Sloppy eaters.

slzer0

DIS Veteran
Any tips for hedonistic little toddlers who love making a mess no matter what? Lol. I'd like to try and keep the mess to a minimum.

I'm planning changes of clothes and zip locks for the messy outfits. He hates bibs. Always has.
What about those sticky placemats?

He is 2.5 and I think a high chair will keep him a bit more contained than a booster. I've heard their high chairs are smaller than usual. Any truth to that? Will he be the only 2.5yo in a high chair? (At home he doesn't have any siblings of a close age so we still use one for him - it's more convenient and he doesn't realize there are other options)

Any tips for hedonistic little toddlers who love making a mess no matter what? Lol. I'd like to try and keep the mess to a minimum.

I'm planning changes of clothes and zip locks for the messy outfits. He hates bibs. Always has.
What about those sticky placemats?

He is 2.5 and I think a high chair will keep him a bit more contained than a booster. I've heard their high chairs are smaller than usual. Any truth to that? Will he be the only 2.5yo in a high chair? (At home he doesn't have any siblings of a close age so we still use one for him - it's more convenient and he doesn't realize there are other options)

No tips from me. I just changed her shirt if needed. But, I loved those disposable placemats when DD was little.

stick to chicken and french fries to reduce the messiness? :)

My boys are older at 13,10,5 but they can still make a good mess with the foods, especially mickey bars during the summer, we just have the wash down real good in the restroom, even wash the grub off the shirts and shorts as needed.. it dries quick enough.. no different than walking around post Splash Mountain :)

My boys are 2.5 and are in high chairs when we eat out, I fully expect them to be in disney's high chairs in a month! I hope we won't be the only ones.

Don't lay out a whole meal in front of him at once. Give him a few bites at a time. When he's finished with those, give him a few more. At restaurants, you can bring your own small bowls or containers. If he's eating mac and cheese, for example, put a small amount in a bowl. Give him more when he's finished it. If he's going to make a mess, he'll have a smaller amount of food to work with. You can also stick to whole foods. Chicken, fries, veggies, pizza, etc. cut into small pieces and only a few at a time. Save the sticky yogurt, applesauce, etc. for home. Also, use cups with lids and straws to minimize spills.

Thanks everyone!
Glad I'm not the only one with a messy 2yo still in a high chair lol

I had one VERY neat eater and one VERY messy eater! I would still use the high chair if it gets him closer to the table. One of mine (the neat one) HATED high chairs and did better in a booth close to me, sitting on his knees. Both HATED bibs. What I did for the messy one, was to use an old t-shirt or a button up shirt, buttoned backward over his regular clothes. Size up a few sizes. He objected less and it kept him cleaner. I also would give him only a few bites of food at a time, and avoided really messy things or would offer them with finger foods and I would feed him those messy foods. Now I know he needed to feed himself, and at home he did, but sitting in a nice or even a signature restaurant... it would not hurt for me to feed him. Even though you do have to keep expectations in line with a two year old, be sure that you are setting and expecting good table manners. He must sit still, face the table, use his spoon or fork on foods that need it, and dropping or throwing foods are never tolerated. We ALWAYS used disposable place mats with the food allergy kid (the neat one), but they can be helpful. Plenty of wipes or even a cloth wash cloth for clean up. Clean the area as best you can, and tip extra if you have to leave a messy area. At WDW I liked my kids dressed in certain clothes for certain parks, so I did my best to keep those clothes clean, but I did not obsess over it at all. Ever see the Jon and Kate WDW episode????? We have plenty of pictures of Popsicle covered kids at WDW;)

Great tips. I also have certain outfits planned. 2 per park. I may bring a dishcloth to clean up in the bathroom if needed.
I always tip extra if my kids are along - I used to wait tables so I know how it is. Lol

Manners were so easy with my first. Ben is certainly my challenge. <3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter