slo’s TUESDAY 4/9 poll - Frozen vs Fresh vs Canned Vegetables

Fresh vs Canned vs Fresh Vegetables - What do you buy for your dinner table? (m.c,)

• Fresh

Votes: 69 76.7%
  • Canned

Votes: 35 38.9%
  • Frozen

Votes: 66 73.3%
  • I buy fresh most

Votes: 31 34.4%
  • I buy canned most

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • I buy frozen most

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • I don’t know - I don’t cook the meals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t cook the meals, but I do know what someone else buys & prepares

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • None of the above - I don’t eat vegetables

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
Many of us eat vegetables with our dinner every night or most every night. There are different choices with the type of vegetables we eat, and many of us feel pretty passionate about our choice(s).
So….share with us today…..

When you buy vegetables for your dinner table, do you choose fresh, frozen or canned?
Which one do you buy the most?
(multiple choice)
*you will be selecting one of your answers twice

For Me…..I buy frozen only. The only exception to this is corn on the cob, but it’s not enough for me to select fresh vegetables. My DH hates, absolutely hates canned vegetables - he says he can taste the aluminum (I think he’s crazy - LOL!) so therefore I don’t buy them unless it’s mushrooms to put on our frozen pizzas.

ETA….I do buy different types of potatoes and those are fresh, so I’m changing my vote to including fresh vegetables.

IMG_1639.jpeg

I can't stand frozen vegetables. Most taste waxy and the texture is odd, almost spongy, IMO. We do mostly fresh and canned, depending on the season and veg, except for petite peas and broccoli florets; those we buy frozen.

The vegetables we have most are broccoli and asparagus. Those are fresh as well as carrots which I prepare with dill. In the summer corn on the cob is probably served the most.

I buy frozen sugar snap peas, and corn, and then vegetable medleys. I prefer the frozen vegetables that are steamed in a bag.

Canned vegetables would be diced tomatoes and corn niblets which I use for corn bread. Since those are not served as dishes themselves, I didn’t vote for canned.

I buy mostly fresh. My choice for eating veggies is raw (salad, etc) or lightly cooked like in a stir-fry. I will buy frozen broccoli or a "veggie mix" occasionally because it's easy. The only veggies I buy canned are canned corn (my husband and daughter like it but I don't) and canned tomatoes (for recipes).

Fresh mostly and then frozen I used to do can but quality has really fell off the mountain so I gave up - only couple items frozen - like those where you get several mixed together with cheese and rice otherwise it’s fresh

Depends on the vegetable, but it’s a split between fresh and frozen. I try to stay seasonal on the fresh stuff, which means quite a bit of frozen here during our 5 month winter. And frozen is actually far better quality for taste and nutrition than something that’s been sitting in a truck for a week on its trek up from Mexico.

Leafy greens are of course always fresh. The only canned vegetable I ever buy is corn and potatoes (for quick hash browns). I don’t like frozen versions of either one of those. Canned tomatoes too, but that’s so ubiquitous, I’m not sure it even counts.

Frozen, fresh, and occasionally canned. All have sufficient nutrients but some lose texture in processing. I buy canned the least and it’s generally only beans and green peas.

Fresh veggies I buy in season and sometimes flash freeze for later use.

Large bags of veggies are economical and fresh tasting using modern methods of freezing. Thank goodness freezing in water is in decline. I like my veggies crisp in their natural state.

ETA: thanks to @TwoMisfits for reminding me that canned tomato products have a place in my pantry too. 👍🏾

Last edited:
My childhood scarred me from canned veg (cold veg out of a can is just not pleasant). School cafeterias and Perkins scarred me from frozen (the mixed veg bag, served soggy and salt-free...ugh).

So, I buy fresh...for everything.

The only canned veg I use are tomato products, diced green chilis, and (non-green) bean products (chickpeas, white beans, black beans) - and none are eaten as "the side", but are used as ingredients in a dish.

As for frozen, I use even less of that. My kids have gotten into frozen peas, so I have some for them. I have some frozen sweet potato and regular fries, but that's not really veg. And nothing else.

For our family of 6, I buy about 40-60lbs of fresh produce/week. And we go through it all. But again, it's 95% of the fruits and veg we eat.

Corn on the cob, potatoes (sometimes frozen fries) onion, carrots, Salad stuff, broccoli, Cauliflower, cole slaw mix,Fresh.

Assorted boxed frozen green giant veggies.(on sale)

Mushrooms fresh and canned

Sauerkraut canned

I do buy some canned veggies for food drives.

Boy this is a thinking poll. I have to keep adding items.

I buy bagged frozen mixed veggies to make my mom’s beef barley veggie soup.

Last edited:
We eat a ton of vegetables and mostly prefer fresh, but I do keep some frozen ones like green beans, spinach and broccoli on hand. My favorite way to cook frozen ones is to roast them at a high heat with garlic and onion powder and some salt and pepper. I don’t particularly like steamed veggies so usually either roast them or cook in a frying pan over high heat to get them a little crispy.

We also go through a ton of salads during the week so I always have leafy greens, cucumbers, carrots, onions, etc on hand fresh.

Mix of fresh and frozen.never canned.

Oh I guess the occasional can of tomatoes for like a stew or something. Rare can of creamed corn (once a year...) or canned mushrooms for pizza toppings.

Last edited:
I use all of them depending on what I am eating. I use frozen a lot for steamed beggies. For salads, a mix of fresh and canned - I throw in beans for protien and usually some canned beets and corn. I will alos toss a can of mixed vegetables in with a pack of ramen when I am being super lazy. They all have their purpose.

I will buy fresh, frozen and canned! Odd, maybe!
I always have 2 cans of green beans along with 2 cans of white sweet corn in my pantry!
In the freezer, a bag of sweetcorn nibblets, a bag of stir fry veggies and green giant's honey glazed carrots.
Fresh veggies include tomatoes, petite carrots, broccoli, asparagus, potatoes, green beans and all the add ins ( onion, garlic etc)

Mostly fresh, ate fresh growing up, my mom grew up poor and would never buy canned vegetables, just beans. I’ve only tasted canned beans. She always had fresh cut up carrots, celery, peppers, radishes, washed romaine, fresh onions, potatoes, garlic, plus any vegetables she needed for meals. I do the same, won’t buy bagged lettuce but will buy bagged baby spinach. I keep frozen broccoli in the freezer for an emergency egg casserole and frozen corn for recipes like chicken tortilla soup. Only fresh garlic. We grow a lot vegetables and herbs in the summer. My family eats all vegetables, with Brussels sprouts the favorite. We even grow our own kale, sometimes it survives all winter.

I grew up almost exclusively on canned vegetables overcooked into mush, the way my father liked them. :crazy2: Sometimes even potatoes were canned. Canned corn was acceptable but the rest were gross.

The worst was Veg-All mixed vegetables. It tasted like can.

For sides, I mostly use those steamer boxed kind, lightly sauced.

Fresh: bell peppers, zucchini, salad ingredients, mushrooms, eggplant, mirepoix stuff, etc.

I think the only things I buy in cans are diced tomatoes and kidney beans. (Walmart brand is fine.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter