• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

slo’s WEDNESDAY 8/17 poll - Times Square

Times Square - Have you been? Do you want to go? Did you enjoy your visit? (M.C.)

• I have been to Times Square once

Votes: 34 24.6%
  • I have been to Times Square more than once

Votes: 67 48.6%
  • I enjoyed my visit(s)

Votes: 56 40.6%
  • I did not enjoy my visit(s)

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • I have not been to Times Square - I want to visit there

Votes: 12 8.7%
  • I have not been to Times Square - I’m indifferent about visiting there

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • I have not been to Times Square - I have no desire to visit there

Votes: 17 12.3%
  • What is Times Square?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
You've never been to Pigeon Forge, Myrtle Beach, Branson, Wisconsin Dells? Pretty much everywhere tourists go, there are tourist traps. Heck. Just look at the Orlando area other than Disney and Universal. Now THAT'S what I call tourist trap.

Yes I've been to the Dells. Once and never again. I agree that is a tourist trap. I mean drive hundreds of miles just to go to a waterpark filled with screaming kids? LOL no thanks. Even Disneyland is a peaceful oasis compared to those waterparks at the Dells.

DD19 and I have been to NYC twice. The first time she did a summer dance program with the Radio City Rockettes. Our hotel was just a few blocks away from Times Square, so we went there almost every night. She loved it, and we knew how to easily get there and back from our hotel. We went the following year with her high school's drama club, and it was so fun with all the students being there. We're from a small town, so everyone loved being in the big city and Times Square was a great way to start the trip! Lots of fun memories and great photos there.
We didn't find it too terribly busy most of the time. The characters could get pretty pushy, but you get used to ignoring them.
We were trying to plan a quick trip out there this summer, and DD mentioned being sure we had time to see Times Square again, so I'm sure we'll be back when we can:)

That is because Times Square is a complete joke and if you think Times Square is NYC you are missing the point.
Yeah, I know it's a joke. So small. As I posted, if you blink, you'll walk right through without knowing.

That was however the question of the thread, not "have you been to NYC?"

I live outside of Philly and go to NYC 2-4 times a month for shows or food (NYC does have the best food). I try to avoid Times Square as much as possible when I'm there but I end up passing through to get to my theatre, the AMC, or to cross over for the Disney Store. There's just so many people, they don't move at all, and stop in the middle of the sidewalk - never do that in NYC or anywhere. I think its definitely a must do for tourists, but honestly, its kind of a let down when you're actually there. Its quite small but it really is neat at nighttime with all the billboards lit up. If you celebrate, go during Christmas to see the tree a few blocks over. That is really neat.

Saw it once. That was enough. I'm not a NYC fan in general, DS lived in Manhattan for a couple of years. It's just too big for me. I love living near DC though.

My first thought was "Good Lord, NO!" because I thought you meant for New Years Eve. :rockband:
But just to see it while in NY at another time, that would be fine, so I changed my vote to indifferent.

My first thought was "Good Lord, NO!" because I thought you meant for New Years Eve. :rockband:
But just to see it while in NY at another time, that would be fine, so I changed my vote to indifferent.
Haha! I feel the same way about New Orleans. It's a lot of fun, but I wouldn't want to be there for Mardi Gras, and like Times Square, it's only fun for a day or two.

Haha! I feel the same way about New Orleans. It's a lot of fun, but I wouldn't want to be there for Mardi Gras, and like Times Square, it's only fun for a day or two.
Clearly you haven't done the real New Orleans (I live here). Mardi Gras in the French Quarter, not so much. Mardi Gras on St. Charles Ave with the local families boiling crawfish in huge pots on the street and the kids running around tossing toy footballs or sitting up on big ladder seats with a birds eye view and everyone chatting like they've been friends forever? That's the real Mardi Gras. And the real New Orleans isn't Bourbon Street. It's the individual neighborhoods with the corner bars and tiny grocery stores that serve 5 star food from a little counter in the back and the knowledge that every time you walk out the door you're going to have a really cool adventure if you're open to it.

Speaking of Bourbon Street, that's how I view Times Square. If I was a local, I'm sure I wouldn't go near it (except to get to the theaters). But I've been a few times, and as a tourist I enjoy it briefly. But I don't think it equals NYC, a city that I absolutely love, any more than I think Bourbon Street equals New Orleans.

I go to NYC fairly often. I walk through Time Square to get from point A to B but it’s not somewhere I would choose to and hang out, shop, or eat.

I have stayed in the Marriott Time Square for work several times but rarely leave the hotel when there for work, I have occasionally walked over to Juniors for a piece of cheesecake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter