slo’s THURSDAY 10/19 poll - Cookbooks 📚

Cookbooks - Do you have any and how many? (m.c,)

• I have cookbooks

Votes: 60 57.1%
  • I have NO cookbooks

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • 1-3

Votes: 16 15.2%
  • 4-6

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • 7-9

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • 10-12

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • 13-15

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • 16-18

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 19 or more

Votes: 37 35.2%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
I love cookbooks - I really really do ❤️
I have to stop myself from buying them, because how many cookbooks does one need?!
So I ask…..

**This is a 2 part poll - tomorrow will be cookbooks vs online recipes**

Do you have cookbooks at home?
If yes….how many?
(multiple choice)

For Me…..I have over 20 cookbooks - some thick hard cover books, some are skinny books and some are my own hand written books. Below is a picture of my cookbooks ⬇️

IMG_2131.jpeg

Good morning! I used to have a lot more, but I forced myself to clear them out -- while I'd look at them occasionally, I'd go with the online recipes with reviews/suggestions.

Before getting rid of them, I did pull out the recipes I did use, though, and put them in a folder I store with the books. I do have some favorites I kept, though including a 1980's Christmas Gems book from the Atlanta Garden Society (or something like that) that's held together by a rubber band.

ETA: I still subscribe to Taste of Home. I used to love taking my time going through everything, but since it's added ads, I haven't enjoyed it as much (probably years ago). Haven't made any recipes from it in a long time.

Last edited:
Well over 20 I’d have to count them they go back decades - some I only use once a year - one I’ve used so much it’s falling apart and I can’t replace it well maybe on eBay it’s from the 70s best one I have
I also have four recipe boxes full of recipes I use all the time
I have not bought a new cookbook in years I pretty much get new recipes online these days and if I like it put it on the recipe card

My first cookbook was a red Betty Crocker cookbook that I got in 1972. I still use that cookbook even though it is falling apart. It has several of my favorite recipes. Almost all of my cookbooks were gifts. I haven't counted them but I'm sure there are more than 20. :)

I know we (Marie) have at least one and I think like maybe 2 or 3.i know we have the Betty Crocker Cook Book. That was (not sure if it still is) like a Bible for cooking back in the 50's, 60's, 70's. I referred to it when I was a kid, at my parent's home trying to make French toast, ha. We had one when we got married in '71. I'm sure it's still in the bottom drawer in the kitchen.

I think Marie has maybe a couple others but I'm pretty sure she does not refer to any of them. I do know that when we go to a gathering where foods have been brought by others there, she always winds up with a hand written recipe from somebody there who brought something good and new. We have quite a number of slips of paper.

Wow. Just counted. 104.
I had no idea.
I have a special bookcase for them in the dining room.

I have the basics, 3 editions of the Joy of Cooking and a Betty Crocker. The 1997 Joy and 2000 Betty are my primary cook books, but I have an extensive collection of Eastern/ Central European cook books that I rely on heavily.

My mom was a terrible cook (Irish blech bland food) so Betty and Joy taught me the basics. And all of the good Slovak cooks on Dad's side had died by the time I was an adult, so I relied on the ethnic books to get in touch with the heritage.

I will do a bit of googling to search for variations, but sometimes it seems like the cooking bloggers just steal from each other and adjust the salt and pepper levels to make them different.

Love cookbooks. I like to read them.
I have a lot of them for special diets......diabetic, gluten free, dairy free. Family has a lot of issues!!
Love to bake, so lots of cookie books, especially.
I have cleaned them out several times, but still have
1697717188928.png
The binders at the bottom are full of recipes.

I also have a couple of recipe boxes with older recipes from my mother and grandmother.
I also have a cookbook on my computer in a program called Master Cook where I store a lot of my recipes. Harder to load that anymore so I haven't been adding to it.

I some of them a lot and some not often.

Love cookbooks. I like to read them.
I have a lot of them for special diets......diabetic, gluten free, dairy free. Family has a lot of issues!!
Love to bake, so lots of cookie books, especially.
I have cleaned them out several times, but still have
View attachment 803263
The binders at the bottom are full of recipes.

I also have a couple of recipe boxes with older recipes from my mother and grandmother.
I also have a cookbook on my computer in a program called Master Cook where I store a lot of my recipes. Harder to load that anymore so I haven't been adding to it.

I some of them a lot and some not often.
Okay, you have me beat. My bookcase isn't that full. I've only filled 3 of my 5 shelves.

I have a ton of cookbooks. I like to browse through them for ideas. I use them as a guideline and not for the recipes, specifically.

I do use my cookie books at Christmas. I don't wing those recipes as much as I do savory dishes.

Joy of Cooking and Betty Crocker. My mom found Joy of Cooking at thrift store 60 years ago, bought several for her daughters. Betty Crocker is the one I used as a kid...so 60's Looking at the pages, some have tons of stains and other pages spotless.

Few other books. I look for a few recipes, but mostly either I cook without recipe or it's printed out on sheets of paper (mostly cookies)

Have cookbook my MIL had.. So maybe 80 -85 years old. Love looking at it..How to keep food cold on your windowsill. How to set a table with 47 pieces of silverware. I never remember where to put the oyster fork.

I love a good cookbook. I’ll sit down with a new one and read it cover to cover like you would a novel. I chose 10-12 but it used to be way more. Over the years I’ve weeded them out to the standards like Betty Crocker (one vintage regular and one vintage children’s and the more modern counterparts) and Better Homes and Gardens (vintage and more modern). I’ve kept a Gourmet cookbook that my grandmother gave me on my wedding day though I don’t think I’ve ever used it. Then I have a binder with printouts and handwritten recipes from various family members and a bunch of cooking magazines. Also have a collection of digital cookbooks and an app with internet recipes. Then there’s my DD’s college books but those are way over my head. I use the app the most but the kids pull out the cookbooks all the time.

I have a lot of cookbooks. I also made a cookbook of all of our family favorites and made a copy for my granddaughter who loves to cook. A lot of those recipes cannot be found in a cookbook. They were created by me or another family member.

I currently have no cookbooks but I used to have more than you could count. I loved those Taste of Home cookbooks, I know I had everyone of those & their special editions also.
I rarely cook for anyone other than myself now & when I do cook for family or potlucks, it is usually family favorites that need no recipe.
I do look up some recipes online or watch a lot of tik tok recipe hacks, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter