slo’s THURSDAY 5/11 poll - Pistachios

Pistachios - Do you like them with or without the shell?

• I like them with the shell only

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • I like them without the shell only

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • I like them equally both ways

Votes: 41 40.6%
  • I like them 75% of the time with shell and 25% of the time without the shell

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • I like them 25% of the time with shell and 75% of the time without the shell

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • I don’t like pistachios

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • I’ve never tried pistachios - I should try

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I’ve never tried pistachios - I have no desire to try

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I can’t eat pistachios

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters
I like pistachios, either way. But haven't had in quite a long time now. If in the shell, I always use my teeth to split, not my fingers. And as said above, very much recall the red pistachio days of the past.

As a kid, my buddies and I would sit on one or another's front steps and eat them for a half hour or so. When finished, we had a pile of shells scattered all over the sidewalk. Ahhh, the days of being a kid.

We love pistachios and most nuts in our house. Because I have to eat GF I use a lot of nuts to make pie crusts instead of graham crackers, a pistachio crust with cannoli filling pie is a favorite.

Apparently the red color was used to hide the discolored shells that resulted from how they used to be processed in the Middle East. Most now sold in USA come from California and how they process them doesn't result in that discoloration so no need to dye them red anymore. Around the Holiday's have also seem green shells but tend to be hard to find.

I love pistachios. I love all nuts, really. Can't eat them anymore-no nuts of any kind allowed on my new way of eating.

I like them but don't buy them regularly. Bought a bag before a trip recently and they really hit the spot.

Strange… I’m on a flight today going to Utah and had purchased a bag of pistachios thinking they were shelled. Nope …shells were still on, should’ve paid closer attention. But they’re just as good!

I don't go out of my way to eat pistachios but I like them both ways. I would say they are more fun with the shell. I guess a mostly dormant hunter-gatherer part of my brain likes the satisfaction of putting a little muscle into getting some protein.

I like pistachios, along with most (all?) nuts. But I can’t say I buy them often. Other types of nuts seem to come to mind before them.

Give them to your kids and let them shell them and scatter the shells on the carpet of the plane ;)
We went to the Blue Jays vs Phillies the other day but I didn’t notice if anyone dumped a bucket of popcorn on that whiny entitled pitcher in the bullpen.

I have always purchased in the shell because it slows down how fast I eat them. :p
I prefer the ones in the shell for the same reason although I will eat shelled ones. I also like the flavored ones.

I eat some type of nut most days. My favorite are probably cashews with pistachios being a close second. The only ones I don’t like are walnuts—they make my tongue feel a little raw—probably a sensitivity.

We love pistachios and most nuts in our house. Because I have to eat GF I use a lot of nuts to make pie crusts instead of graham crackers, a pistachio crust with cannoli filling pie is a favorite.

Sounds delicious! I've bought the nut crusts for DH (has to watch sugar) but I never thought about making my own. It is fairy easy or kind of tricky?

Is this thread making anyone else remember reading “The Pistachio Prescription” by Paula Danziger?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter