Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Recipe Needed

I also use rootbeer...enough to almost cover the entire roast....so a whole 2 liter. When the roast is done (8 hours on low or until it falls apart)...I empty all the rootbeer out...and add some Sweet Baby Rays sauce...yummy!!!! It falls apart and is so tender! I always use a Boston "rear-end" when making pulled pork....the guy at the meat counter said it is the most tender.

Love the idea of adding coleslaw to the sandwich! I will have to try that next time.

I also use rootbeer but maybe only 1/2 of a 2 liter bottle and about a quarter of a bottle of sweet baby rays hickory brown sugar bbq sauce. After many failed attempts with different cuts of pork I only use pork tenderloins. Not as budget friendly but it is leaner and shreds the easiest. After it is cooked I empty out most of the liquid then add more sweet baby rays and cook a little longer. My teenage boys love it!!

I would not do pork butt in the crock pot. I would do tenderloin. We tried a pork butt last month in the roaster and it was horrid (guessing crock would be same or worse.) It was extremely greasy and not all that good tasting. I think you need a dry cook such as a smoker for pork butt rather than a moist cook like in a crock or roaster where all the grease will hold in the meat.

We have pork tenderloin pulled and sauced all the time from the crock pot. We were just having a large birthday party and thought the shoulder would work well in the roaster and it didn't at all.

Don't forget, with a shoulder, you want to go well past the point of cooked in order to render all the fat out of it. I pulled mine at 200°. It certainly was fall apart tender and juicy, just it was VERY greasy tasting rather than flavorful.

Pulled pork really makes me want a smoker though to make some real BBQ. I missed out on Home Depot's clearance sale on the $300 Weber Smokey Mountain for $40 :mad:

McCormicks has a dry slow cooker pulled pork mix. You add ketchup, and some other stuff to it....we have used it several times...it is really tasty.

McCormick's slow cooker pulled pork envelope of seasoning.

I have a former co-worker that LOVES to cook. Good stuff. Goes to all of the Food Channel shows that come to town, spends a fortune on equipment and ingredients.

She uses the McCormick. It's really good.

This is what I use too. I have done the bottle of BBQ, my own spice blend, coke recipes but I always go back to good ole' McCormick :thumbsup2

This is the most amazing delicious pulled pork recipe ever. My boyfriend found it here: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Pulled_Pork and since finding it we haven't looked back to our old ways of making it. We've made it at least 10 times since finding the recipe.

We always do the "advanced" version. As the website where it's from says, "This recipe is crock-pot nirvana".

Ingredients

5 lb of boston butt/pork shoulder (Honestly this recipe can be done with whatever your crockpot fits, you just may have to cook it longer)
1 onion, peeled and quartered
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
~1 cup dark brown sugar
Worcestershire Sauce
Salt & Pepper
Method

BASIC PULLED PORK
Score the roast gently with a knife then rub liberally with Worchestershire sauce until coated.
Place the quartered onion in the crock pot, place shoulder on top and cover the meat with a layer of brown sugar as a crust.
Pour around 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar over top it (May vary based on roast size)
Pour more worchestershire sauce over the meat as well, probably as much as 1/4 cup. (I generally use as much as 2/3 of the smallest bottle size making this with a decent sized roast)
Cook on low for 8 hours. Flip it over half way through if you remember, but this isn't critical.
Shred the meat, most easily done using two forks pulling apart. Toss any bone, fat, or gristle encountered during the shredding. Salt and pepper to taste.

ADVANCED PULLED PORK
Additional Ingredients
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
Garlic Powder
Cayenne Pepper
1.5 tbsp cornstarch
Method
Do all of the above. Set aside the shredded pork
Take the juice at the bottom of the pot, ladle off the fat, and put it in a sauce pan. Discard the onion. Heat over medium till it simmers.
Add 1/2 cup ketchup and 1 tbsp liquid smoke. Stir/whisk till combined.
Take 1.5 tablespoons of cornstarch, and mix well with 1 cup cold water (DO NOT ADD DIRECTLY TO HOT JUICE OR IT WILL GET CLUMPY) Whisk into saucepan.
Let it simmer till you like the consistency. Now it's time to season. Salt and pepper to taste. With no salt it will taste like blandness. Add garlic powder and cayenne pepper to taste (~1/2 teaspoon each). Don't salt it till you like the consistency or it will be too salty after it reduces/thickens. Pour the sauce over the shredded and seasoned pork, mix it all up.

Pork butt vs Tenderloin

True pulled pork is done with fatty meat. The whole purpose of the butt and slow cook is that the fat and tissue melts down and coats the meat giving it the buttery texture. In the real world I'm not a fan of fat, I trim everything and will seperate it while eating. However if you want pulled pork or even beef roast to have that velvet texture and yummy taste (a true pulled pork or roast can be served without sauce or gravy because of the moist velvety coating it gets from the fat) you have to use a butt or roast.

Just saying, and if you prefer a leaner meat than tenderloin is a better choice but you won't ever get the right texture or taste for a true shredded or pulled meat. But I"m from bbq country and well i'm fussy about it. Lots of places say they do bbq but probably half of them are not a true product. Maybe it's a midwest farm culture sort of thing, but around here tenderloin is not pulled pork.

I actually do like tenderloin smoked and served with bbq sauce but sliced not shredded.

Here's another option :thumbsup2

Rub pork with taco seasoning (1 envelope for mild 2 for spicy ) and place in a crockpot that has been sprayed with Pam. Add a 4 oz can of chopped ortega chiles, some chopped onion and 1/4 cp of vinegar. Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours. Shred and return to pot and let simmer for another 20 - 30 minutes. Serve in warm flour tortillias with lettuce, tomato and Cheese. :love:

I just throw the pork hiney(we always use the hiney) in the crock pot with some root beer and cook it on low for about 8 hours. It comes out sooooo tender and juicy. Shred it with two forks and divide ut up for different uses. Add bbq sauce for pulled pork sandwiches or re-warm in a skillet with fajita spices and cumin for tacos. My DH does an awesome job with pork on the big smoker outside, but when I want to do a smaller amount indoors, this is my go to recipe.

Another vote here for the McCormick packet. You add ketchup, apple cider vinegar and brown sugar....it's super yummy - with a kick too...

We do one that's a little different.

Pork shoulder
Day old Pot of Coffee (10 or 12 cup)
Can of cheap beer
tablespoon liquid smoke (hickory is best - but other flavors work)
1 whole Onion - peeled
Salt & Pepper

Put all ingredients in pot and top with water until roast is covered.

Cook all day in crock pot then after shredding top with BBQ sauce.

The meat is tangy not sweet so we tend to top with a sweet (Honey or Brown Sugar) BBQ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter