sometimes both together), but DH does most of the putting away. I'd probably just dress out of clean laundry baskets till I needed the baskets again.

The kids have to be nagged to fold theirs or put it away. They either leave it in the dryer or off load it into a family room chair (I hate that) till I announce an ultimatum!

Fold right from the dryer , have to take out warm so when I fold no wrinkles. Washer / dryer repeat until wash is done. Carry baskets upstairs 2 floor put away right away. Or at least to the main floor until I need the basket again for the next load.

It is my Saturday / Sunday job since here in Ontario ,Canada we have smart(stupid) meters that show when we use electricity. Off peak hours is the weekend or at night after 7.

I said other because technically I don't put them away at any given time. Unless it's towels or sheets, I take them out as soon as they are dry and hang them in the laundry room or fold the non-hanging things and leave them on top of the dryer. The next time I do hanging/folding things, I take the things already hanging or folded in the laundry room and put them up. Towels and sheets sometimes stay in the dryer or a laundry basket in the laundry room until I'm in the mood to put them up. I started doing the hanging and leaving in the laundry room years ago. I had more than enough clothes to not wear the same thing to work two weeks in a row but would sometimes forget what I wore last week. I used to do laundry every Sunday so this assured I wouldn't wear something two weeks in a row. When I did it every Sunday, the towels and sheets were put up. Now, I'm semi-retired and only go to the office once a week and there is no one there but me. I just do laundry when it needs to be done, which can sometimes be two weeks for some things. Hubby tends to pull his clothes out of the laundry room now instead of the ones I've moved to the closet, he has worked from home for at least 15 years so he wears Tshirts and shorts or sweats most of the time and has gained a lot of weight so doesn't have a large selection of things that fit.

Sunday is do the wash day. From washing to drying to folding and being put up in a few hours. My wife refuses to let me touch the washer or dryer unless it is an emergency.
Not much laundry here any more. Both kids are out of the house. I'm working from home so instead of what I wore to work and what I wore at home each day, I have just one set of clothing. And our gym is still closed so no gym clothing. Cut our laundry by two thirds since the pandemic started.

Family of 5 here. One kid away at college so 4 of us at home. DH and I don’t dress up for work, but the kids play sports—one DD has one practice or another 6 days a week and often games on Saturday so 7 days a week. I do multiple loads every day. I carry it up from the basement, fold/hang it on my bed while watching TV and then immediately (since it’s on my bed) put it away if it’s mine, DH’s or household—towels, cleaning rags etc. I separate the kids’ stuff by child with another pile of “which one of you does this belong to?” and then text them with a cute little laundry emoji 🧺 so they come get it. One child immediately puts hers away, the other just puts it away occasionally. The kid in college lost her mom laundry service privilege in high school because she sometimes would re-throw clean laundry back in the hamper rather than putting it away—stacks of folded pj’s is a dead giveaway. I think sometimes clean laundry would co-mingle with dirty stuff so she wanted it re-washed, but I quickly became fed up with that.

Same day it's washed. I only have a bedroom to myself, and I keep it very neat so the thought of leaving laundry around in a basket is not on for me. I *loathe* doing laundry, so the quicker it's done the better.

For some reason my last laundry load batch always ends up staying in the dryer until I start a new load of laundry. So this can be the next day up to a week. If I'm washing loads back to back, things are removed, folded, and put away asap.

Sunday is do the wash day. From washing to drying to folding and being put up in a few hours. My wife refuses to let me touch the washer or dryer unless it is an emergency.
Not much laundry here any more. Both kids are out of the house. I'm working from home so instead of what I wore to work and what I wore at home each day, I have just one set of clothing. And our gym is still closed so no gym clothing. Cut our laundry by two thirds since the pandemic started.
My DH does his own. Understand of course that he sends his shirts out and I have to iron all his pants so we're really only talking about socks, underwear and t-shirts, but it makes him feel empowered, so yay for him. :cheer2:

It’s me and my 3 kids at home and everyone does their own laundry. The youngest and I fold and put away right out of the dryer. The other two live out of laundry baskets.

I'm retired but I still once in awhile leave a load of towels sitting in the dryer over night.

I'm super impressed at how many people get it all done same day.
Not me. What I call "processing" is a real haphazard situation in our house. My laundry area is always a mess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter