slo’s THURSDAY 9/29 poll - Hurricane Ian - You, Your Family or Your Friends

Hurricane Ian - Who do you know in Florida (M.C.)

• I’m in Florida

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Family is in Florida

Votes: 31 46.3%
  • Friends are in Florida

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • Right in the path (west side of state)

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Right in the path (middle of state)

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Right in the path (east side of state)

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Outer bands only

• I / they evacuated

• I / they didn’t evacuate

Votes: 33 49.3%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 14 20.9%

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
To all of you that live in Florida or have family or friends in Florida right now - I hope everyone is ok and safe.

This leads me to ask……

Who do you know that’s in Florida right now?
Is it yourself? Or is it family or friends?
Were you or they in the storms path or are currently in the storms path? (this is posted at 6:15am cst)
(multiple choice)

*I just realized that I don’t have an option for not knowing anyone in Florida. For this answer please select “other”. I only have 10 slots to use, so I can’t always list everything I’d like to list.

For Me……I do know a couple of people in Fort Myers.
*One couple put on Facebook 11 hours ago they are ok (they are vacationing)
*Another couple, that lives there, said they had screens blow out of their house and several trees were down - that was over 12 hours ago.
*These couple are acquaintances of mine
*Neither couple evacuated
A787FE82-5ACF-4353-936C-41E654F08ED9.png

Little bit of everything - MIL has a home in Fort Myers (inland, not on the coast) but has been up North since June. Her boyfriend is full time in the area though. He was not in an evacuation zone, so he stayed home. Last we talked with him, he thought he’d be ok, but then lost power around 5pm, so that was the last time we heard from him.

I've got 25 friends in Viera, just south of Cocoa, umpiring a softball tournament that started Tuesday as well as friends living in Orlando and St. Pete. As far as I know everyone is fine and the worst has passed and missed them. I have a friend that is supposed to be flying into MCO tomorrow and I am supposed to be flying down next Wednesday to umpire the World Championships in Viera.

No family in Florida but my middle DS and DIL just bought a house in Charleston, SC and are in the first zone to evacuate if Ian regains strength. Their area has a Storm Surge Warning. The video of the devastation that has happened and still is happening in Florida just breaks my heart.

I said other. Both of my brothers-in-laws’ parents live in Florida. One set is right on the beach near Fort Myers and they moved inland a bit and are fine. Other brother-in-law, it’s just his mom and she is super cautious and flies up here anytime there’s a possibility of an issue. She is further north and inland, but in a trailer so probably smart. She’s been here several days and will stay long enough to be sure she has power and neighbors let her know how her home is.

I’m in Florida, essentially in the outer bands. I feel blessed to be here—my heart absolutely breaks seeing the damage in the path of this storm and knowing how it will impact so many lives. I have many, many family and friends who are affected, and I will be catching up with them and helping them all I can in the days and weeks ahead.

Several friends and coworkers - Naples / Ft Meyers - Orlando - Tampa - all over - then just head up Coast -
Praying everyone is ok - things can be fixed or replaced not people !!!

My brother and sister-in-law are the Orlando area, and battened down pretty confidently at home. My dad is about 40 minutes from there, and hunkered down with my aunt and uncle. I heard from everyone yesterday evening, and thankfully all were well so far. I do worry about them during these things.

Have friends in Orlando, they were ok last night but haven't heard from them this morning. Likely the power is out, or they were up all night and sleeping late today.

ETA: About an hour after I posted this I heard from all of them and everyone is fine. One household was without wifi, and had a very small issue on the outside of their house. My other friend is in apartment complex, neither of the residences lost power.

Last edited:
I am west of Orlando near Hwy 27. So far, I have not lost power and have no major damage. I will not relax until it’s over though, and we still have a few hours to go.

I seriously thought about evacuating, as I swore after Irma I would not ride out another one even though my house is safe and in an optimal location to ride out a hurricane. But I just couldn’t pull the trigger to go. I packed my bags with the items I could not bear to lose, looked at hotels online as far away as Mississippi, and just couldn’t do it. I think my subconscious might have picked up on the fact that if I left I might not be able to get back. So many roads are closed due to flooding now and there’s no way to expedite getting them dry again. It’s going to be difficult for the thousands of people who evacuated to get back home.

Uncle lives in Cape Coral. They evacuated days ago and are ok. I hope we can say the same for their condo when it is safe to return.

My best friend lives in Orlando area. They were staying, just ready for a lot of wind and rain. Haven't touched base this morning to see if she has power.

A 90 year old aunt and her daughter, my cousin, in Naples. Friends who moved to Sarasota just last spring. Another cousin in The Villages. I haven’t heard anything about any of them.

Plus numerous business associates. About 100 stores are closed in Florida.

a teammate lives in Cape Coral and she's been giving us live updates. As of 5 mins ago, she lost a bunch of shingles, neighbor's tree is down, no major damages.

I am at Royal Pacific hotel and the vacation for me has now been extended 4 days
and counting
Delta flights I have tried to reschedule keeps changing as flight cancellations are still going on
As of right now, I am to fly home tomorrow
With my luck, I will get stuck in Atlanta once the 2nd leg of my flight happens

My entertainment has solo been looking out the window in my hotel room…
Snacks were eaten on day 3
lol

My cousin and his wife live in Venice. I spoke to him 2 weeks ago but havent been able to reach him since. Nothing on their social media pages. I know power is out and cell service probably is too.

My oldest daughter is at UCF in Florida. Waiting to hear from her this morning. It has been nerve wracking watching the footage and being so far away. Praying for all the people in Florida.

Brother and his wife live in Pensacola (I think they are supposed to be on the safe side). One of my best friends also lives in Pensacola, but she's up north in Syracuse visiting friends right now, so they decided to stay a few extra days

To all in the path, please stay safe, and don't take any chances!

Two of my sisters have second homes in Venice. They are not there now. One BIL posted video of rain and wind from his security camera until power went out. No idea what kind of damage/flooding they may have sustained. Other BIL keeps a boat in Port Charlotte when they are there, but it is home in PA right now. I guess the harbor may be damaged.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter