• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

slo’s WEDNESDAY 2/28 poll - Skiing ⛷️

Skiing - Are you or were you a skier and how often do you ski? (m.c.)

• I’m currently a skier

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • I was a skier

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • I tried skiing in the past

Votes: 33 37.1%
  • I hit the slopes once a year

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I hit the slopes multiple times a year

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • I do not ski every year

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I ski/ed with family

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I ski/ed with friends

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • I ski/ed with others - please post who

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 21 23.6%

• Total voters
Former skier here. Went many times when I was younger. Wife and I actually owned a timeshare at Cranmore mt. in N.H. for a while. Last time we skied was about 9 years ago.
Funny side story, we had to sell our timeshare to the state when they wanted the land for a new highway. Took the money and bought our DVC membership, so it worked out well for us!

I've gone a handful of times in my life, all back when our boys were younger and they wanted me to go ski with them. One skis and the other one snowboards. I enjoyed it, but my wife doesn't ski and most of our friends don't either, so there really hasn't been many other opportunities to go.

I chose Other because I went to Vermont with some friends in the late 90s, and they all wanted to go skiing. I went to the slopes, and immediately knew it was a big 'nope.' So me and a couple others went to one of the lodges and sat near the fire. And that's my ski story.

I have never been snow skiing. It's not something my parents were interested in doing (although my mom says she used to go when she was young/single) and by the time I got old enough to go without them, I felt like everyone else knew how to ski and I would have held them back. We offered our kids the opportunity to join "ski club" at their high school and learn there, but neither was interested.

I did used to be a pretty decent water skier though... but I haven't done that in many years and would probably hurt myself if I tried now, so I think my skiing days are probably over.

When I turned 15, I was a member of the National Junior Ski Patrol. I also raced. When I got to college I defected from the ski patrol to the ski school because that paid. I would get huge tips from parents when I taught private lessons to their small children.

I had to take a year off of skiing my senior year of college after breaking my tib/fib while starting a lawn mower. The next season the owners sold the ski area and they did away with the ski school.

I've only skied a few times since then. It was really hard going from getting paid to ski to having to pay to ski. We also got huge discounts on equipment and that obviously went away.

Now it's way too expensive and the traffic up to the ski areas is ridiculous here in CO.

I'm from Colorado. Used to ski every weekend until I needed foot surgery and can no longer wear ski boots. My kids were around 2 when they started skiing. It's in our blood.

Never done it, never will. I'm from Georgia, I don't like snow. I also am capable of falling down just walking out my door so don't need anything slippery.

I have been on 5-10 ski vacations and enjoyed them all.

I live far from good ski resorts or would have gone more often.

Now at 52 having never really become that skilled I would be afraid of injury. My ski days may be past.

I remember eating a bowl of chili mid mountain one day and watching the 70-80+ year olds come in for lunch. My wife and I said we wanted to be like them but I think that ship has sailed.

I grew up near the Poconos. As such, skiing was a pretty large part of the overall community/schools. But, I tried it once and couldn't get those skis off my feet quick enough.

A few ski slopes/lodges created tube runs to broaden the appeal. That was one of the first dates that my wife and I shared as I barreled into her at the end of a run (of course, on accident as she laughed hysterically).

I've never skied. The coordination of it and getting off the lift scare me. I've ridden the lift during off season but to think of doing in skis to go downhill - uh nope.

I skied as a kid. My parents put me in a local ski club so I went out every Saturday in the winter months to ski. I was actually pretty good as I was also an ice skater and knew my edges well to do the turns. My junior high always had mini ski trips when there were days off school, and even before I was old enough to officially go on the trips, my parents would volunteer so I could go and ski those days. The one day the ski operator was a little concerned I was kind of young going up on the ski lift on one of the bigger hills alone and another looked over at me and said I was fine as I was there all the time and a very good skier already. Have not been in years but I am sure I could probably pick it up again pretty easily.

For Me…….I went skiing one time in my life and I hated every single minute of it (sorry skiers). I’ve never had a desire to try it again - I’m not a winter girl and want no part of winter activities.
Same. Went on a Girl Scout trip to the Poconos once. Tried skiing then -- had a whole lesson. Didn't really care for it and never went back.

I did enjoy water skiing at summer camp, though!

II did a copy and paste here from a thread from about 6 weeks ago here on the CB.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/spouse-so.3937762/page-5#post-65260898

In January of 1968 (this date is important to my story), there was going to be a company ski trip up in neighboring Wisconsin. This was not an overnight event. I had recently taken up a bit of skiing in the previous and current years and thought this would be an opportune time to ask Marie for a first date. Kind of low key, other familiar people around, etc. Well, I asked her at work if I could call her in the evening to ask her something. Amazingly, she gave me her home phone number and said I could call. (I think that is the way that part worked, after all, that was 56 years ago, memory gets fuzzy). Anyway, I did call her and talked a bit and then asked about taking her on the ski trip. Well, the answer was a quick, no. She said she did not ski and was not about to learn how to ski. Now, I did find out, later down the road, that Marie had given herself a workplace policy of not dating people from within the company. Too many horror stories of things going wrong and the subsequent fallout at work.

And I've never have skied since, But we're married almost 53 years now. :laughing:

Well, I did water ski one summer, maybe around the late 80's/early 90's. Being sensible and around 50 years old then, I left that to the younger folks from then on.

I've skied a couple of times., years ago. I did enjoy it and would happily consider it again.

So sorry about your friend. 🌹

• Love
Reactions: slo
I've never skied. The coordination of it and getting off the lift scare me. I've ridden the lift during off season but to think of doing in skis to go downhill - uh nope.
I have had some spectacular falls, the most exciting being off the lift.

I was so concerned with getting my 7 year old son off the lift that I let the tips of my skis dip at just the wrong time.

The skis dug into the show and flipped me out of the lift leaving my son in the chair. The chair then slammed into the back of my head.

All the while my wife, daughter, and lift operator were watching. The lift operator was so stunned he did not stop the lift. My son yelled to his mom asking what to do and my wife told him to just stay sitting. As he road around his legs hit the emergency stop bar and the lift stopped.

Everyone assumed I was injured or dead.

I popped up and pulled my skis out of the snow and walked out of the way so I could get them put back on.

I was uninjured, well maybe my pride was a little hurt, due to luck and a helmet.

I skied many times in my younger years, but haven’t in a long time. DH is an avid skier, who taught me to ski when we were dating, and I got to be pretty good at it. DS started at age 5, and we used to go on family trips, mostly in the Northeast. DH still skis about once a year with friends and family members, but my skiing days are over. We joke that he’s been waiting to get a discounted or free lift ticket as a senior, and now that he’s in his early 60’s, most of the ski areas have raised the age to 70 or 75.

Incidentally, many may not be aware that the standard ski trail rating system used throughout North America (green, blue, black diamond, etc.) was originated by Disney.

https://insidethemagic.net/2020/02/walt-disneys-everlasting-effect-on-ski-resorts-tm1/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter