• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

slo’s WEDNESDAY 2/28 poll - Skiing ⛷️

Skiing - Are you or were you a skier and how often do you ski? (m.c.)

• I’m currently a skier

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • I was a skier

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • I tried skiing in the past

Votes: 33 37.1%
  • I hit the slopes once a year

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I hit the slopes multiple times a year

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • I do not ski every year

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I ski/ed with family

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I ski/ed with friends

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • I ski/ed with others - please post who

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 21 23.6%

• Total voters
grew up skiing in Yosemite and Tahoe. Then switched to snowboarding in college which I still occasionally do now. Now my kids are learning. I'm looking forward to them to get a little better and we can all go on the slopes together.

Oh my, she was so young. My condolences. :grouphug:

I have never been skiing. Never really wanted to. I could see myself as the person sitting by the fireplace in the ski lodge, sipping hot cocoa and enjoying the scenery through the windows (so long as I didn’t have to drive to the lodge through the snow myself).

• Love
Reactions: slo
Thank you to all that mentioned the young lady that passed away. She was a great human being. Her passing is such a reminder to hug those you love often, because tomorrow is never promised.

I have never skied. I am a bit clumsy so not sure I would be good at it and at 54, probably shouldn’t try.

If you go into something with the idea that you’re not going to like it then the outcome will probably be that you don’t enjoy the experience.

Lessons make all the difference when learning how to ski. And taking it slow. You’re not going to master the sport overnight.

And if one dresses properly for the conditions then one won’t get cold.

Is skiing expensive? Yes and no. The initial cost of the equipment can be pricey but using it over several seasons brings down the cost per season. Lift tickets at the big “fancy” areas are expensive but the smaller local type areas aren’t that expensive and the community experience is much better than at those big places.

Skiing can be challenging. But so can going to Disney! It’s all about how you approach what you’re going to do. ⛷️

Never been. Growing up, I always thought it was a sport for rich people.

Guess my granddaughters are now rich people. Their middle school/high school has a ski club. There a mountain maybe 30 mins away.

Went once with girl scouts when I was a kid. Got skis on and tried to walk in them. Took them off and went to sit by a fire. Was not for me.

I loved water skiing....did so many times on the Mississippi back in the last 70s

Snow skiing....went a couple of times in Colorado (Breckenridge and Keystone) Didn't care for it, tho.

I loved water skiing....did so many times on the Mississippi back in the last 70s

Snow skiing....went a couple of times in Colorado (Breckenridge and Keystone) Didn't care for it, tho.
Makes me think of Jodie Foster in Freaky Friday!

I always think it would be lovely to be able to water ski! I tried it once on vacation. It didn't go well! 😂 I found snow skiing easier.

My husband skis I do not. I tried to learn at a nearby place but lack the coordination and an old ankle injury makes me unnervy.

But I've been on multiple skiing trips and just people watched, read a book and listened to music while the in-laws skiied.

My husband will actually be skiing next Friday when he's on a work trip. Helmets are a must IMO.

One thing I think more resorts should do is what we just encountered earlier this month at Snowbasin in Utah where they had a sightseeing pass. This allows you to go up on the lifts and be up on the mountain but you aren't skiing or snowboarding. I always miss the views when they ski and this allowed me to get to see them.

These are probably my fav pics of that trip
1709150243980.png
1709150280765.png

For Me…….I went skiing one time in my life and I hated every single minute of it (sorry skiers). I’ve never had a desire to try it again - I’m not a winter girl and want no part of winter activities. Skiing has been on my mind lately because a 22yr old lovely young lady I knew died while skiing a few weeks ago - she hit a tree. So if you are a skier, please be careful when hitting the slopes.

Your experience is much like mine. I went once as a kid. I hated it. I do not care to do it again.

I went skiing once and hated it, too. I should have had a lesson first. It might have helped. But I will never try it again. :)

But I did have a wonderful family vacation in Steamboat Springs. Most of the family skied while two of us hiked. It was a great time.

Up until 2020 we skied every Sunday. the kids were in ski school with our friends kids and we as parents skied together. It was a fun Sunday. Then IKON pass came and since then the 30ish minute (door to chairlift) drive is now 90min, due to traffic. Now you reserve and pay for parking, before it was free & easy to find a spot, and unless it was an epic power day.
I’m glad that people can afford to ski using their inexpensive IKON pass ($500-1000) as a regular day ticket is now more than a 1 day park hopper ($150-200+ resort depending).
But for us the crowds and parking made it miserable, so now we snowshoe or hike using spikes instead.

I started skiing at about age 12 and finally had to give it up at around 60 because of bad knees and bad eyesight. Some of my best memories are of skiing with family and friends. I loved it. I've been to most of the western U.S. resorts. Vail is my favorite. ❤️

I have been skiing twice once with my cousin , his wife and her brother (hence my reply of other) and once with my sister and her husband. Two co secutive weekends. Never again.

We live 30 minutes from some of the best ski slopes on Planet Earth - of course I was a skier. :goodvibes We haven't been out since before Covid and in those ensuing years, DH now feels like he's aged out and isn't fit enough to fully enjoy it anymore. We just talked about it last night. It's very possible I'll never be out again but I do have plenty of great memories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter